New mobile

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnb

New mobile

Post by johnb »

Need a new mobile mine is dieing and crap anyway.
Requirements
Not apple or Microsoft.
A great battery life.
Great internal memory. Loads of wiggle woggle bytes.
Waterproof/dustproof to a high standard
Able to download ordnance survey maps would also be great.
I have some cash at the moment so willing to spend a decent amount.
Any advice appreciated.
psling

Re: New mobile

Post by psling »

The new Land Rover 'phone:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/land- ... colour=180

Ticks all your boxes?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
johnb

Post by johnb »

psling wrote:The new Land Rover 'phone:

Ticks all your boxes?
Nice one. Excellent in fact.
I forgot drop proof but it says military grade, which is another way of saying soldier proof. So should meet that requirement too. I wonder if they do a cycle mount? Thank you very much, saved me boring myself to death searching.
Gari

Post by Gari »

The whole “adventure “ thing must be close to jumping the shark when even phones are being supplied with adventure packs! :roll:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

DO NOT GET ANYTHING FROM DOOGEE. I bought their T5 is months ago on the same basis as you, long battery, waterproof to IP67 etc. It has an inbuilt app that means every time I use the internet, i spend 5 minutes getting rid of popups, some of which are quite dodgy (pardon the pun) the final straw was a couple of weeks ago, it got wet in a rain shower and hasn't worked since. I contacted them to arrange warranty or repair to be told IP 67 doesn't mean waterproof and to pay for it to be repaired locally as they do not agree to the claim. Their promo video shows them throwing the phone in a pond and switching it on straight away. They are a bunch of shysters and do not honour warranty.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

The best value phone at the moment is the Nokia 8 at just under £300. It holds its own against most high end offerings. If you want something that can take a few knocks buy a decent case.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Get a phone that does the software/features you want and then put it into a waterproof case. You may not be able to get something with everything. If it must be waterproof, there's usually a Sony model that ticks all the boxes.

I use a small iPhone 5S (I know, that's pretty old, and also you don't want Apple, but bear with me) and put it in a £10 case off Amazon that makes it waterproof and droppable, and it's also not black, so easy to see if put down or dropped in the grass, but back to black for Real Life.

Nowadays I also carry a cheap, PAYG Nokia 3310 — a month's battery life means it stays on while the iPhone goes into flight mode to save battery in low-signal areas (and that gives it nearly a week's battery). The family and office can get me almost any time, plus it has a real FM radio module built into it :)
johnb

Post by johnb »

pistonbroke wrote:DO NOT GET ANYTHING FROM DOOGEE. I bought their T5 is months ago on the same basis as you, long battery, waterproof to IP67 etc. It has an inbuilt app that means every time I use the internet, i spend 5 minutes getting rid of popups, some of which are quite dodgy (pardon the pun) the final straw was a couple of weeks ago, it got wet in a rain shower and hasn't worked since. I contacted them to arrange warranty or repair to be told IP 67 doesn't mean waterproof and to pay for it to be repaired locally as they do not agree to the claim. Their promo video shows them throwing the phone in a pond and switching it on straight away. They are a bunch of shysters and do not honour warranty.
Dooge? Google?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Doogee are a Chinese firm usually only available as grey imports.

Anything from Honor, Huawei, Nokia, Samsung, or Google should do what you want. The more you spend the better the camera should be generally. If a phone you like the look of hasn't got a waterproof rating have a look on youtube as someone will have a video dunk testing it and it probably survives, some firms just save money bu not having to pay an independent third party to certify the phone. Try and get one with as much built in storage as you can, 32gb minimum if you can as while you can fit an sd card it can be a faff getting what you want onto the card.

At the budget end an Honor 9 Lite or Huawei P Smart for 150-180 (basically the same phone) along with a Nokia 6 is a good bet.

The Nokia 8 mentioned above is also a good shout.

I've just ordered a Huawei Mate 10 Pro, which DPD are currently making a real hash of getting to me. It's certified waterproof, has a 6" screen, Beefy processor, 6gb Ram, 128gb of storage, a huge battery and a twin lens Leica camera.

