I can't find the f@#&ing hole!!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

I can't find the f@#&ing hole!!!

Post by Bearlegged »

In my sleeping mat that is, stop sniggering at the back...

Alpkit Numo mat, it deflates just past the point of not supporting my weight over about 3 hours or so.
I did find one tiny hole (barely any bubbling under water), and seem to have successfully patched it, but the mat still deflates.
I've checked the whole thing several times over searching for bubbles in the bath tub, but no joy.

Has anyone got any tips on finding leaks?
Do mats just degrade over time and lose their air-tightness?
Any way to seal the mat without finding the leak?

Gah!!!
Asposium

Re: I can't find the f@#&ing hole!!!

Post by Asposium »

water in bath
mat in bath
look for bubbles
??????
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I had a synmat one that became porous over time in an area at the end I must have rubbed lots. In the bath there was a very fine layer of bubbles as if stuck to it in one area, not coming of it. Sadly it was outside warranty and so binned as I couldn't find a solution. :cry:

Be interested to see if you find a solution.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Look up aquasure. You can spread it very thinly and it will seal nicely. An alternative would be Black Witch, but that's not going to look so nice. Both are flexible, the former a urethane, the latter a latex. Both not entirely lovely solutions, but a fix before deciding on the bin.

So long as you can find the hole. :D
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I also have a Numo that does that, anyone know what Alpkits' policy.practice on such things is like ? only had it a year or so [and no, no receipt]
Sarah
Al

Post by Al »

Have sent back 2 alpkit mats for doing exactly that. On the second one the customer services admitted the inside fabric degrades and becomes air permeable. They said storing so any moisture could escape was critical to prevent it. I pointed out this had never happened with my thermarest mat and they said it was because they use more environmental friendly materials, not sure I bought that as an excuse though!
Anyway they seemed to know they had issues and swapped them with no quibbles - it’s not like you’ve bought the from somewhere else is it.
techno

Post by techno »

FlatlandAl wrote: They said storing so any moisture could escape was critical to prevent it.
on this, how should I dry out an air mattress that's got some moisture inside?
(A Klymit X frame btw)
psling

Post by psling »

techno mail wrote:
FlatlandAl wrote: They said storing so any moisture could escape was critical to prevent it.
on this, how should I dry out an air mattress that's got some moisture inside?
(A Klymit X frame btw)
Turn it inside out!! :roll:

I store my neoair laid flat with the valve open which seems to allow it to dry out. I do blow it up by mouth so moisture does collect in it but storing it like I do allows it to dry out again. The other alternative I guess is to minimise moisture inside by using a schnozzle bag or similar.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
techno

Post by techno »

psling wrote:Turn it inside out!! :roll:

I store my neoair laid flat with the valve open which seems to allow it to dry out. I do blow it up by mouth so moisture does collect in it but storing it like I do allows it to dry out again. The other alternative I guess is to minimise moisture inside by using a schnozzle bag or similar.
I'll do that and I'll have to invest in an inflator too. Ta.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Ok - more tips on finding a leak.

Spread sheet of plastic out on the lawn, big enough to lay your mat on with some to spare.
Make up a mixture of fairy liquid and cold water, but with looooaaaads of fairy in it. Eco washing up liquids are available but they're crap for bubbles, so dont bother with them.
Only fairy is man enough for this job. Fully inflate your mat, lay it on the plastic sheet, then spread your bubble mixture all over it - you don't actually want it full of bubbles, you just want a good smothering of the mat, and for it to stay wet - hence you don't want a sunny day.

Check for bubbles. Kneel on it, keep checking. Try over filling it. Try renting a bottle of balloon gas or a mates diving cylinder and inflate it with a bit of pressure. Still no bubbles?

Turn it over and check the other side.

Get a beer and do a few odd jobs - come back and check it every 10 minutes or so, and spray it with more bubble mix to keep it moist. 3 hours to go down you say?
You've got 3 hours of odd jobs to do while you look for these sodding bubbles then. :-bd

Obvs - rinse it really well before using any glue on it. :wink: