Burley child trailer

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnb

Burley child trailer

Post by johnb »

Anyone know if the seats can be removed. Second hand they are helluva lot cheaper than the Burley dog trailer. Its for a Springer Spaniel bitch. Smaller than average. The Burley dog or child trailers are quite light weight (9.5kgs) The one I use at the moment is 15 KGS I use it for firewood compost and for the dog when she is working so I use it with a power assist bike. Think of going on holiday and taking the dog so I want something lighter than the monster thing I already have.
Gummikuh

Re: Burley child trailer

Post by Gummikuh »

Hi, Yes they can,

The problem is the base is fabric and depending on the weight of your dog may be difficult for them to get comfy.
I converted my one to a cargo trailer when the kids outgrew it, it was a bit tricky but turned it upside down and re-drilled the connecting arm, piece of 12mm birch ply with a few weight reducing holes and it works really well.

That said I hardly use it as it is a nightmare in traffic.
johnb

Post by johnb »

Gummikuh wrote:Hi, Yes they can,

That said I hardly use it as it is a nightmare in traffic.
Why?
johnb

Post by johnb »

The dog is only 17kg. She curls up and goes to sleep as soon as she gets in any moving vehicle. I have a large waterproof cushion quite thick do you reckon that might sort it?.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Seat mounts and harness can often be removed, or rolled n taped. Depends on model I guess.

Would love to hear how you get on with it.

I have a kiddie trailer that I am trying to get my border collie puppy to travel in. She loves it as a bed in the house, but howls n cries when we tow her in it. Have to use double leashes onto harness too. Might try a more secure base. If Anything helps it has to be worth it. Current trip to Hebrides is on hold till she is settled.
Sarah
johnb

Post by johnb »

Sarah wrote:Seat mounts and harness can often be removed, or rolled n taped. Depends on model I guess.

Would love to hear how you get on with it.

I have a kiddie trailer that I am trying to get my border collie puppy to travel in. She loves it as a bed in the house, but howls n cries when we tow her in it. Have to use double leashes onto harness too. Might try a more secure base. If Anything helps it has to be worth it. Current trip to Hebrides is on hold till she is settled.
From experience I suggest you put her in trailer and take her somewhere nice (to her not you!) Give her a run out somewhere she hasn't been before. Take her somewhere she likes going to.
It worked for my dog who didn't like the trailer. Eventually took her to pub when she was young that was enough to make her reasonably happy to get in the trailer.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I like it, but have a habit of forgetting it is on the bike, so I often filter and then think oh that wasn't a good idea, also here in Milton Keynes with their fantastic redways every entrance/road crossing has yellow posts to stop vehicles I suppose, and I'm forever hitting them with the trailer. My dog will sit in there happily until he gets bored or sees something more interesting. then he is a pain. I did take him in the trailer around London a couple of years ago for the ride London event, he loved all the attention.
For some strange reason it infuriates car drivers even more, and I get beeped more with the trailer on than without.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

For some strange reason it infuriates car drivers even more, and I get beeped more with the trailer on than without.
Probably because you're wider and longer than just a bike, so it takes a whole extra split second to get past you. And because they suspect there might be a child in the trailer, they know they really can't risk a dangerous pass. But mostly probably because so many people in cars are utter twats.

Conversely, Sam of this Parish takes Wilma the Westie with him pretty much everywhere on the back of his cargo bike. The dog is very visible and he reckons he gets loads more space, patience and respect from drivers than when he's riding solo.
I'm just going outside ...
johnb

Post by johnb »

I think I might put a sign on the back of the trailer "puppies on board". Now who would pass to close to a trailer full of puppies? Or even be annoyed with a cyclist pulling a trailer full of puppies?