Angle Adjusting Headsets

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: Angle Adjusting Headsets

Post by Alpinum »

Sorry Sean, I don't know where I went wrong, but must have misunderstood you.

Don't all sealed bearing headsets not sit tight and need to be compressed slightly for the bearing to sit in the cup. As far as I can remember the bearings have always (or at least for a long time) had a conical area on which they would make contact to an equal area on the cup. Top half on the outside ring of the bearing, bottom cup on the inside ring..?

I've never used loctite to get the bearing sit tight in the cup. That's what the little amount of preload is for (starnut or similar thing in the steerer tube).
I still have the feeling I'm way off here...

But true, some 2100 miles, likely quite a bit more if you don't record all your riding, isn't too bad in my books either. Usually headsets last me about that distance too I'd guess, but fail quite differently... shear into fragments at the contact area or just split apart.

This was a sealed bearing (regular SKF) after about 4000 km or so...

If you still have the bearings you might find a number edged on the bearing's wall. This could help you find a replacement from standards as SKF.

I'm running a Slackeriser from Superstar on my Kona which has been running smooth sofar, but only had it installed this summer. A bit early to say how it lasts. Shame Superstar (from which I once thought I'm not going to buy anything anymore due to regular problems with their hubs), don't make a 1, 1.5 ° angleset.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The bearing does have the chamfer which should centralise it in the cup once pre-loaded. The issue is that the chamfered bit on the cup which the bearing should seat on is worn down so the top face of the bearing is now resting against the cup and I can move the bearing from side to side. The loctite has held it in place so far as a temporary fix until I replace it.

Yours is propper broken, loctite won't fix that :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ah, finally I get it too.

Yeah, often of the first place to fail. Never tried to squeeze more life out of it by using loctite though. Hope it helps and will keep it in mind for self, should a replacement take a bit longer.
sean_iow wrote:Yours is propper broken, loctite won't fix that
:lol:
Duct tape neither :lol: