Hope hubs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Hope hubs

Post by BigdummySteve »

I finished building my rear wheel this afternoon and excitedly proceeded to remove the cassette from the XD driver. Good tools made light work if the lock ring but the driver came off with the cassette, it’s a sunrace cassette if that makes any difference, any suggestions?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
sean_iow

Re: Hope hubs

Post by sean_iow »

I've no experience of XD drivers I'm afraid, but the Hope freehub does just push onto the hub so it will just pull off if that's easier than pulling the cassette from the freehub. I've had the same with a normal shimano cassette in the past, I just tapped it out of the inside but that might not be as easy depending on how much is visible. I did find a picture of an XD driver/cassette on the web

Looking at the cross section I would say the cassette should eject itself from the freehub as the lock-ring is undone? Perhaps someone who has used one could confirm?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

It should but I’m using a sunrace cassette which does not eject itself, gentle persuasion required

mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

If the locking comes off separately it's not an XD cassette is it? I wasn't aware sunrace made them to be honest, I thought they only did normal/Shimano driver cassettes
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

You’re quite right, I eventually managed to remove it. The separate small cogs has notched the freewheel body. All good now, I’m not impressed with the sealing on the hope hubs, a British based company should know better.