ScotRoutes

Tomshoo Titanium??

Post by ScotRoutes »

A 450ml Ti mug with lid for £14.42.

Am I missing something?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Tomshoo Titanium??

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No, except it'll probably come direct from China ... but if you're in no rush.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

OK. I've pressed the button. Says delivery 11th-13th June :shock:

Of course, I may be in touch about another windshield.

Taking of which, should the new stove (do you have a name yet?) "bloom" like the other types? My test burn was a very quiet affair. And does meths "go off" after a while?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

should the new stove (do you have a name yet?) "bloom" like the other types?
No, not as such. Once the outer is alight you're pretty much good to go - no jets an' flames or stuff.
And does meths "go off" after a while?
It can kind of and are you using actual meths Colin or some substitute? ... it can make a difference.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Barrettine's finest - based only on the reviews of course!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GREAVES-CO-Bar ... 002ATI4VG/
RIP

Post by RIP »

"do you have a name yet?" - "BBB Hyperstove(TM)" :smile:.

Oh, and since you (didn't :wink:) ask, bioethanol works superbly with it thank you so much :lol:.

Mr Bones (*), I'm sure I noted a different windshield on some other thread somewhere than the One Originally Supplied By The Manufacturer for my Hyperstove - do I need yet another one please for my 400ml mug? (obviously one can't have too many windshields, but I'm sure mine is much more cone-like and a later photo I saw seemed to have more vertical sides which I quite like).

And in other Titanium News, eight "TiTo" titanium tarp V-pegs arrived today. 9g each, 15cm long. Now got six carbon pegs, 12 curly 15g ally ones, 10 curly 6g Ti ones, 10 Y-peg 13g ally ones (ta MaM), and now 8 V-peg 9g Ti ones. How many pegs can one possibly need? When the hurricane comes I'll be ready.

(*) Little known factoid: Vivian Stanshall's bulldog was called Mr Bones. As indeed was some spaceship doctor. I might be mistaken on the second one there.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mr Bones (*), I'm sure I noted a different windshield on some other thread somewhere than the One Originally Supplied By The Manufacturer for my Hyperstove - do I need yet another one please for my 400ml mug? (obviously one can't have too many windshields, but I'm sure mine is much more cone-like and a later photo I saw seemed to have more vertical sides which I quite like).
Yes, no, maybe :wink: The one I sent to Colin was for using the larger 650ml / 750ml pots with said stove and while still tapered, is less so than the one you have. I can send you something less tapered if you like Reg.
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Colin,
I’ve pushed the button on a 420ml for £11.99, was on best offer but didn’t want to seem rude asking for it cheaper.
Will review when it arrives, like yours they were listing a decent turnaround and have messaged me to say it has been dispatched. All good so far, time will tell when it goes on a stove!!!!
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

i got a tomshoo titanium stove a few days ago with the cross type stand and a 750ml mug/pot

arrived in about a week and less than £30 for the lot

it all looks good to me

ran a test burn with la hacienda bio ethanol from b+q, will actually heat something up next time.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

i got a tomshoo titanium stove a few days ago with the cross type stand and a 750ml mug/pot

it all looks good to me

ran a test burn with la hacienda bio ethanol from b+q, will actually heat something up next time.
Very much like the Evernew - they're a thirsty stove, however do away with the trivet and pop your pot directly on the stove, it'll cover the top set of jets which increases fuel efficiency but surprisingly doesn't effect performance / speed too much.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

I ordered a 450ml pot and spoon for £16. Arrived after about 10 days and is spot on. Waiting for the titanium stove now too, only ordered that last week.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Am going to order one of Stu's stoves but dithering over which! Does the hyperstove boil around 500ml in one of the myti 650s in a single burn or does it need a refill? Reg's write up says the water got hot but is it hot enough for a nice tea? This is of utmost importance! If not, I could get one of these 450ml hobbies and just have to make a second cup I suppose.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Yes, no, maybe" - excellent, I'm glad we've clarified that :grin:. Yes please, it would fit in the 400ml mug with less wasted space (= more Ovaltine). Will drop u some dosh as per cost+postage etc when it arrives.

"Reg's write up says the water got hot" - ooer, I'm flapping now! I wouldn't want to be responsible for a tepid-brew situation, especially if you were in a crisis situation and it was maybe, gulp, your last act of pleasure as it were. I remember Stu pointed out that of course the crucial final (boiling) temperature depends on the starting temperature. My "mains water" test didn't boil completely, but a reduced quantity or a pre-heated amount did. This sounds like a good excuse for further experimentation........ off I go to the lab......("to see what's on the slab"... etc etc etc).....

