Alternatives to Shimano XM9

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Alternatives to Shimano XM9

Post by lune ranger »

My ancient MTB boots are now knackered. They are Shimano something's, the previous model to XM9.
I like them. They suit the riding I do, bikepacking, Lakeland HAB, Dartmoor mudplugging.
I use them year round utilising proper gaiters to keep out the goo in winter.
I'm shopping for boots now and wondered what other folk use?
I'm well tempted by 45nrth Japanther but am unsure as to how they would fair in high summer.
Any other suggestions?
SPD compatible only.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
fatbikephil

Re: Alternatives to Shimano XM9

Post by fatbikephil »

I went for the XM9's after my MT91s gave up the ghost. Nowt else out there seemed to be close in terms of comfort and support. They have a few good upgrades over the old ones - higher at the back so no water dribbling in, lighter and more ankle support. Check sizes tho as Shimano are finally making shoes which match the stated size.

The japanthers look like more of a 'cross shoe as per Northwave arctic goretex - cosy but horrible to walk in and no ankle support. Northwave gran canions are OK but my second pair failed very quickly....
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Try Shimano MW500 (as a winter boot)

I got a pair a year ago and they suit me so well I’ve gone and bought another pair as an ‘advanced’ purchase (that’s what I do because they seem to quickly discontinue models)

Fairly light too, good to walk/push in, ankle length, and covers over the laces to keep mud out

Suss out prices otherwise you’ll be paying £125
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If it ain't broke don't fix it....
Just pressed the button on a pair of XM9 at the pretty attractive price of £128.
Nothing else looks as good for walking in and most rides I do involve at least a bit of pushing/carrying on rough ground.
WSC
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I have XM9's and for the majority of what we do they are near perfect. I can't see an alternative that would be any where near as good.

Echo the sizing the XM9's at least are true sizing, I went up a half size to accomodate thicker socks, but would have got away with the normal size.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Sizing advice top, thanks.
My last ones were a little tight with extra socks. Bought same size this time and they're perfect.
WSC