World's end

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jay91

World's end

Post by jay91 »

Over Easter in the pooring rain I was sitting in the caravan looking over the os maps.

Has anyone been to world's end by eglwysg mountain
SJ 2354 4777 didn't have chance to go there :| wondering what it's like
Trying to ride bikes.
Mike

Re: World's end

Post by Mike »

Nice pal I used to climb in that area yrs ago right near llandegla to for a blast and some nice trails out back
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

It's mainly foot path upto the crags if you like trad climbing there is some nice exposed limestone routes sorry but can't say anything about biking there, it's a lovely solitude place though never many people about so just make sure you have everything to get you out of the preverbile
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Mike wrote:Nice pal I used to climb in that area yrs ago right near llandegla to for a blast and some nice trails out back
Cheers mike have to check it out next time
Trying to ride bikes.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

middleagedmadness wrote:It's mainly foot path upto the crags if you like trad climbing there is some nice exposed limestone routes sorry but can't say anything about biking there, it's a lovely solitude place though never many people about so just make sure you have everything to get you out of the preverbile
I'm not a climber but would be nice to check it out :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

jay91 wrote:
middleagedmadness wrote:It's mainly foot path upto the crags if you like trad climbing there is some nice exposed limestone routes sorry but can't say anything about biking there, it's a lovely solitude place though never many people about so just make sure you have everything to get you out of the preverbile
I’ve done a bit of climbing on various crags there years ago. My mate Dave bolted a ridiculous project on a big roof there which I’m convinced would be one of the hardest routes in the uk.

Neither he or I could do all the moves. He was super-strong and I had climbed V13 in hueuco that year (back when V13 was hard :o )

So far as I know it’s still unclimbed.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

ianfitz wrote:
jay91 wrote:
I’ve done a bit of climbing on various crags there years ago. My mate Dave bolted a ridiculous project on a big roof there which I’m convinced would be one of the hardest routes in the uk.

Neither he or I could do all the moves. He was super-strong and I had climbed V13 in hueuco that year (back when V13 was hard :o )

So far as I know it’s still unclimbed.
Was never a sport climber don't trust bolts and resin but if I was I definitely wouldn't have gone near it , I only climbed up to grade e1 ,but when I had my fall and nearly lost my leg it was only on a severe 4b ,you should gather I don't climb anymore just belay the youngfella ,that rock can be a fickle mistress
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

It's a lovely bit of trail. Footpath tbf but it's a stony surface that can handle bikes.

Riding it from 'degla makes quite a nice loop: https://www.strava.com/activities/662515525 - that has a climb up the road back to the BW, as an alternative there's a grass climb (footpath again) on the Cymru Way or something which is the second big uphill in this: https://www.strava.com/activities/568508179
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

I've been to Worlds End in Hampshire
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I live near there. Worlds end was a lovely family picnic spot until some rich git bought it and fenced it off. He also diverted the lane that ran past his house some half a mile, (including building a bridge over the stream) to stop people from looking at his house. My kids spent many a happy hour playing in the stream there, (35 years ago) but no more. To add insult to injury, a sign was put up saying that visitors were welcome to enjoy the place, while at the same time the area was fence off with sheep netting and barbed wire. But I'm not bitter x(

I've bivvied in the woods a couple of times. See BAM of Feb last year.

But to get back on topic, there's a decent track that runs over the top, starting at SJ 240 429 and joining a lane at SJ 232 486. Turn right there and join the Offas Dyke path at SJ 235 495 to get to Llandegla forest. Go through the gate and turn left, up the hill to Cyrn-y-Brain, then follow the track down to the Ponderosa cafe for a cuppa. There's more riding to be had if you cross the main road and go past the quarry, but you're probably bored by now.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lu, does anyone mind you riding the tracks opposite the cafe? I've often looked at them but the map doesn't indicate a RoW on many of them although they're obviously well used.
May the bridges you burn light your way
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Lu, does anyone mind you riding the tracks opposite the cafe? I've often looked at them but the map doesn't indicate a RoW on many of them although they're obviously well used.
I take it you mean the black dotted line going over the "Camels Humps", Moels Faen, Gamelin, Y Gaer and Morfydd? I've only been up there a couple of times. No problems, but hardly a representative sample. I know others that have ridden there, also without confrontation.

Very steep in parts going up and rocky going back down. In my case, push up and push down the other side. (On my own, too scared to risk going over the bars :ugeek: )
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

They're the ones Lu. I've walked them a few times and thought they'd be 'fun' on a bike.
May the bridges you burn light your way