Pennie Way

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

danielgroves

Pennie Way

Post by danielgroves »

Hey everyone!

Been in the background for a bit this year so far for various reasons, but now I've got my feet on the ground at the new job a few of us have been talking about the Penine way a lot. We're thinking of going superlight (plus camera gear, of course :-bd ), I'm guessing there must be a few around these parts that have done it?

Couple of quick questions for those that have:
[*] We don't to do it as a flat-out blur, but we're all happy to ride all day. 2 days sounds reasonable, or would 3 be better suited?
[*] We're assuming the gravel-bikes will be ok? We're all running 35-40c tyres.
[*] What's your favourite spot to bobby for some epic views?
[*] Looking at the map there's not going to be many options for a Hammock? I'll be in a bicycle either way, but I'm guessing it's best advised for the others to leave them at home?

I'll apologise now for my laziness at this stage, need to do some reading up on the route.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Pennie Way

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pennine Way is a footpath, a very busy, popular footpath ... are you confusing it with something else? Pennine Bridleway perhaps?
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

The pennine bridleway is easily doable ona gravel bike, , at least up to the Mary Townlee loop, and would make a good 2 ride ride. Loads of bivvy spots, can't recall any in particular, but lots of places away from houses, and with flat ground etc.

Haven't do e the bit north of the Mary Townlee though.....
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Pennine Way is a footpath, a very busy, popular footpath ... are you confusing it with something else? Pennine Bridleway perhaps?
Should probably have written this when I'm less tired, but yes, I meant th Penine Bridleway!
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Pennine Way is a footpath, a very busy, popular footpath ... are you confusing it with something else? Pennine Bridleway perhaps?
its not all footpaths stu i rode some of it at the weekend lol
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

If you're riding in a group I'd give it 3 days. It's a fair old ride and chunks of it aren't particularly fast-going.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I have camped out a couple of times along the route (MTL and South part, not done Northern section). For the most part you are away from populations and laces to hideaway. I did stop near a reservoir on the mtl and loads of walkers and cyclists came back despite being dark at 8pm and ~6am. Nobody bothered though, I just said good morning.