The Huawei P20 is similar and they sell for about £400. Have a look on Hotukdeals and people will have posted up where they've seen good buys. I got mine from AO.com. New accounts get £20 off and they do quidco cashback.

The Mate 10 has just gone back up to 500 from 449 but the P20 has just been reduced in return! Look on youtube for reviews by gsm arena or recombu to see what each phone is about. If you see anything you like post it up here for some feedback!
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Just got a Sony Xz2 which is proving to be good so far. Only had it a Couple of weeks. Was quite a bargain from car phone warehouse. Waterproof, android and is lasting 2 days between charging with reasonably heavy use.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Also, don't know for sure but surely that land-rover phone is going to be some Chinese phone with a fancy(?) case and an (android?) skin by a company whose primary business isn't phones. Or maybe I'm just cynical.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

mechanicaldope wrote:Also, don't know for sure but surely that land-rover phone is going to be some Chinese phone with a fancy(?) case and an (android?) skin by a company whose primary business isn't phones. Or maybe I'm just cynical.
Ever seen a car manufacturer make a decent bicycle?! I’d avoid a phone* made by one but that’s just me :lol:

*Iphone 7 plus user here, so cant help you
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Take a look at the One+ range on some only.
But an Otter box protective cover to save it from the knocks
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote:
mechanicaldope wrote:Also, don't know for sure but surely that land-rover phone is going to be some Chinese phone with a fancy(?) case and an (android?) skin by a company whose primary business isn't phones. Or maybe I'm just cynical.
Ever seen a car manufacturer make a decent bicycle?! I’d avoid a phone* made by one but that’s just me :lol:

*Iphone 7 plus user here, so cant help you
I'll be honest I expected the Land rover phone to be awful but this suggests it might be pretty good! https://www.techradar.com/reviews/land-rover-explore
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

I've got one of the Cat (s30, bit of old model now and showing it) phones. So far its been great, dropped and generally abused with little apparent effect.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Big fan of my Cat S41, huge battery life, ( i do a weekend on a charge whilst using the in built gps for navigation via Viewranger)
Rugged, waterproof, upto date Android, good internal memory size
johnb

Post by johnb »

pistonbroke wrote:DO NOT GET ANYTHING FROM DOOGEE. I bought their T5 is months ago on the same basis as you, long battery, waterproof to IP67 etc. It has an inbuilt app that means every time I use the internet, i spend 5 minutes getting rid of popups, some of which are quite dodgy (pardon the pun) the final straw was a couple of weeks ago, it got wet in a rain shower and hasn't worked since. I contacted them to arrange warranty or repair to be told IP 67 doesn't mean waterproof and to pay for it to be repaired locally as they do not agree to the claim. Their promo video shows them throwing the phone in a pond and switching it on straight away. They are a bunch of shysters and do not honour warranty.
If you bought with a credit card you should go through them.
johnb

Post by johnb »

mtbmarkymark wrote:Big fan of my Cat S41, huge battery life, ( i do a weekend on a charge whilst using the in built gps for navigation via Viewranger)
The viewranger looks good will it work on Google maps? Is this adequate though:- 3gb of RAM and 32Gb I use a lot of apps.
johnb

Post by johnb »

psling wrote:The new Land Rover 'phone:

Ticks all your boxes?
And
4GB RAM and 64GB ROM,
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

johnb wrote:
mtbmarkymark wrote:Big fan of my Cat S41, huge battery life, ( i do a weekend on a charge whilst using the in built gps for navigation via Viewranger)
The viewranger looks good will it work on Google maps? Is this adequate though:- 3gb of RAM and 32Gb I use a lot of apps.
The cat phones have memory card slots so you can always move apps to that or just run view ranger etc and save maps to that.
johnb

Post by johnb »

The phone is produced by phone designers but probably manufactured in China...what isn't? and how about Halfords?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

johnb wrote:
The phone is produced by phone designers but probably manufactured in China...what isn't? and how about Halfords?
I don't think that was ever in dispute, it's whether "land rover" have had any other input beyond licencing their name. Plenty of "tough" waterproof phones out there already. The initial review does suggest that with the viewranger app baked in it might actually be more than just a branding exercise.