whats the lightest way to make fresh coffee

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

whats the lightest way to make fresh coffee

Post by windjammer »

so thinking about go lighter for veneto trail just wondering how you all make proper coffee,i used to use a meths stove and take nescafe 2 in 1 sachets but these are no good for keto diet,does anyone use the ortlieb funnel and paper filters
giryan

Re: whats the lightest way to make fresh coffee

Post by giryan »

Non-instant I think coffee bags would be hard to beat weight wise.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Coffee bags? Not sure what a Keto diet is or how coffee relates to it
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I have a GSI drip filter for van-camping and de-lux bike trips. Google tells me 11g

works well
techno

Post by techno »

Not used the ortlieb so can't comment on it.
Have used These which are lighter still: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=coghl ... e&ie=UTF-8
20 filters = 4g
Plastic peg = 2g
(according to my kitchen scales)

They're ok, but ideally you need really fine ground coffee.

Coffee bags are more convenient and cleaner.

There's also gsi ultralight Java drip which is reusable. (Ian beat me to it)

Which is lightest will depend on the length of your trip and how much coffee you drink.

*edit to add weights
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Italy's probably the place you're least likely to need to make any of your own coffee Matt. You'll find a place selling it every hour or so.

Source: currently sat in an Italian coffee shop
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I'm keto, but I really wouldn't worry about 2:1 nescafe sachets or even 3:1 sachets if out bikepacking for several hours a day.

The amount of carbs you're burning compared to what's in the skimmed milk (or sugar with 3:1) in the sachets is going to make them insignificant. Even when you're fat burning you're still burning some carbs and especially with hills and a load.

Maybe different if you're keto for medical rather than nutritional reasons, but even then you're burning miles more carbs than you're average person. Low carb athletes doing serious mileage can be at 100-150g carbs and still be in ketosis as per sami inkinen and zac bitters experiences. Sami has an article about an 8stage MTB race he did and his nutrition.

http://www.samiinkinen.com/post/1555625 ... ance-using
Gari

Post by Gari »

MSR filter, not sure what the t weighs, can put it on some scale if your desperate to know :grin:
20-30gr would be my guess.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a GSI ultralight java drip, works great

BUT, you need two pots and I usually only carry a single mug so it doesn't get carried much
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cowboy coffee. No kit needed. Lightest, least faff and if you get the right grounds and technique it makes a really good coffee. I have an ortlieb filter, it's ok but the result is a bit weak and it can get cold as it filters through.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

I've used the Ortlieb coffee filter.

It was a sub-optimal experience, mainly as it only has a tiny little hole at tone end of the lower section, and it's not big enough for water to flow through more than a tiny bit.
In practice what happens is you get a mind numbingly slow drip of coffee that stops every minute or so while you stir gently (prod around) at the clogged up and blocked corner, resulting an a torn filter and lots of coffee grinds in the now very pale brown water in your cup. It might smell faintly of coffee but it wont taste like it.
Even on the rare occasion your filter doesn't break your coffee will still taste of hot fresh PF45 pannier and coffee filter fabric (plastic).
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ that's a fair review of the ortlieb filter, I'd say :grin:

This advice works ime, I just brew it in the same cup I boil the water in.
https://driftaway.coffee/how-do-you-make-cowboy-coffee/
2-3 stirs and a dash of cold, don't drink the last few ml. It was how they made coffee in Israel when we rode the HLC, been my std bivi coffee method since.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Cowboy, as above.
Lots of nonsense on the web on how to make it.
The grind size is important. Too fine, and it is like drinking mud. Too course, and it takes longer to get the flavour out and the grinds will float.
javatime

Post by javatime »

Greek/Turkish/ and all the middle Eastern coffees use really finely ground coffee and the whole mix is brought up to the boil. A little sugar helps to create the essential froth. You only need a small cup to get the hit, forget about milk and stop before you get to the sludge. ...
Mart

Post by Mart »

Coffee bags for me - used to filter but was too much of a faff.
2924 miles per Gallon
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’m with the cowboys :cool:
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

jameso wrote:^ that's a fair review of the ortlieb filter, I'd say :grin:

This advice works ime, I just brew it in the same cup I boil the water in.
https://driftaway.coffee/how-do-you-make-cowboy-coffee/
2-3 stirs and a dash of cold, don't drink the last few ml. It was how they made coffee in Israel when we rode the HLC, been my std bivi coffee method since.
wow just what i was looking for james,thanks for all the replies

got some coffee from vietnam to try
jameso

Post by jameso »

Welcome to club cowboy then Matt :-bd I'm doing some scientific testing right now - aeropress vs cowboy, same coffee, brewed at the same time, drunk together as a taste test (get wired). I think the cowboy coffee tastes a bit richer, 8/10 vs the aeropress 7/10 maybe, there's not a lot in it. That's good, since the aeropress makes good coffee.

Before that sounds like an odd thing to do, I'm just making sure the grounds I have work OK before an upcoming trip :grin:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

jameso wrote:Welcome to club cowboy then Matt :-bd I'm doing some scientific testing right now - aeropress vs cowboy, same coffee, brewed at the same time, drunk together as a taste test (get wired). I think the cowboy coffee tastes a bit richer, 8/10 vs the aeropress 7/10 maybe, there's not a lot in it. That's good, since the aeropress makes good coffee.

Before that sounds like an odd thing to do, I'm just making sure the grounds I have work OK before an upcoming trip :grin:
Good work :mrgreen:

How much coffee you using for a mug of water? Last time I made cowboy coffee I nearly blew my head off it ended up so strong. As a reference for the aeropress (which gets used in the camper) I use about a scoop and a 1/3rd (of 5 strength coffee) and let it brew for a good few minutes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

restlessnative wrote:Good work :mrgreen:

How much coffee you using for a mug of water? Last time I made cowboy coffee I nearly blew my head off it ended up so strong. As a reference for the aeropress (which gets used in the camper) I use about a scoop and a 1/3rd (of 5 strength coffee) and let it brew for a good few minutes.
I use 1 generously heaped scoop for the aeropress and tend not to let it sit for more than 15-20 secs after a quick stir. For the cowboy coffee, a level scoop in a smaller cup (2/3 the volume of a normal mug? About 275-300ml). The level scoop is about the same as a reasonably heaped spork-full.

Oh, and the cowboy coffee had a nice foam on it, aeropress doesn't give you that.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Thanks I will have an experiment at lunchtime when herself has gone to work and won't think I have lost the plot