Scott frame warranty

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

Scott frame warranty

Post by ericrobo »

Is 5 years.

My recent Borders 220 trip was on my Scott Scale 900, and it’s suffered a cracked left seat stay. I bought the bike 3 years and 5 months ago.

Scott warranty have only been sent a picture of the damage, having removed my Mudhugger rear mudguard first.
They are saying something has been clamped to the seat stay...

It has, a couple of zip ties holding the mudguard, on top of covering tape.

I make sure the zip ties are tight.

On Mudhugger’s site they advise that zip ties must be tight, and frame protected, otherwise it can cause frame damage.

Any ideas from anyone who has a better idea than me... ?
Would a tiny tiny bit of movement, if the zip tie slipped off the covering, be enough to wear the carbon ?
Is carbon that fragile ?

Ps - anybody want a Scott Scale 900 frame with a cracked seat stay...? It’s very light :roll:
Scattamah

Re: Scott frame warranty

Post by Scattamah »

Not sure if it's much help, but I can say with certainty that if you don't tape the affected area, carbon will get eaten through very quickly. I have a pair of notches in a set of Cobalt 11 handlebars made by a bar harness in just 500 miles of dry weather. I'm considering wrapping them with Fiberfix. Will make them manly at the same time.

If Scott don't honour the warranty, you might be able to get it fixed by a carbon repair place like this lot - http://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/index.html

Greetz

S.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've seen cables wear through an aluminium frame......

.... I've also seen a Scott carbon frame with a hole in it where a water bottle was rubbing it.

Without a photo of the damage, it's hard to tell but I think it should be easy to spot the difference between the sort of wear you'd expect by abrasion and a crack caused by stress or materials failure.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Colin says, a crack will look very different to 'wear' ... although a crack could develop because of initial wear.

You shouldn't be able to exert enough pressure on a cable tie to crack a carbon stay ... unless (see above) it was already badly worn through abrasion.
May the bridges you burn light your way
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Carbon doesn't like "point loading" and I know of a few carbon frames that have failed in a similar way to what you are describing (something that can sway like your mud hunger) cable tied (how thin are you cable ties?) and failures occurring.

Carbon is only as good as the glue holding it together, micro-crack the glue, stress develops at the point load location and one or two big hits later, the micro-cracks become ummm-cracks.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Yep, I’m reaching the conclusion that it isn’t a warranty job... I do believe in fair play

So Mudhuggers are good, BUT keep an eye on the helitape and make sure those zip ties are tight (and not directly touching the frame)

(sent an email to the guy in Derbyshire who repairs carbon frames)
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

NorwayCalling wrote:Carbon doesn't like "point loading"...
To echo this, here's a pic of what happened to my seatpost when I had a Crudguard clamped to it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVO1ufMFNID ... flfmghds50
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Strange. I've used Crudguards on carbon posts for years with no issues.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

My mistake, wasn't a Crudguard, it was a Zefal Swan.

Anyway, plastic clamped round carbon, ended badly. A bit odd, when you consider that carbon seatposts are pretty much always clamped into a tube of some sort. Odd that it cracked at the mudguard rather than the seatclamp...
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

It’s not over yet...
After speaking to my LBS where the bike is, they can’t see why a zip tie would do that, no obvious signs..
Maybe... maybe... :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

No help with your frame problem but I use Velcro tape on my my hugger and fat huggers just so I can get them on and off quickly when they go on the back of the car. You might need to widen the whole a little bit. I did, but then there is nothing to damage the frame.

Good luck in getting it warrantied though.