WRT TLS or TTMS?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

WRT TLS or TTMS?

Post by psling »

by RIP » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:16 pm
"35lb not too bad" ..... hmm.. I reckon I'm on 35.3lbs (25.8lb bike) at the moment - "fight, fight, fight!" . Includes two Active maps but not starting with any food (no, I lie, 2 breakfasts) or water - will pick up on way round. But that does obviously include four stowaway pandas weighing 0.7 of an ounce. Not sure which kip bag to bring yet though. 9degC overnight (it sez 'ere) so I might switch to summer bag which'll get me down to 34.5 lbs so Fight Night is still on . (apologies, this isn't the "WRT Weigh-In Fight" thread is it).
Following on from Reg's comments above I thought I'd take the plunge and instigate the "what are ya packing" thread. Balmy weather forecast so the first question is 'pack for the worst case scenario or go light for dry weather'?

I ride slow and rest often so my criteria is pack a bit of comfort and accept I'll be slower up the hills; I normally come in at about the 25kg / 50 - 55lbs mark all up including food and some water. I've looked at swapping out my new brake pads for half-worn ones to save weight but maybe I should forego my little luxuries like fresh milk for my granola breakfasts and coffee/tea or leaving the Steak Ragu with Pappardelle behind.

So, what are you packing? Light and fast, sub-35lbs or slower with comfort? Take Less Sh1t or Take Too Much Sh1t?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Pirahna

Re: WRT TLS or TTMS?

Post by Pirahna »

The weather forecast is good, so pack a waterproof and whatever warm clothes you need for night time.
chris n

Post by chris n »

First run through the packing list I posted elsewhere and it looks like my 'dry' gear weight will be just under 6kg. Bike is bang on 10kg, plus another 1.5-2 for food and water - so 17 or 18 kg all in.

Aiming for 'light and slow' :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

These days what I take doesn't vary much between "fast rides" (avoiding the 'R' word :wink: ) and touring but I've lighter kit for the former. Expected weather probably leads to a bigger difference. I think bike and kit will end up being around 17kg without food & water. I'll do a test weigh tonight.

There's a bit of a mixture in what I'm bringing: the tarp is my lightweight cuben fibre one but I'm using the full fat sleeping mat for example. The biggest addition for touring is cooking kit, fuel and food that requires cooking/rehydrating - on ITTs I'll just eat cold food.

Edit: my system is TWIN - Take What I Need :wink:
Last edited by whitestone on Wed May 02, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

TLS for me, which I always feel is TTMS when I see the pork pie winners setup. My setup is a trial run for XWA later in the month, so I'm not expecting it to be day-trippin' weight. I'll be happy to get below 40lbs which IIRC, is where a loaded Lois has come in last couple of times on the "Scales of Truth" (Ya otter TM that, Taylor).

Greetz

S.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Can we talk in old fashioned money as I'll be measuring everybody's bike by lbs on Saturday.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Taylor wrote:Can we talk in old fashioned money as I'll be measuring everybody's bike by lbs on Saturday.
Yes, grandad
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Taylor wrote:Can we talk in old fashioned money as I'll be measuring everybody's bike by lbs on Saturday.
I'll bring my calculator to help you with the move to the modern world :wink: :-bd
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

You two definitely haven't won then. l-) l-)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You two definitely haven't won then.
You stick to yer guns fella. We'll have none of that kg nonsense 'ere ......... although grams is the preferred unit for weighing smaller stuff obviously. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone wrote:
I'll bring my calculator to help you with the move to the modern world :wink: :-bd
:ugeek:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Taylor wrote:You two definitely haven't won then. l-) l-)
I'm not surprised - you're more than doubling the weight of our bikes :???: :shock:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone wrote:
Taylor wrote:You two definitely haven't won then. l-) l-)
I'm not surprised - you're more than doubling the weight of our bikes :???: :shock:
I was never going to win anyway.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've never weighed my bike and kit ... hang on ..... 22kg. What's that in imperial measuriness.... 48.5 pounds. That's heavy isn't it?
I'm just going outside ...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

TheBrownDog wrote:I've never weighed my bike and kit ... hang on ..... 22kg. What's that in imperial measuriness.... 48.5 pounds. That's heavy isn't it?
I do hope not , I'm coming in around the same ,but I look at like i could save a few hundred grams here and there or I could knuckle down and loose 10kg off my pleasantly plump frame
psling

Post by psling »

TheBrownDog wrote:I've never weighed my bike and kit ... hang on ..... 22kg. What's that in imperial measuriness.... 48.5 pounds. That's heavy isn't it?
That's probably about average on Taylor's scales of truth. Someone will try to get below 30lbs, others will be over 60lbs. Some will carry no water, just a filter; I often set out with 1.5L of water (1.5kg). Some will carry just a quilt and plan their route via bothies; others will carry a full tent. Some will eat at pubs/cafes and only carry trail snacks; others will carry pots, pans, and ready meals!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

I might bring the SLR this weekend, weather dependant... TLS for everything else though!
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

rich.mike wrote:I might bring the SLR this weekend, weather dependant... TLS for everything else though!
i just fitted 19 alloy water bottle bolts to save a few grams :mrgreen:
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Full tent, quilt and cooking ready meals here, bike and kit hovering around 55lb, wondering about bringing a camera but don't want to add even more weight, nor carry it on my back. Maybe there's a way. One more evening of faff to go!
RIP

Post by RIP »

'Camera" - just ask someone else to take 'em for you Oli :smile:. 200g saved straight off.

In the interests of simplicity I won't raise my usual elephant-in-the-room of what one is wearing. That's, unless you're in the NudeWRT subgroup, presumably an integral part of your stuff. Mine can be up to 3kg, almost more than on the bike! Maybe Taylor needs to replace his SoT with something like Sir Bedevere's 'witch weighing' scales from Monty P's Holy Grail so that contestants as well as their bikes can be weighed:

Anyway I'm out of the TLS Fight cos I was in bed yesterday with some very nasty sore throat virusy thingy. Am battling it but will need to bring a hundredweight (there's proper imperial weights for you!) of Tunes, honey, paracetamol etc etc.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Anyway I'm out of the TLS Fight cos I was in bed yesterday with some very nasty sore throat virusy thingy. Am battling it but will need to bring a hundredweight (there's proper imperial weights for you!) of Tunes, honey, paracetamol etc etc.
I have the medicine for your throat reg , wife just got back from Dublin and along with my special bottle of whisky she brought back a few minatures of some very nice rum casket aged single malt , I'll put one in for you and f@#£k the weight penalty :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

chris n

Post by chris n »

RIP wrote: In the interests of simplicity I won't raise my usual elephant-in-the-room of what one is wearing.
My pockets might be full of welsh cakes, spare tubes and firelighters and you'll never know, Reg. :wink:
psling

Post by psling »

chris n wrote:
RIP wrote: In the interests of simplicity I won't raise my usual elephant-in-the-room of what one is wearing.
My pockets might be full of welsh cakes, spare tubes and firelighters and you'll never know, Reg. :wink:
Firelighters? That might be a bit inflammatory... :lol:

(having regard to other threads on here)
RIP

Post by RIP »

X_X :wink: