Continental Race King

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rocklobstercat

Continental Race King

Post by rocklobstercat »

I've just has a Continental Race King 29er Protection tubeless tyre explode after packing the bags on my bike. When I've checked, the rubber on the tyre has come away from the bead on a small part of the tyre. Anyone ever had this happen to them? Can't seem to find these tyres anywhere on the internet for a replacement. I really liked the feel of them and they were fast rolling. Any advice on similar tyres that I could use> Thanks.
pistonbroke

Re: Continental Race King

Post by pistonbroke »

Stans rims? Rufus748 had a similar issue on the Spanish C2C seems the tyre profile and sharp edged rim don't play nice. Andy got a warranty replacement from Conti UK in Aberystyth, speak to Shelley (m) Childs. (If he's still there)
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Yes Stan's Crest ZTR
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Continental Xking are very similar, not quite as fast rolling
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

pistonbroke wrote:Stans rims? Rufus748 had a similar issue on the Spanish C2C seems the tyre profile and sharp edged rim don't play nice. Andy got a warranty replacement from Conti UK in Aberystyth, speak to Shelley (m) Childs. (If he's still there)
I did and no they didn't. Despite numerous emails to conti uk they refused to offer any help even with the name dropping.
However the company I bought it off supplied a free replacement and even offered to replace the front one at the same time even though they knew it was fine (which I declined).

I'm now tyre hunting again and conti show them as designed for 44lb and upwards. I do wonder if they aren't designed for low pressure (25-30lb) hence the side wall issues?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Was that the huge bag I heard in the car park field at wrt :grin:
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

No mate. Didn't make it up this year :sad:

Although you were there, Spain.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I can't believe anyone runs them at 40+ psi, even with tubes, unless they had a big road section coming up!

I used Conti protection on the TD the rear X King lasted the whole trip, the front one got a sidewall slit in Colorado, it's replacement race king went the rest of the way without issue. I was running them at 22/23 psi on Velocity Blunt SS.

I think you've just had bad luck rather than reveal a consistent flaw in they tyres.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

johnnystorm wrote:I can't believe anyone runs them at 40+ psi, even with tubes, unless they had a big road section coming up!

I used Conti protection on the TD the rear X King lasted the whole trip, the front one got a sidewall slit in Colorado, it's replacement race king went the rest of the way without issue. I was running them at 22/23 psi on Velocity Blunt SS.

I think you've just had bad luck rather than reveal a consistent flaw in they tyres.
Hope so, although the replacement went the same way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Had the same happen to me with X-Kings Protection 29x2.4 on Easton Arc30 rims after about 600 km with pressure between about 1.5 - 2 bar.
It happened a total of 4 times and then I wantes to give them up completely. Now, on hookless carbon rims I gave them another try and they've been good sofar, probably about 700 km.

Also never had any issues like this on DT or Flow EX rims.
Seems these tyres don't like certain rims...

Shame, I quite like it... but those sidewalls are flimsy whilst the tread lasts.

On the Highlandtrail in 2013, when it was a bit shorter, the sidewalls of the lighter Racesport version (had about 200 km on them before the HT) were so worn through, I could see the inner tube...
Apparently for 2018 they made the sidewalls a bit beefier, but I don't know for which versions.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

just bought a pair of conti race kings 29x2.2 protection from lordgun in italy
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

windjammer wrote:just bought a pair of conti race kings 29x2.2 protection from lordgun in italy
Thanks, good spot, and they are the new version with stronger sidewalls.
Ordered a pair as my final attempt with them on my stans rims.
Fingers crossed....