Tarbert/Arrochar parking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Tarbert/Arrochar parking

Post by whitestone »

Does anyone know if there's somewhere in the Tarbert (Loch Lomond one) or Arrochar area where you can leave a car for a few days whilst out riding? Don't mind paying, just don't want to get back to find it's been towed!

Considering doing something based on the Wild about Argyle trail this weekend.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ballibeg

Re: Tarbert/Arrochar parking

Post by ballibeg »

Tarbet (no R) has free parking outside railway station. I've left my car there with no probs.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

The station is a good suggestion but if you're heading west there's parking at the foot of the Rest and be Thankful at the Ardgarten forestry visitor centre. I've often left my car there when out for a few days. I usually drive just over the bridge over the Croe and park there (NN26895 03725).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Jurassic wrote:The station is a good suggestion but if you're heading west there's parking at the foot of the Rest and be Thankful at the Ardgarten forestry visitor centre. I've often left my car there when out for a few days. I usually drive just over the bridge over the Croe and park there (NN26895 03725).
OK we parked up over the bridge as the first car park at the visitor centre and toilets has a sign stating no overnight parking.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

whitestone wrote:
Jurassic wrote:The station is a good suggestion but if you're heading west there's parking at the foot of the Rest and be Thankful at the Ardgarten forestry visitor centre. I've often left my car there when out for a few days. I usually drive just over the bridge over the Croe and park there (NN26895 03725).
OK we parked up over the bridge as the first car park at the visitor centre and toilets has a sign stating no overnight parking.
Yep, that's exactly where I meant, I hope it worked out okay for you. As I said, I've used it a few times without issue.
Just out of interest there's another spot if you follow the little tarmac road back towards Loch Long. Eventually it turns south parallel with the loch before climbing steeply (past the turn off for Coilessan cottages) and terminates at another car park (which is marked on the OS map at NN25870 01146). This one is particularly handy for rides around the Ardgarten Peninsula and for Mark Ferry Cottage (bothy) and again I've used it a few times with no problems.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We saw cars parked up there but since we were finishing with the descent down through the forest tracks from the Rest and be Thankful your original suggestion was perfect.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

I'm loath to revive a dead thread but I have the same question and was wondering how much has changed in the past 3 years since this was posted. Was already looking at the Tarbet spot. Going for a 10 day or so trip and just looking for somewhere to leave the car where it won't be disturbing too many people.
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

No changes that I'm aware of. :-bd
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

ballibeg wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:25 pm No changes that I'm aware of. :-bd
Good to know, cheers. Reading around a bit I saw there's been a lot of moaning about motorhomes and caravans in the Loch Lomond/Trossachs area, but doesn't sound like that'll have too much bearing on leaving a hatchback somewhere hopefully.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

directdrive wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:29 pm
Good to know, cheers. Reading around a bit I saw there's been a lot of moaning about motorhomes and caravans in the Loch Lomond/Trossachs area, but doesn't sound like that'll have too much bearing on leaving a hatchback somewhere hopefully.
It has been ridiculously busy in the area post lockdown (especially at weekends) and the hot spots of Luss, Cobbler car park etc are best avoided (they're pay and display anyway so no good for long-term). I'm sure if you're slightly off the beaten track you'll be fine though, most people are too stupid/lazy to look beyond the obvious places. I'll make some enquiries, I know a few people who live in the village(s).
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:55 pm
directdrive wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:29 pm
It has been ridiculously busy in the area post lockdown (especially at weekends) and the hot spots of Luss, Cobbler car park etc are best avoided (they're pay and display anyway so no good for long-term). I'm sure if you're slightly off the beaten track you'll be fine though, most people are too stupid/lazy to look beyond the obvious places. I'll make some enquiries, I know a few people who live in the village(s).
Appreciate that, cheers. Along with finding parking it'd be nice if we can avoid being too big a part of the problem.
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

directdrive wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:50 pm I'm loath to revive a dead thread but I have the same question and was wondering how much has changed in the past 3 years since this was posted. Was already looking at the Tarbet spot. Going for a 10 day or so trip and just looking for somewhere to leave the car where it won't be disturbing too many people.
If you're leaving your car for that long it might also be worth popping in to Helensburgh Police Office (that's where the local Police work out of) and ask for a note to be added to their briefing folder that your car will be parked up, when you expect to be back and an emergency contact.

I know of one incident last winter in the South Ayrshire/Galloway area where the locals reported an abandoned car. Police enquiry was started and eventually traced a contact of the owner who said that the owner was off bikepacking for a week around the area but no detailed or rough plan was left. The 7 days pass and the guy hadn't turned up. Given the weather and no contact from the bikepacker a Police enquiry was started as he was now well overdue.... first thing, gain access to vehicle via smashing the window, look for any route info, then tow now insecure vehicle away to secure contractors yard. The bikepacker turns up several days later and at the weekend when the contractors yard was closed, bit of a headache getting the car back. Can't mind if he had to pay to get his car released.

Moral of the story is let people know your plans, preferrably someone at your car's registered address or if your single and live alone, leave an In Case of Emergency mobile number of someone that knows your itinerary and you are in contact with. Leave it clearly on the windscreen to stop smashed windows.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Martin B wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:05 pm
directdrive wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:50 pm I'm loath to revive a dead thread but I have the same question and was wondering how much has changed in the past 3 years since this was posted. Was already looking at the Tarbet spot. Going for a 10 day or so trip and just looking for somewhere to leave the car where it won't be disturbing too many people.
If you're leaving your car for that long it might also be worth popping in to Helensburgh Police Office (that's where the local Police work out of) and ask for a note to be added to their briefing folder that your car will be parked up, when you expect to be back and an emergency contact.

I know of one incident last winter in the South Ayrshire/Galloway area where the locals reported an abandoned car. Police enquiry was started and eventually traced a contact of the owner who said that the owner was off bikepacking for a week around the area but no detailed or rough plan was left. The 7 days pass and the guy hadn't turned up. Given the weather and no contact from the bikepacker a Police enquiry was started as he was now well overdue.... first thing, gain access to vehicle via smashing the window, look for any route info, then tow now insecure vehicle away to secure contractors yard. The bikepacker turns up several days later and at the weekend when the contractors yard was closed, bit of a headache getting the car back. Can't mind if he had to pay to get his car released.

Moral of the story is let people know your plans, preferrably someone at your car's registered address or if your single and live alone, leave an In Case of Emergency mobile number of someone that knows your itinerary and you are in contact with. Leave it clearly on the windscreen to stop smashed windows.
Excellent advice, will do just that. Cheers.