Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

looks like I was pretty rapid down some of the descents (top ten in a few cases). Not overly surprised. :lol:
Calm down, it's not a race ya know :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

No, but it feels f*ck*ng amazing to really let loose like that. :grin:
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

It was great to met Richard, Phil and Scatta.
I hope to get out on some BB rides next year, as I have caught the bug. Clearly I need to work on the TLS aspect as my 23kg loaded bike was a haul up some of the climbs.
Hope you all got home with bikes in one piece. I’m still sat in Nice having a cold beer after a morning swimming in the Med.
Life is great!!
jameso

Post by jameso »

I’m still sat in Nice having a cold beer after a morning swimming in the Med.
:mrgreen:

(smiling but green envy, at a desk having a subway lunch here!)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Great to meet you Steve, and a huge amount of respect for riding as fast as you were with all the gear you were carrying. You're clearly an extremely strong rider.
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

I've finally made it back to Blighty and about to find out if the bike survived.

I think this journey has been more tiring than the TNR itself.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

My rear through axle went through the side of the box, and the extra two bits of cardboard I'd put there to protect it... but it seems not much damage done.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

I got a MASSIVE e-bike box from the bins at spoc.fr (just past the airport), turned the bars and put the bike in whole. Unpacked it at the carousel and wheeled out through customs!
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

What a trip! Start to finish it was tip top. Route, riders, rowdy descents, roadie climbs, riding my bike. Day after day it took my breath away. You may appear to really enjoy doing it James but it is proper fab so thanks for the experience.

Didn’t want it to ever end, then, due to a monumental clock up on my part, mixing the months numbers up and having less than no overlap in renting accommodation, I will be continuing my on the bike lifestyle while back at work. I have my bike set up with front and rear racks, one for sleep, one for warm/social clothes, one for work clothes rolled up, and one for food and stuff. Roll around for a couple of hours in the evening and find food, then a good spot. Keeping the cycle going for another week
Scud

Post by Scud »

As one of those that definitely "toured" the route, i want to thank James, what a stunning route and scenery.

I hope that there isn't the need for qualifying rides in the future, as if you saw 110kg bloke from Norfolk on the application i wouldn't do well, but i had an amazing time.

We did all the "rough stuff" routes except taking the Death Road, Col de Peas was an experience (and a long push) and that Via de Salle was a brilliant mornings ride, but i think the scenery of Little Peru and the experience of sleeping in the old Napoleonic fort and a fox stealing our stuff will stand out.

I probably took too much stuff, but we spent 6 nights slept in the bivi and nearly all of them above 1800m which was brilliant.

There certainly was a mixture of people and styles, i had some jealousy for those carrying little and staying in hotels and refuges, but would not of missed the waking up from my doss bag to some of those views for anything.

As for hipsters, i spoke to a lot of fellas on cool bikes, with tattoos and front racks, and i spoke to some people with slick touring tyres and panniers, and they were all ace and all really into the event, difference is good.

Hope the lads that had issues with the Ryanair flight got away in the end.

Thanks again James, it was a brilliant ride and i'll be back to do alternate some of the sections next year.

Paul W.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just looking through my photos and found this moment, when Rob turned the ride into a proper BB200 event... :lol:

sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

Richard G wrote:Great to meet you Steve, and a huge amount of respect for riding as fast as you were with all the gear you were carrying. You're clearly an extremely strong rider.
Thanks Richard. I will travel lighter next time, although I did use everything I carried (except the spare tube).
I hope the bike box was OK for you.
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

BigRingGrinder wrote:I've finally made it back to Blighty and about to find out if the bike survived.

I think this journey has been more tiring than the TNR itself.
Driving out with the wife was a great idea, although the week of horse riding cost about the same as a new bike. Glad you got home OK. Would be great to meet up for a ride, as you're just down the road.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Death Road n Little Peru.

Could someone please tell me where this is, in regards to a paper road map?

Thanks.
robert

Post by robert »

Death Road is when you go down from Sampeyre pass through the village of Elva : http://cathie.charbonnier.free.fr/piwig ... ategory/71

Little Peru is when you go up the other side of Val Maira, directly through Canosio and colle del Preit, or the long way through Acceglio and a pedestrian path that leads to Passo Gardetta, and you cross the Gardetta altopiano up to colle Valcavera and the descent of colle Fauneria towards Demonte : http://cathie.charbonnier.free.fr/piwig ... category/8
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Thank you Robert.

It looks like I was nearby last week. I did a ride from Isola to Vinadio and back. Just down the road.

And thanks for the map/pic links.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Whole bunch of pics if anyone is interested: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tWFH9tphR77TEdEL8

Some in there of Scott / Phil / Rob.
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

Good photos there. Nice to see some of the couple of bits of route I missed as well, will have to return next year to ride (or push/carry) those.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thread revival in case anyone's thinking of doing it this year,

The route damage in the Tende-Roya area is being worked on, current route status on 2 sites -
https://carto-tempete-alex.departement0 ... index.html
https://www.inforoutes06.fr/

Looks like it's passable along enough of the valley to make a very similar route possible and will only improve through the summer. Roads there looking a bit like the Kyber Pass right now,

The descent from the Col Tende is out for the time being and the road leading down from the western side of the valley isn't passable so the Via de Sale is a must-ride. Always was imo : ) There will be shortcuts before and after the Via del Sale for anyone who underestimates it and needs to save time.

The big climb up to the Fort de la Forca / Turini was affected and the lower road approach section is out. Good news is the alternative looks stunning, a small balcony road with tunnels -

New route files almost done, new collection onto komoot asap and new route cards and DIY TNR patches planned for late June onwards.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ahh yes, some of that looks stunning James.
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

James,

Are all the spots already allocated for this year's event?

I'm keen to go back and have another crack at some point...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I need to be back out on that route
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
jameso

Post by jameso »

gairym wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:31 am James,

Are all the spots already allocated for this year's event?

I'm keen to go back and have another crack at some point...
Technically yes but I'm not sure how it'll work out due to travel restrictions etc. All a bit fast and loose this year, if it can happen at all. Everyone who entered the draw has been told they can have a place and I'll just need confirmations in July/August. If there's a high number riding we'll just need to split or stagger the start. I wouldn't open it up to more entrants now as there's enough to full 2 2019 sized starts if everyone entered did turn up, but a pass for bearbones regulars is hard to say no to. (ie, if you can, it'd be great to see you out there)
gairym

Post by gairym »

Interesting...if my summer progresses as planned then I'd love to be there. :-bd

Hopefully I'll be in touch...
Chew

Post by Chew »

Hoping to get back next year and do some different alternatives and new bits :-bd