Cycling solo in Morocco

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Firmo

Cycling solo in Morocco

Post by Firmo »

Has anyone here cycled SOLO in Morocco?

I live just 20-mins from the ferry port in Malaga and I've got 5 days free at the end of June.

Many of the folk here say that Morocco is safe BUT strongly advise against cycling solo. One of the main points is that people do roadblocks / stop traffic to try to con foreigners out of money. Also, about vulnerability issues when alone.

Any feedback anyone?
And if so, what routes (preferably a loop) from northern Morocco would you suggest?
Firmo
Teetosugars

Re: Cycling solo in Morocco

Post by Teetosugars »

I've not, sadly, as it looks amazing, but this looks a good write up of riding around there:

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/moroc ... rse-south/
gairym

Post by gairym »

Not ridden there but have recently been researching it for a possible upcoming trip.

From what I've seen there are two groups of people talking about riding solo in Morocco:

1. People who've not done it who offer up scare stories of what could happen.

2. People who have done it and who tell of amazing people and great experiences.

Obviously there are dodgy folk everywhere and so you'd need to take care but if I don't do it this time I'll be heading there as soon as I can.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Not solo, but as a couple and also travelled solo (female).

Whilst biking never had a problem. Kids can be very very enthusiastic, but not unmanageable. People all super friendly and helpful. You have to be careful of course, but that is anywhere.

My friend did a tour on her own and also had a fab time.

Go for it. Promise you won't regret it. Just keep an open mind.
Sarah
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

Morocco rules. You're gonna have a great time, but I can't be any help with your questions, but when I went, Shona from 'Keep Pedalling' in Manchester was unbelievably helpful so you could try giving them a shout.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Having cycled solo in many dodgy countries with bad reputations I'd say go for it but don't be stupid.
Pretty much always people in one country have bad things to say about 'them over there' most of which is totally baseless.
Try to avoid cycling after dark.
Try to avoid too many exciting looking things strapped to your bike and bags with lots of zips which fingers can did into.
This is one time that a trad set of plain Ortleib panniers beats bikepacking bags hands down.
Don't blab about camping rough in bars etc.
And if you do camp rough do it in the open near to villages after stopping to buy something, this encourages locals to look out for you and warn you of any real dangers they know of.
Also an old trick is to carry a dummy wallet. Have enough money say 30-40 Euro/Dollars and a couple of cancelled bank cards in it. Hide your real cash and cards well. If the worst does happen stay calm and hand over the dummy wallet before buggering off at high speed!
I did this in Peru cycling the Trans Am many moons ago and lived to tell the tail.
Lastly remember that most people in most places are good people out to do you no harm. Be aware of the others but don't be paranoid and trust your instincts.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

GCN and Josh Ibbet do Morocco. But are they bikepacking with just the one bivy :lol:

Enjoyed it and now I want to go :-bd
https://youtu.be/FfbFkfRRb7A
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Having been solo in north Africa many times before (all pre "Arab spring") its ... umm... North African ... but that is a good thing!

I doubt you will get any trouble and all the advise on here is spot on. Yes the kids can be a pain, yes the beggars/guides/lowlife in and around the port are annoying but 99.9% of the people are just normal people who are curious about a stranger.

Quote: Having cycled solo in many dodgy countries with bad reputations I'd say go for it but don't be stupid. I completely agree

I will save the stories of driving into a mine field in the south for another time :-)
Scud

Post by Scud »

I used to run 5 week tours round Morocco for a living (by truck not bike), I think it is a safe place and the people are friendly, they can be inquisitive but are welcoming and by bike is a great place to meet people.

The one place i'd avoid is Tangiers, many of the horror stories come from those that have done a day trip from Spain to Tangiers, it is centre for the small drugs trade and money changing and for tourists getting mugged.

We always used to travel from Algeciras across to Ceuta (being a tax free Spanish enclave it was really cheap fuel, so truck and jerry cans got filled), much nicer ferry and less troublesome as a border.

Not sure how far you were wanting to cycle, but a few places that were personal favourites:

Chefchaouen in the Rif Mountains is a pretty town and chilled out as you head south from Ceuta.

Then down through Fes and Meknes.

In the south bordering the desert, you have Errachidia and Ouarzazate and a good entry point to the Sahara at Erg Chebbia (climb the huge dune for an amazing view).

Southern side of High Atlas gives you Dades and Todra gorges which are really pretty, along to Mount Toubkal, which is worth the long hike to 4100m (lots of guiding companies about and some great mountain biking now), worth seeing the high waterfalls as Cascades D'Ouzoud too

Then you have to see Marrakesh just for the craziness, avoid buying anything in the shops round the main square, it will be 3 times the price.

And if you can, get to Essaouira on the coast as it is a great little town, very chilled and a Moroccan surf spot.

Personally i'd avoid Casablanca, amazing mosque, but rest is very much the administrative centre.

Rabat on the coast is nice on way back up too.

I realise that you'll never all of the above on a short tour by bike, but just a few highlights from my perspective that may help.

Also top-tip, if you are planning to buy anything in the shops, the first question you will hear in the shops is "where are you from?" this basically means what can i charge you, i always used to say South African (had a slight accent from living there a while anyway) as it sets the price a lot lower than UK!