New member questions - how do you pick your camping spots?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ben C

New member questions - how do you pick your camping spots?

Post by Ben C »

Hi all,

After a bit of a break from cycling in general I'm starting to get back in to it. I had been borrowing my brothers Gary Fisher Fat Possum for the last few years on a long term loan (though not riding itmuch) but that's gone back so I'm now down to my pub bike/ back up bike of an early 2000s Marin Bear Valley.
Anyways, I'm just starting to ride more again on the old cheap bike ( which will be replaced with a spanking new one when my work get their arse into gear and sort out cycle to work) and really want to combine it with some camping. Used to love going off camping but with a 4 year old and number 2 due in autumn I've realiased the only way I'm going to manage it is if I set off after bedtimes and get back early doors.
My brother gave me his old Jack Wolfskin gossamer 1 man (not sure I'm ready for bivvying just yet) but need to find somewhere to use it, which brings me to the original question..

I live between leeds and york at the min and want to start out with some short rides, 10-15 miles out then same back the next morning. How do you guys identify a suitable spot? There's a few clumps of woodland dotted about but they all seem to be close to a farm or a house or to a main road etc etc. For those of you that don't live on mid Wales or the Highlands, do you just pick a quiet spot and hope for the best?

Ben
Moder-dye

Re: New member questions - how do you pick your camping spot

Post by Moder-dye »

The usual rule of 'stealth camping' is arrive late, leave early. Tree/scrub cover/wall/hedge is good. Obviously dayglow tents and fires are a no no :lol:

I use google or bing aerials to scope out potential sites, even in Scotland, in advance. Look for avoiding close by habitation and obvious dog walking routes.

But if its an on the fly doss, audax/ITT style, then any where out sight for a few hours usually works.

If you're riding to camp and chill out somewhere rather than just looking for a spot to sleep you'd want to be more selective.
Last edited by Moder-dye on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There are many factors in selecting a spot - availability of water, height, wind, natural shelter, insects, etc but if the main one os not 'getting caught' then a tent is going to make things harder. I believe a tent also makes you appear more 'permanent' to anyone who does spot you. A tent wil also limit your options as they generally require a large(ish) flat area to pitch, whereas a bivvy simply requires that you've room to lie down .... if you don't fancy the thought of a bivvy, how about a hammock? Maybe worth considering.

Anyway, woods are usually a safe bet but can be frequented by early morning dog walkers. Select a spot away from paths / tracks and hidden from view as much as possible, something like a natural hollow or behind a fallen tree. Keep any light to an absolute minimum inc' fires as it'll attract attention for miles especially in quiet rural areas.

Another option is to hide in plain sight. It's often surprising how forthcoming people will be if you ask if it's okay to sleep on the football pitch, village green, pub garden, especially after a few minutes spent chatting first. However, this approach might be best avoided in busier areas where you're likely to become the centre of attention for every drunk / youth / busy-boddy. :wink:

This was on the TNR a couple of years ago. Although rght next to a main road we were hidden from view by a 3' high banking. There's no way we could have put a tent or even a tarp up but we had a decent night despite the thunder storm :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I thought the standard approach was to ride past all the good spots because it too early/windy/exposed etc etc and then finally end up in a midge infested ditch because going back would be stupid?

Only to ride past the perfect spot 100yds further on after packing up in the morning.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Stu's covered most of it but I'd add that if you can see house lights then they can potentially see you. The countryside at night is very dark and lights, even small ones, stand out. People tend to know where the lights from neighbours are so if there's something new then it's something to investigate.

It's a bit easier at this time of year with everything in full leaf which means that woods and hedgerows help hide you.

Go for a ride in the daytime and note likely bivy spots, no-one is going to take note of a cyclist stopped at the side of the road, if you have wandered off-road for a bit of investigation then you've just been for a call of nature :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This one was a nice pitch in the IoM. We were only about 10 yards from a fireroad but we were raised above it by 15 feet so couldn't be seen by anyone using it. Also a good example of the requirements for bivvy bag / tarp and what would be required for a tent, ie you couldn't have pitched a tent here.

Worth considering any and all options - this is the porch of a building erected by natural resources Wales for horse riders to use ... and cold bikepackers.

Again, only a matter of feet from a country lane but completely hidden from view unless someone was stood on the opposite river bank which would be unlikely as there were no paths, etc.

A popular spot for visitors hence the visitor toilet block but by arriving in the dark (easy, it was January) and packing up (but not actually leaving) early we were never there. :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Enjoying this thread. Always nice to be reminded about how the 'noble art of bivvying' is executed in its various ways. Some ace reminders, tips and examples from Stu - I really must get over to Spot #3 in your photos, it's a corker. Would just add, from the 'experience enhancement' POV, if at all possible DON'T pre-scope (G'Earth etc) potential spots - find them on the fly because it really is way more satisfying. I'm still not that good at it and 'must try harder'. Big fan of the 'hide in plain sight' ploy myself :smile:. Do try and take the 'tarp/bivibag' plunge though, many more spots will become usable - and what's the worst that could happen without a tent? Actually, a more helpful question is what's the best that could happen without a tent - try it and you'll find out :-bd.
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I agree about not scoping them in advance, if only for the learning experience.

As it gets later, the chances of someone spotting you goes down, so your chances of a better spot increase - that’s my theory anyway. Later on your standards of acceptable accommodation also go down, so it’s a double win.

I generally find spaces behind walls, small woods, that sort of thing. If you can’t see anyone from your site, they can’t see you...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

jam bo wrote:I thought the standard approach was to ride past all the good spots because it too early/windy/exposed etc etc and then finally end up in a midge infested ditch because going back would be stupid?

Only to ride past the perfect spot 100yds further on after packing up in the morning.
There’s this for sure! Happens all too often...
Ben C

Post by Ben C »

Cheers for all the replies.

Seems there's a pretty broad consensus to ditch the tent and get myself a bivvy! If I do start getting in to this then I will do, Alpkit Hunka seems a pretty safe bet. Will stick with the gear I've got for the first couple of trips then start buying bits as I go.
As for the location, there's a few clumps of trees I can see on the map within 10 miles or so that look like they'd do. Busy over the next few weeks but should be able to have a crack after that. Should be interesting!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just got back from a (road) ride and went past a spot that could probably take about one hundred tarps/tents less than two metres from the road and they wouldn't be seen! The hedge/bushes at the side of the road are so dense you can't see through them even at low bike speeds. Unless you shone a light towards the road then someone in a car going past at night isn't going to see you. In winter it's open to the road but not now.

I remembered using this covered platform outside a community centre on the Braunton 150 a couple of years ago. It faced over the playing field and across open fields. The other side of the centre was a housing estate. I doubt anyone knew I was there - had to make sure I didn't trigger the PIR controlled light at the end though :lol:

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ben C

Post by Ben C »

There's certainly some interesting locations there! Having only ever stayed at campsites, however basic some of them might have been, I think I just need to alter my perceptions about what I can call an acceptable spot.
As mentioned earlier, I'll be sticking with the tent and gear I've got for a couple of local over nighters over the next couple of months. If I find myself being drawn in to this slightly odd world then I'll be back for kit advice for bivvy/ tarp set up.

On a side note, any Yorkshire folk tried Bishop woods near Selby? Not far from me while I'm getting started and getting my fitness up.