Advise please on grips

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Advise please on grips

Post by Mike »

Right iv odered some of these ergon grips GP1 for the stooge after my BB ride my wrists were in bits ( from leaning on bike for many hrs i reckon when im tired ) never had this before. Can anyone tell me though if i should of bought the GC1 version which iv been told is more for the swept back bars like jones? And they look nicer in brown! So who uses these and should i know send these std ones back for the other version, do they actually make any difference. Thanks would be good to see whos used both before i return these or keep em
benp1

Re: Advise please on grips

Post by benp1 »

On my loops I use the standard GP1s (I think), I have used GP3s too but took them off as they clashed with pogies. They work fine, although I don't do many long rides on this bikes so can't give you a good comment as it's my rigid SS

The bigger difference was the width of the loops - I found the 710s to be much more comfy than the 660s
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I've got gp2 on my straight bars mate , they seem to have sorted out my wrist and numb hand problems , depends how you angle them they force you to put more weight on the seat than on the bars (I know the 2s are no good for loops but can only speak from experience)
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

GP1s here on my Jones loops (cut down to 680mm). Very comfy, good for 1,000 miles across France last year. Not going to change them. GP3s on normal bars on another bike, again comfy but they're not for loops.
I've not tried GC1s, would there be much difference?
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I use ergons on my 710 jones bars. No idea what sort they are though.

They take a bit of tweaking to start with. I have mine rotated forwards (flat part up) then looks right, but they feel right!
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I ws running ESI silicon grips for ages on my Genesis alt bars which are swept a bit like Jones loops. I changed to Ergon GP1 grips out of curiosity and now I don't get aching hands on long rides.

They made a difference to me... That's all I can say.

Si
Last edited by darbeze on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I use the £4.99 (for 4) Carkes foam grips when I toured the divide route last year. They were getting a bit thin by the time I finished and were definitely hard on the hands, but for most of the trip they were perfect. I've got a long trip planned for this year and will be switching to cut down ODI Longneck XL's, a bit more expensive at £10.99.

This is on a full Jones setup with the bars fairly high so most of the weight is on my backside. I was originally planning on using a rigid Stumpy for the trip but was getting so many hand problems on long road rides I bought the Jones. The lower bar position on the Stumpy was putting way to much weight on my hands, even a 50 or 60 mile road ride meant a couple of days not riding to let my hands recover. I can ride it off road all day though.

I think the moral of this (for me) is, it's not the grips but bar position which matters most.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Mike - Ergon GP1's that's what Ive got on my Loops :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Ergon GP1s on my Jones loops too Mike - as comments above they are rotated so the 'flats' are just above horizontal (but you'll play about till they feel right). They helped me with the same issues you have when I get knackered and end up 'chewing the bars' (quickly and often :grin: ).

I have meant to try the Jones specific Ergons having seem then on Burty's (?Jasons) last year but they seem fine so haven't changed them yet.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Yep. GP1's on both sets of Jones. Worked a treat for my hands and wrists.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I tried the GC1's on my loops - they were horrible. On steep down hills your hands kept slipping forwards along the grips and the flared out ends caused much wrist pain. I use either ESI grips or NC17 ergo grips which are softer than the ergons.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Interesting ta. Well iv now sent back the gp1 and ordered the gc1 ( swept back version ) so we will see what happens. I love the esi foam grips tbh and they are great on all my rides so far. I guess fatigue makes u lazy and my wrist just got hammered on the last ride.