WRT TLS or TTMS?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: WRT TLS or TTMS?

Post by whitestone »

With everything except trail snacks and 500ml of water but including evening meals the bike and kit come to 17.6kg (for Taylor that's 38.8mina*), I reckon the missing stuff will come to 1kg.

*Ancient Greek unit of weight very similar to the ancient British unit of weight known as the pound :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

whitestone wrote:With everything except trail snacks and 500ml of water but including evening meals the bike and kit come to 17.6kg (for Taylor that's 38.8mina*), I reckon the missing stuff will come to 1kg.

*Ancient Greek unit of weight very similar to the ancient British unit of weight known as the pound :wink:
Just accept the fact, you've lost Bob.
RIP

Post by RIP »

And they're off! Today's contestants in Wacky Races (WR(t)) are..

Made a literally last 5 minute decision to pull out the winter bag in favour of summer one ditching 400g in the process. Offset by the extra fleece which may or not leave BBT. Still loaded down with bushels of paracetamol - I suppose I could eat them all now on the train as a preemptive pain (and possibly life I admit) killing attempt.

Good news, it sez 'ere, is that paracetamol can be taken at the same time as the 'normal daily allowance of alcohol'.....normal eh....

'Reg'
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sat across from James Acaster (fan of his comedy, Mock The Week etc), presumably off to Mach Comedy Festival. I'm sure he'd have a field day riffing off our lunatic escapades. "I was coming here on the train this morning and there was this crackpot across from me.... etc etc". Hmm, might need to modify our route slightly :wink:. Nice bivi spot behind the sports field afterwards too :smile:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
You two definitely haven't won then.
You stick to yer guns fella. We'll have none of that kg nonsense 'ere ......... although grams is the preferred unit for weighing smaller stuff obviously. :-bd
As it's the 10th WRT i think the scale of weight should be of the same order. Metric! :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Reet, about to head down to Dylife, will see whoever's turning up sometime this evening.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Just got packed for tomorrow ,early start , as for the weigh in please tell me there's something for the heaviest , now coming in at mid 50,s, maybe it's the little whisky I have for reg
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

now coming in at mid 50,s,
Pah, mid-50's that'll only place you mid-pack :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
now coming in at mid 50,s,
Pah, mid-50's that'll only place you mid-pack :wink:
Yep but these are the scales I use to weigh in for fat fighters so could possibly add a few more pounds on to that :grin:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

RIP wrote: Made a literally last 5 minute decision to pull out the winter bag in favour of summer one....
Seeing the weather forecast am thinking the same
Ian

Post by Ian »

Scattamah wrote:TLS for me, which I always feel is TTMS when I see the pork pie winners setup. My setup is a trial run for XWA later in the month, so I'm not expecting it to be day-trippin' weight. I'll be happy to get below 40lbs which IIRC, is where a loaded Lois has come in last couple of times on the "Scales of Truth" (Ya otter TM that, Taylor).

Greetz

S.
Says he who won this year’s pork pie :lol: :-bd
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Yeah...I still think the scales were broken :) Only taken me 4 years to get to pork pie stardom.

Greetz

S.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Back from Wales and missing you already :sad:

To cheer myself up, I just stripped my packs down and made a note of everything I took and everything I didn't use, and it's interesting to see how far away from TLS Nirvana I was, I think.

By the end, it seems I was carrying 2.8kg of stuff that I did not use. This consisted of a fair number of obvious items — waterproofs, tools, spares — but also included a little too much food and drink (I didn't originally plan on passing through Bala) and one or two spares-too-many. I also erred a little too much on the side of caution on meths and batteries.

Of that 2.8kg, I would happily put 1.5kg back into my packs, to cover my bases: 'proofs, tools and spares all go in (I removed a few spare standard batteries, but not many), and I'm happy to take a little extra fuel (but just a little) and USB-charging battery capacity, just in case. A spare food pack also does no harm.

So, in the end, I carried 1.3kg of stuff that I didn't need to.

Taylor weighed my bike + CamelBak in at 56.5lb (25.6kg) and if I'd tried harder with my TLS then it could've been 53.6lb (24.3kg) — and I would've still been 22.6lb away from winning the pork pie :roll: :wink:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

The irony is I carried things that I didn't use as well. Could've knocked another pound off the final weight.

@Taylor/Stu - what's the lowest you've weighed over the 10 years?

Greetz

S.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Wilkyboy wrote: 22.6lb away from winning the pork pie :roll: :wink:
My bike (sans gear) weighed less than that. :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well hopefully you'll never have to use the tools or spares but you'd look a bit of a tool without them should anything go wrong :lol: I didn't use the following:

1 pair AA rechargeable batteries.
1 set spare brake pads
1 set of recharging leads
Lightweight waterproof top
Spare pair gloves
Spare inner tube
Tools (pump, multi-tool, etc)
First aid kit
Rear light

I almost got away with not using the Joystick but used it for about five minutes on the Sunday bivy. Got back with maybe half a kg of food that we hadn't eaten.

I could have done with a better lighter or waterproof matches to get the stove going on Sunday night :|

The bit of kit I was most surprised to use was my Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit http://www.patagonia.com/product/expedi ... 12000.html :ugeek:

I bought this over thirty years ago during my climbing days and Sunday morning was the first time I've ever used it - we came across Kevin(?) who'd split a tyre sidewall and he used it to sew it back together.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Scattamah wrote:The irony is I carried things that I didn't use as well. Could've knocked another pound off the final weight.

Greetz

S.
I think alpkit Nick has the honour of lightest bike, I didn't laugh much when I saw him at Nant yr Arian cafe and he admitted to being way to cold overnight after using a tea towel sized quilt to sleep with.
Sadly I can't remember his weight, somewhere around 29 lbs iirc.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Ah yes...you did mention that. Saturday fried me pretty badly it seems. I have a target for next year. :)

Greetz

S.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

I was rather shocked when my new FAT bike with front suspension, fully loaded, weighed 9lbs less than my old steel rigid alfine equipped genesis fortitude 29er loaded up for my previous WRT :shock:

Between my Bear Bones fatfighting efforts, changing bike, buying better kit and TLSing, bike, kit and rider was 9kg lighter than my last WRT. (Sorry for mixing metric and imperial units in this post).

I'm also fitter, so it was very odd to be climbing quicker on the fattie than I had done so previously on the 29er. :-bd
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sure Taylor's right and Nick was sub 30lb and hypothermic one year.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Slightly different tack - who was it who turned up on Saturday morning asking if anyone had a spare chainring? I'm assuming that Stu had one spare as I've a couple of shots of the bodge in the yard underway :lol:
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

That was a lad on a genesis longitude who thought bike maintenance consisted of changing the chain now and again, bumped into him near Dolgellau and he was in the small ring all the way. Think he was alright as we passed his bivvy and he was standing up.