Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Re: Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Post by Scud »

I really want to get back there next year, ones of those routes and experiences that has kept me going over the last crazy year, knowing that we have rides like TNR to look forward to.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bit of an update. Got the re-routes done now, info via TNR website if of interest.

Tende switchbacks have re-opened to cyclists, that's great news. Means there's 3 ways into the Roya valley from the col - fast switchbacks descent, the new medium 'mini Via del Sale' and long 'full Via del Sale'. All good and all mostly on dirt.

The damaged Roya valley is passable but has a 1-way traffic system, this from a local rider recently:
Along the road you have many parts that have been temporarily repaired
with gravel sections, not a problem for a TNR rider! The big problem
in this valley is that, between Saint-Dalmas and Fontan you have a 6
km long portion where traffic is one direction at a time.

At night and on week-ends, cars can go every hour between h00 to h15
from Saint-Dalmas to Fontan, and between h30 to 0h45 in the other
direction. On weekdays the road is blocked for works and only one
crossing at 12h00 downwards and 12h30 upwards is allowed from 07h00 to
17h00.

I don’t know how it will be in September but seen the numbers of parts
of the road that have to be repaired, it would be surprising if it was
different. Maybe one may consider taking the train in Tende, it’s free
all this summer (but there are not many unfortunately).
Riders would need to respect the roadworks and the instructions they find there at the time - it's about safety as much as the reputation of riders. It's a downhill section, on gravel at the moment before the road is fully repaired, and traffic that way is reduced so I doubt it'll be a problem to ride through that 6km section.

You might need to plan for the roadwork delay so you aren't late to Nice if you have a flight to catch.
There are shortcut routes included from this area and from the Col Turini and the cafes in La Brigue are nice if you have some time to relax there waiting for the lights. I usually get to that area in the evening if going onto the full Via del Sale sometime mid morning so would only have an hour to wait.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Jumped on train with my bikepacked out bike (roadpacked according to AK). A lady stood opposite with her bike that I hadn't realised was packed out aswell.

Turns out she was going to the start of the Brian Chapman Audax to do with her mates just now and told me about the TCR cancellation. I told her about your Torino Nice and that as ladies are under-represented in bikepacking events in general you've got a policy to allow easy/auto entry of female riders.

James, did I get it right or is she gonna have a surprise when she enquires/applies. Sorry if I've misinformed her. Cat/Kat she's called :???: and most probably will be in touch very soon
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi James...

Jumped on train with my bikepacked out bike (roadpacked according to AK) a little while back A lady stood opposite with her bike that I hadn't realised was packed out aswell. Eventually I did so enquired....

Turns out she was going to the start of the Brian Chapman Audax to do with her mates just now and told me about the TCR cancellation. I told her about your Torino Nice and that as ladies are under-represented in bikepacking events in general you've got a policy to allow easy/auto entry of female riders.

James, did I get it right or is she gonna have a surprise when she enquires/applies. Sorry if I've misinformed her. Cat/Kat she's called :???: and most probably will be in touch very soon
jameso

Post by jameso »

There is an auto-entry thing for women in the TNR yes, but the event itself already at max entry capacity if it happens this year. It'll be a different plan this year to previous rides but that plan is within the entered riders, as I can't publicise a mass start open to all in the current climate. Sorry...
Seems to be more interest in riding the route as a DIY tour this year anyway, as it's more flexible with travel restrictions etc and there's a small, steady stream of tourers on the route throughout the summer.