NC500

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blair512

NC500

Post by Blair512 »

Not cycling related but you chaps are a well travelled bunch!

Off to do the NC500 with Mrs 512 next week, planning on a mix of campsites, wild camping and maybe a bothy or 2. Any must see things we should look out for? And anything to be avoided? Where's the best beer and coffee to be had? A week is a short space of time to cram in such a large area!
jamiep

Re: NC500

Post by jamiep »

follow the coast on the West rather than sticking to the official route - deviate at Drumrunie to continue to Lochinver by Stac Pollaidh.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There used to be a brilliant campsite at Achnahaird out past Stac Pollaidh but I believe it's shut now. There's another site further on at Altandhu.

+1 to the "mad road" between Stac Pollaidh and Lochinver - it's not part of the official NC500 because it's too twisty for bigger vehicles.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Achmelvich beach is a good campsite as is Scourie (which has a good pub nearby). Durness campsite good but breezy. Applecross campsite good location but toilet facillities a bit sparse. Applecross inn does good food and beer. Big sands campsite at Gairloch is great and there are a few good pubs too - the best is probably the Old in opposite the main harbour area. In the north check out the MBA site as there are some bothies close to the road.

Regarding the route i'd not do the NC500 as such, do a variation on a theme of in order to avoid excessive campervan frustration and mad idiots in flash motors trying to do the route as fast as they can. As noted above the Inverkirkaig road is a must and if you can divert to Achiltibuie as its a great place. There is a Bunkhouse and a reasonable pub. Further North consider going down the Ben hope road and then cut east on the B873/871 to Kinbrace and then down the A897 to Kildonan followed by a single track road which cuts a corner off and misses a chunk of the A9 past Helmsdale. These are great cycling roads and see hee haw traffic. Whilst this misses out the north coast, the main coast road consists of a lot of long slow climbs. Great on a motorbike but a grind on a bike. Endure a bit of the A9 to Brora and then cut inland on the single track road to Rogart. Rogart has a great bunkhouse in old railway sleeper carriages. Head back down to the coast and then pick up more single track roads (some of which are unsurfaced) to Bonar Bridge.

If you have off road potential its worth picking up the Highland Trail route by heading west from Ardgay to Alladale lodge and then south on good estate tracks through Strathvaich, Garve and Contin. contin could be a good start point if you do this.

Simples!
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I should note we're driving, I suggested cycling but I was quickly shut down! Using it as a bit of a recce at the same time for a possible future attempt on bike

Thanks for the tips all, we had planned on camping near Achiltibue Phil so that confirms it'll be a worthwhile detour. Cycled the Ben Hope road before and it was ace, camped at the northern end, up early and rolled steadily south to Bonar bridge where we ended up rather inebriated and camped on the village green for the night :lol:

I'll check out the "mad road", sounds right up my street!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Kyle of Tongue, Strathy, Melvich on the north coast are all lovely. The hotel at Melvich has excellent food. The Weavers Cafe just outside Tongue is one of my favourite stops and there are fantastic views from Coldbackie.

It's easy to dismiss the Caithness section of the NC500 but it has fantastic cliffs, Dunnet (gin distillery too) Duncansby Stacks, standing stones, brochs, castles etc. The museum at Brora will throw up some surprises to most. There's the WW2 radar bunkers at Crackaig. There's a camp site too if you like the old-fashioned, basic type. Right on the shore and park at the southern end if you want the naturist section.....
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

3rded wee mad road. Fine in a car I expect.

Before that, Bealach na ba to Applecross then along coast. Honesty box camping right above Shieldaig. walk down to clean public loos and onwards to pub.
haydenw

Post by haydenw »

Place to visit - Smoo caves near Durness looks impressive.

Also if the weather permits then Kervaig bothy near Cape Wrath is in an idyllic setting - on its own beach too. (You cant take vehicles across the crossing but could walk / get the minibus service part way). Could be an alternative to a campsite one night.

similarly, the Strabeg bothy near Lake Eriboll could be an alternative to a campsite and is a only a few km walk from the road.

**Not been to any of the places listed above but have them earmarked as potentials for my Scotland trip in May.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I drove the "mad road" in my VW Transporter and it's fine as long as you don't meet an idiot going too fast the other way (same's true of most winding singletrack roads though). My dad did it in his Hymer (big motorhome) a few years ago and found it quite traumatic though! :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Of course, what you really want for the Wee Mad Road is a motorcycle....
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Smoo Cave and the bone caves at Inchnadamph...

https://youtu.be/B17y-5HLzPs
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blair512 wrote:I should note we're driving, I suggested cycling but I was quickly shut down! Using it as a bit of a recce at the same time for a possible future attempt on bike
oops, comments still stand though as you might get fed up being stuck behind german camper vans on single track roads....
ScotRoutes wrote:Of course, what you really want for the Wee Mad Road is a motorcycle....
Oh yes
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote:Of course, what you really want for the Wee Mad Road is a motorcycle....
It's nice on a motorbike but you still have to be very careful on the blind corners. I rode it on my KTM 690 which was quite an agile bike but it still felt a bit "big" for a road like that.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Aye that would be ideal, maybe one day I'll get my ZX9 back on the road!
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

we will be doing a 16 night tour of Scotland and including the NC500 starting on the 3rd of May in guess what .... Yup a Campervan :-bd :lol:

anything else you think we should be weary of or forewarned about Scotroutes? any good advice would be greatly appreciated
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Found it T :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lawmanmx wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:32 pm we will be doing a 16 night tour of Scotland and including the NC500 starting on the 3rd of May in guess what .... Yup a Campervan :-bd :lol:

anything else you think we should be weary of or forewarned about Scotroutes? any good advice would be greatly appreciated
Most basic advice is: make sure you book sites in advance, don't expect any "wild" spot to be free, and don't park causing any obstruction.

Also - look out for foreign drivers on the wrong side of the road. There's currently a bit of a campaign going on regarding this, including painting more arrows on the roads.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-47851582
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Campsites? :o
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

My recommendation is the Sango Sands campsite in Durness. I didn’t camp there but dined and drank. The food was great and it was somewhat surprising to find Kozel on draught there.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

AlasdairMc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 am My recommendation is the Sango Sands campsite in Durness. I didn’t camp there but dined and drank. The food was great and it was somewhat surprising to find Kozel on draught there.
Also Achmelvich
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

AlasdairMc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 am My recommendation is the Sango Sands campsite in Durness. I didn’t camp there but dined and drank. The food was great and it was somewhat surprising to find Kozel on draught there.
I'll second this, it was the best campsite we visited. Also if you get a chance walk out to Sandwood bay, it's amazing out there!
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Fantastic, thanks for that fellas, any more for any more??
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Good steaks (and other food in general) at Mackay’s Hotel in Wick.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mackays is on the shortest street in the world.