Thought I'd gone mad for a minute - Wales 360

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Thought I'd gone mad for a minute - Wales 360

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just spotted a new event - Wales 360. A circular route round mid / north Wales run as a 'stage' event over 6 days ... appears to be very much along the lines of the Trans-Wales with folk camping at a different town each night.

So far, so good. Then I saw the cost, which is what led me to think I'd gone mad or perhaps was suffering with double vision ........ £1180.

If anyone would like a gpx file of a similar route, please paypal £300 as a gift to my email address and I'll throw in a tent that you can keep too. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Re: Thought I'd gone mad for a minute - Wales 360

Post by psling »

Not sure if we'd be welcome anyway, probably too dangerous:

"Luggage racks, front mounted bags (mounted to the handlebars or front forks), bicycle mounted bags over two litres, aerodynamic handlebar attachments and non-malleable water bottles are not permitted"
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

No Stu, you are a shining beacon of sanity.

Looks like the BP equivalent of the Nigerian money scam.

One example:

"How do I get to Wales 360? .... Aberystwyth railway station is on the Shrewsbury main line (!?).... riders should tick the appropriate box... shuttles will be arranged.. "

"Entrants are limited to 500".

Aberystwyth 2-coach train with 2 bike places... 500 bike riders..

As you know I am a massive fan of bike+train travel... but.... 'What Could Possibly Go Wrong'....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Matt

Post by Matt »

Entered :-bd

Cheers for the heads up :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Organisers' name is almost an anagram of wee tosspot :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

The supplied four-person tent per two-person team will feature power points.... that'll be handy in Arthog woods for the portable powershower...

Strictly advise against bringing valuables....
GPS/computers are mandatory.. ermm.....

Oh nooo, I've gone into wee-take mode now, but surely the thing is a parody?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Got to admire the optimism.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You can do it on an e-bike as the organisers will transport your spare battery to half way through the day so you won't run out of juice. Count me in!!
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Got to admire the optimism.
Mmm... £590,000, not bad for a year's work, especially if you've got sponsors on board.
Half of that payable immediately on registration as a non-refundable deposit! Now, let me think... what could possibly go wrong if the weather changes or a land owner pulls out.

Agree though, you've got to admire them and good luck to them with the venture.

I'm out.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

Ridiculous amount of money in current climate I'd say. Can't remember what I paid for the last incarnation of TransWales (Trail Masters) but if it was even a 5th of that I'd be surprised. Be interested to see what that sum actually gets you
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Its being run by Sweetspot who organise the Tour series, tour of Britain and tour of Yorkshire roadie races. That explains the high price (they charge £50k to host a round of the tour series) but I can't see many folk stumping up that much for a 6 day bike ride with camping..... And as for not allowing bike bags - wtf?? hows about - "I've got a dodgy back and can't carry a rucksack" then....
slarge

Post by slarge »

You'd be surprised what people are prepared to pay. I won a fully supported ride from Glasgow to Huddersfield or somewhere when the Tour de France was in Yorkshire, and about 70 people paid over £500 each for 3 nights hotels and a route, with Halfords support. Quite a few doctor types etc who paid for guided biking holidays every year. It was great but I would never have paid for it.... On the first day we had Chris Hoy riding with us, which made it a bit special, but he was sponsored by team Sky then who were sponsoring the event.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I paid £30 to enter an event where I had to create my own route and carry my own kit.
slarge

Post by slarge »

The last major event I did cost a new bike (1200) £200 in fuel, and about £300 in food, kit and stuff. That was a free event for 4 days unsupported riding with only a route supplied. I guess I still have the bike though. There's a further 53 people who entered again this year.

Next year I want a new bike so it will cost a bit more!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Frankly, I'm a little upset that no £300 deposits have appeared in my paypal account ... c'mon people you get to keep the tent an' everyfink.

I'm struggling a little with the concept of aiming an event at those with long distance / multi-day experience then excluding said people on the grounds of luggage choice. I wonder if they'll add a 'no rigid' clause?
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Frankly, I'm a little upset that no £300 deposits have appeared in my paypal account ... c'mon people you get to keep the tent an' everyfink.

... excluding said people on the grounds of luggage choice.
Well, I'd have sent you the £300 if you had offered the choice of a tarp & poles but feel excluded having been offered a tent only.... :cool:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Piranha - could you not have just turned up near the unnamed event and ridden anyway and saved £30;-)

I watched a bit of the Tour Series last night from Aberystwyth and this event got a 3-4 minute slot. The trails were dry, lovely and there was no rain. The entry fee was not mentioned but they wanted to attract people with sense of adventure not just pure mountain bikers.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Blackhound wrote: they wanted to attract people with sense of adventure not just pure mountain bikers.
So, those with a feeling and an awareness of adventure, without actually wanting to actually have any? :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ :smile:

Or maybe just mountain bikers with no sense. Am getting a bit confused with the wordplay now :wink:

I need to make sure I'm free on that date because I'd like a ringside seat for the comedy moment when 500 (sic) bikers try to board the train at Shrewsbury station.

Karl

Post by Karl »

Can we guys organise a similar event but we could be sherpa and carry their kit. We could charge the earth then spent the profits on touring the world (or Wales) for a year or two?
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

RIP wrote:^ :smile:

Or maybe just mountain bikers with no sense. Am getting a bit confused with the wordplay now :wink:

I need to make sure I'm free on that date because I'd like a ringside seat for the comedy moment when 500 (sic) bikers try to board the train at Shrewsbury station.
Why don't you Terry Thomas your moustache, buy the two seats in advance and see how much more than £1180 they are prepared to spaff up to get on the train?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dee's suggested a Bear Bones event at the same time ... no doubt free :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Can I send you a pound mate, and owe you the rest when I have it :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Karls onto something
How much will people pay to ride for 9 hours in the pishing rain through boggy trails, bivvy under a hedge for a few hours with no sleep, repeat x 5?
Could we make 'Don't be soft' a USP??