Cycling in Ireland

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gummikuh

Cycling in Ireland

Post by Gummikuh »

Hi All,

Just bought this book: http://threerockbooks.com/index.php/cycling-ireland/

It has a number of interesting routes and even mentions bikepacking, so seriously considering taking a train to Dublin via Holyhead and then down to Tralee.

Looks like Wales with less cars!

Which comes to my question, does anyone know if its possible to buy OS maps of Ireland to put on my Garmin? I see they used to do but now no-one has them.
Or is there a better mapping source of Ireland?
Thanks

Pete
In Reverse

Re: Cycling in Ireland

Post by In Reverse »

You can get free open-source here: https://www.wanderreitkarte.de/garmin_de.php?lang=en

Ireland's in the "island map" bit.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Do you know if there is anything along the lines of the OS maps?
I know they have an Ordnance Survey in Ireland, a legacy of the occupation.

I can buy detailed OS paper maps, but can't seem to find any on an SD card.

Pete
slarge

Post by slarge »

When in Southern Ireland last year I couldn't see any real off road riding. Even the walking seems well "controlled". I think Stu found the same.

Lots of unmade paths through bogs on the west coast, but not worth a trip.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When in Southern Ireland last year I couldn't see any real off road riding. Even the walking seems well "controlled". I think Stu found the same.
Yes, Ireland appeared very much 'shut' when I went ... unless you were a fly tipper, then it appeared very much open.
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Not 100% sure but my outlaws reckon it's because a private person owns most of the land throughout Ireland ( I often get the blame for this as it was our ancestors which stole their land and it has just gone on from this land being sold on to individuals) unlike over here where nt or a similar body govern the land
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Thanks
You may be right, the book does have a number of routes of all variety's and makes mention of different terrains, there is not a lot for mountain bikes apart from the trail centres and the Coillte approved tracks.
However it does look as though there is a lot for a gravel bike with forgotten lanes and island visits on the West Coast. I suspect it is similar to here and as long as you don't get caught its OK, and if you do it's time to move on.
The Wild Atlantic Way looks interesting, although it is mostly on road, albeit very crap roads!

And don't forget your waterproofs.

I contacted the OS in Ireland and they responded by saying we no longer produce OS maps for GPS devices outside of a commercial use! bet that helps with tourism then!!

The book is worth a read, maybe one for Stu to review?

Pete
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I lived in South Tipperary for 11 years and used to cycle about on Coilte land round about the Knockmealdowns near my house. It was mostly gravel stuff and linking things up with boreens (quiet crap little lanes). I was quite lucky to have that as some areas there is almost nothing. I got in to CX bikes (as they were then) as they were great for this sort of riding.

If you have a gravel/adventure/cx bike I would take that. If it was me I would head straight to Cork then head west along the coast following some of the penninsulas (sheepshead, etc) and up in to South Kerry depending on how much time you have. I had a great time doing the end to end (mizen to malin) with my wife about 10 years ago.

Ultimately I dealt with the Irish land access issues by moving to Scotland ;)