WRT the Star and the weather thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Re: WRT the Star and the weather thread

Post by Taylor »

I'm a maybe for the star on Friday but I can't leave Brizzle until about 7pm so I'll be late-ish.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's the Star for us :-bd Previously for BB events we've headed down after work and stopped at Oswestry, it's 8pm onwards by the time we get there, then carried on to Llanbrynmair in the morning which takes about an hour. Got Friday PM off work so can be a bit more relaxed with the drive down.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Taylor wrote:I'm a maybe for the star on Friday but I can't leave Brizzle until about 7pm so I'll be late-ish.
Didn't get down there till after 10pm last year, still managed to get some dinner!

Warning for those camping, the camping field is most certainly not flat, I also found the ground to be horrific for getting pegs into, mine wouldn't go in. I ended up just using my bivvy without a tarp, thankfully there was no rain in the night. It threatened to drizzle in the morning so I woke up and packed up sharpish.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes - as Ben says, the Star is probably better suited to dossing in a car than it is to actually 'camping'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Apologies for the thread-jack, but having just plotted all the points on the map, and thinking about a route, it appears there is very little resupply or potential for a hot meal, which was a bit of a shocker, as I never have space for cooking kit and proper food! The only options I can see, by quadrant, are:

Lower Left:
Dolgellau - bit of a detour

Upper Left:
Bala

Upper Right:
Nothing significant

Lower Right:
Also nothing significant

I'm sure there must be some small inns or Spars I have missed, but staring to get concerned about the need for a large backpack full of trail mix!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

There's a Spar or Co-op in Bala. It's where Mike and Stu bought their bin bags for the infamous 2015 Xmas bivvy. The Spar in Dol is a bit tricky to find but if you manage to get past the pizza shop, it's got what you need.

Greetz

S.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Upper right - Llanrhaeadr has a shop and several pubs
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I'm aiming for Sunday massive organic burger at the Rhug Farm Shop https://rhug.co.uk/ before the return leg.... Middle North (ish) :grin:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.98172 ... 6656?hl=en
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

99percentchimp wrote:I'm aiming for Sunday massive organic burger at the Rhug Farm Shop https://rhug.co.uk/ before the return leg.... Middle North (ish) :grin:
After you posted that elsewhere, I had a closer look at the map and it's now on my route, bang on the halfway point, thank you :-bd

Assuming my flatlander-legs don't desert me before then ... :roll:
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Wilkyboy wrote:
99percentchimp wrote:I'm aiming for Sunday massive organic burger at the Rhug Farm Shop https://rhug.co.uk/ before the return leg.... Middle North (ish) :grin:
After you posted that elsewhere, I had a closer look at the map and it's now on my route, bang on the halfway point, thank you :-bd

Assuming my flatlander-legs don't desert me before then ... :roll:
See you there - will be our halfway point too.... Great bison burgers and a good covered area so it doesn't matter what state you're in.... but it'll be warm and dry and sunny and all the mud will stay where it belongs :-bd
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
RIP

Post by RIP »

"35lb not too bad" ..... hmm.. I reckon I'm on 35.3lbs (25.8lb bike) at the moment - "fight, fight, fight!" :lol:. Includes two Active maps but not starting with any food (no, I lie, 2 breakfasts) or water - will pick up on way round. But that does obviously include four stowaway pandas weighing 0.7 of an ounce. Not sure which kip bag to bring yet though. 9degC overnight (it sez 'ere) so I might switch to summer bag which'll get me down to 34.5 lbs so Fight Night is still on :wink:. (apologies, this isn't the "WRT Weigh-In Fight" thread is it).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: (apologies, this isn't the "WRT Weigh-In Fight" thread is it).
It is now :YMBRINGITON:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Summer Knard tyres fitted tonight..........
Tarp set up sorted......

Sorry about any change in this weekends weather forecast :oops:
RIP

Post by RIP »

"it is now" - :-S :-SS :YMPEACE: :wink:

(I reckon that insane spare tube'll swing it for you mate - I can only manage 126g at moment)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

So it dawned on me last night that this was this coming weekend. Oh 'eck.

Found the bike languishing behind the ironing board in the dining room, all very Cluedo, worrying that the ironing board has seen more recent use than the bike.

The bike was exactly as I'd left it after the Winter Event, fully fubarred.

A chilly night spent waving my arms about to keep the security light on has the thing passable, with just one spoke less than the full quota and a nice wobbly wheel.

Now it's time to consider packing.... first item on the list is as ever my little pump for blowing up the largest sleeping mat money can buy... tls my arse!

Ummm, thinking about my arse, I'm off to starting prepping up with a liberal dose of Chelsea Dubbing.

No idea about the weather but a lack of drinking lately has me thinking it maybe a good idea to get to The Star Friday lunchtime so that I can practice swilling pints and talking in BB code ready for the real thing in the evening.

As ever I look forward to seeing you 'orrible lot there.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Mbnut wrote:...As ever I look forward to seeing you 'orrible lot there.
Likewise fella. Considered a Fiberfix spoke to straighten that bugger up?

Greetz

S.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"get to The Star Friday lunchtime" - arrgg...nooooo... I was hoping to get there first so I could nip quickly up to my room and hide for as long as possible before venturing downstairs to join the mayhem. Judging by the time you let me wander off to beddybyes last year, I reckon coming down at about, say, half past midnight should mean I don't drink too much :smile:.

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote:"get to The Star Friday lunchtime" - arrgg...nooooo... I was hoping to get there first so I could nip quickly up to my room and hide for as long as possible before venturing downstairs to join the mayhem. Judging by the time you let me wander off to beddybyes last year, I reckon coming down at about, say, half past midnight should mean I don't drink too much :smile:.
But you don't need to be up at silly o'clock for this one ;-)
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Never seen one Scot, will have a look.

My wheel guy is currently sunning himself in Crete, what a fool, when mid Wales beckons!

You'll be alright Reg... we'll start fast and speed up.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Scattamah wrote:
Mbnut wrote:...As ever I look forward to seeing you 'orrible lot there.
Likewise fella.
Gents. :cool:

Sounds like a busy night at The Star. :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I don’t want to say too much but does anyone believe the weather forecast? Unprecedented conditions are forecast, should I take this as gospel or pack for the apocalypse :???: My wife has even said its going to be n**e and she usually gets her own way. :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
psling

Post by psling »

It's certainly looking good. Just remember, night-time temperatures in rural areas are usually 3° or so lower than forecast temperatures. Looking out of the window right now the trees are swaying, it's p1ss1ng it down and the heating is on with the thermostat set at 12° so a journey up to mid-Wales with a promise of no rain is very welcoming :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

psling wrote:...,,the heating is on with the thermostat set at 12° so a journey up to mid-Wales with a promise of no rain is very welcoming :cool:
Heating is on. :shock:

Soft southerner :lol:
psling

Post by psling »

:lol: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

BigdummySteve wrote:Just done a test pack, 29lbs without food and water last WRT on the ECR i scored a whopping 62lb :o
I’m sure I’ll find a bit more but I think I’ll manage to resist temptation.
Weather is looking glorious as I predicted :-bd
Picked up my new car Friday, an estate so I have somewhere to sleep Friday night :-bd
my ecr weighed 73lbs last year,i think my jones is half that weight now,im heading down to the star for 8pm