PS> 500ml sounds quite a lot... got interested again now, although She's told me to stop fannying around having fun when I'm supposed to be doing the washing up..... sigh, Mrs Perrin's got her priorities completely wrong as usual....
Last edited by RIP on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote:....... off I go to the lab......("to see what's on the slab"... etc etc etc).....
Reg, I remember you bought some Ti sheet for a windshield awhile back, where did you get it from?
RIP

Post by RIP »

This was the jobby: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302672573075 (hope that links Ok).....

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
should the new stove (do you have a name yet?) "bloom" like the other types?
No, not as such. Once the outer is alight you're pretty much good to go - no jets an' flames or stuff.
Yeah - I realised that trying to light the outer is a fools errand. :oops:
And does meths "go off" after a while?
It can kind of and are you using actual meths Colin or some substitute? ... it can make a difference.
And it's the general difficulty of setting inflammable substance on fire that's causing me to wonder if it's past its best.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I got one of those cups from amazon for £16 arrived after a couple of days...
Never mind naming the new stove, just get them in the shop :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

<removes crisp white lab coat and pats out last flames from hair>

And the result is...... for the specified 500ml of water..... <opens brown envelope and pauses for appropriate dramatic effect>...... EITHER WORKS!

I know Matt, Bob, Phil et al carried out loads of tests too, so worth checking them ( http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... hyperstove).

The "controlled conditions" were: 500ml of tap water at approx 18degC; 750 ml Ti mug; stove mounted on cardboard+foil pad; vertical Ti windshield; still air; Rezillos on the player.
As Stuart mentioned, 750ml pot is a lot of pot to heat up, then again 18degC is probably more than "stream temperature" so maybe those balance out. Surrounding temperature was obviously June and not Winter-Bivi.

22g stove: 30ml of fuel. Bloomed in 1m56s (bit long that, must be broken), rolling boil at 9m33s, ran out at 10m45s.

Hyperstove: 20ml of fuel. Bloomed in 20s, left until 45s, rolling boil at 11m38s; ran out at 12m20s (close shave).

So the recommended 15ml fuel for Hyperstove probably wouldn't have done 500ml, especially in "real" conditions. 30ml overflows the stove - 20ml was top whack. I reckon the 22g is the reliable choice, and the Hyper if you like a small frisson of uncertainty about your boil. The Hyper is a very relaxed experience though.

Who cares which anyway eh? You need both - just get 'em bought :lol: .

And I managed to get the washing up done while all this was going on, so I'm back in Her good books as well which is a (huge) relief.

mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Good work Reg - much obliged! I will be able to (not) sleep (un) comfortably in my bivy now I know that there is the (un) certainty of a nice tea in the morning. As for "just get 'em brought", well, ahem.... *

*not moaning. I know Stu's thoughts on the virtues of patience. I'm going to be a Saint soon! :mrgreen:
techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote:This was the jobby: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302672573075 (hope that links Ok).....
Ta, need something different since I melted my aluminum one on TINAT :???:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just remembered, I bought some a while ago as well: https://www.tomtop.com/p-y0133-2.html?c ... sAQAvD_BwE

That was much thinner and lighter.....

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Am going to order one of Stu's stoves but dithering over which!
I'd probably go for a 22g.

Ti for windshields ... just need to remember that thick Ti is difficult to punch neat holes in and thin Ti is difficult to punch neat holes in and as we all know, windshields should act like the induction / exhaust system of a car ... unrestricted air in and air out. Simply blocking the stove off from the outside world with a solid wall doesn't work well :wink:
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Ti for windshields ... just need to remember that thick Ti is difficult to punch neat holes in and thin Ti is difficult to punch neat holes in and as we all know, windshields should act like the induction / exhaust system of a car ... unrestricted air in and air out. Simply blocking the stove off from the outside world with a solid wall doesn't work well :wink:
Drilling while clamped between 2 bits of wood/hardboard would possibly be neater. Will try that if my punches aren't neat enough.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes the hole-punching was entertaining :smile:. It's great fun tinkering and fiddling though! This is my current "windshield portfolio":

On the right is Stu's ally conical one as supplied with the Hyperstove and shown with 400 mug - 18 grammes. Holes top and bottom for flow. Fits any mug/stove combo.
My crap effort on the left to fit 750 mug - 17 grammes. It's the first ("thick") Ti sheet linked above. Vertical so it fits in the pot but obviously the top holes are a bit irrelevant since there's the pot/shield gap. Seems to work OK though.

On left is smaller "thick" Ti shield with Hyperstove and 400 mug - so only 11 grammes. On the right, "paper thin" Ti sheet for either stove and either mug - only 5 grammes :smile:. No top holes, but a gap and it seems to work fine.

dnrc

Post by dnrc »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:

it all looks good to me

Very much like the Evernew - they're a thirsty stove, however do away with the trivet and pop your pot directly on the stove, it'll cover the top set of jets which increases fuel efficiency but surprisingly doesn't effect performance / speed too much.
i'll give that a go, thanks