bar bags

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

bar bags

Post by Mariner »

How are folks mounting bar bags on a bike with drops and carbon forks?
Does a Lion work or is it a Revelate job?
Plenty of distance shots of gravel type bikes with bar bags but cant see any detail.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ScotRoutes

Re: bar bags

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm not sure what relevance the combination of drops and carbon forks is but I'ved use my Revelate harness on that combination. What specific problem are you expecting?

ImageDSC_0142 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Yup just stick it on and keep it narrower than the bars. VN Amazon is optional.

Last edited by JoseMcTavish on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I am using a salsa anything bar cradle
Really impressed so far
Will add photos later
Do have to be careful the bag isn’t too wide as otherwise can’t shift properly (di2 would get round this problem)
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Other than width of bag as mentioned, is it just space for harness straps through the fork crown with tyre clearance?

If so I found attaching them to a couple of cable ties around the fork crown to attach the straps to on my road bike worked where tyre clearance was tight. Also found that a harness isn't so necessary if doing tamer/road stuff.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I use a Lion on steel road forks and have used a couple of times on a carbon 700x25 type of fork, the straps pull a bit narrower than they're designed for but all works OK. You still get the benefit of it tensioning and clearing the head tube.

I mocked up a fork crown dyno light mount and Lion strap point in one, some bar bent into a a triangular-ish shape needing a bolt point for the crown bolt, it'd give the lion a better place to tension off - but clearly haven't got far with it.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Thanks for the replies.
Just being cautious about strapping a Lion Harness onto carbon forks from the wear on the forks point of view.
Was wondering if helitape on the forks would help reduce wear?
I am happy using Airlok Dual bags as found the Revelate bar bags quite long although they do have a mounting system that works.
I will take a look at the Salsa cradle - never thought of that.
Are the outer straps on an Airlok Dual sufficient for attaching to a bar or does a bag need a lower anchor point to stop it bouncing about?
I haven't got the bike here yet so not able to try various set ups.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think Lee Craigie wore through her Lauf forks because of this. I've put helitape around the crown of my carbon forks for just this purpose. It's lasted a couple of years so far.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As shown, that's a 13L Airlock in my Harness.

I've used the Harness with various carbon forks and a bit of helitape has avoided any damage.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Is there a harness other than the revelate which is pricey that sits a little out from your bars so you can ride the tops if you want
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Mactheknife68 wrote:Is there a harness other than the revelate which is pricey that sits a little out from your bars so you can ride the tops if you want
Salsa anything cradle
Specialized burra burra

Have both
Specialized is rubbish and twists about the bars
Salsa is rock solid
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Michael, I have used one on mine with carbon forks (both MTB and gravel bike). I put clear gorilla tape on the forks, it's much thicker than other tape and also cut down an old road tube and slide this over the straps that go under the forks. Belt and braces but it's worked well so far.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

rufus748 wrote:Michael, I have used one on mine with carbon forks (both MTB and gravel bike). I put clear gorilla tape on the forks, it's much thicker than other tape and also cut down an old road tube and slide this over the straps that go under the forks. Belt and braces but it's worked well so far.

Good idea off to cut up an innertube later!

Whenever I set the lion up you can just it so it creates a gap enough to ride the tops comfortably. Have used mine on my cx (carbon forks) with just a wodge of black insulation tape
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I frequently just use long Velcro straps and an 8l alpkit bag on drops and Jones’s

It’s fine up to a couple of kilos.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

rufus748 wrote:Michael, I have used one on mine with carbon forks (both MTB and gravel bike). I put clear gorilla tape on the forks, it's much thicker than other tape and also cut down an old road tube and slide this over the straps that go under the forks. Belt and braces but it's worked well so far.
Andy
That deserves a MYOG posting. :-bd
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

The Alpamayo front harness is perfect as it has rubber spacers that hold it away from the bars and a strap around the headtube so there's no contact with the fork legs. Unfortunately they are pretty erratic in having them in stock, not sure if the company is still going?

Otherwise, if you're going down the drybag strapped to the bars route, a couple of 25mm headset spacers can be used as a standoffs, just thread the strap through the rings, round the bars and back through the rings before attaching the drybag. You'll still need to find some way of holding the bag down to stop it jumping on rough stuff.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Any opinions on the bikepack.eu gear , I’m not sure if I’m converting correctly but looks good value but no idea on quality
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

salsa anything cradle on a specialized sequoia elite
thinking the space between the bars and cradle might be useful for small soft stem cells, strap to the supports of the cradle
might look quite a cantilever; however, the cradle is very secure and does not rotate about the bars.

ImageUntitled by Asposium, on Flickr