ritchey commando

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alec

ritchey commando

Post by Alec »

Hi all

Looking for a bit of help,

my new frame has turned up thanks to the bargains thread, but i cant quite work out what headset is needed for it. I know I need an integrated headset but is it an is 41.2 or 42 that I need? or if anyone can link what they have got for their new frame that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Alec
restlessshawn

Re: ritchey commando

Post by restlessshawn »

If it's the same as my swiss cross

https://www.acycles.co.uk/ritchey-comp- ... gJAl_D_BwE

Actually a Ritchey frameset should have the headset included, worth asking Merlin (edit: oh actually I see Merlin say not included!)
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Thanks, most places seem to be out of stock for that headset! So, how many people have took the plunge with the Commando frameset here then? I couldn't resist:

Have hubs and rims on the way to build up some 29er wheels to start with. Also need to decide on cranks - I'm lost when Shimano isn't an option!
Last edited by JoseMcTavish on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

One of the nicest fatbike frames I have seen IMO. If wasnt for a perfectly good 2013 Mukluk in the loft that comes out when snowing or off to the coast I would have bought one of those.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Is it a standard threaded BB, 100mm wide? If so then any HT2 BB and a 100mm crankset with 24mm spindle will work. I have a RaceFace AEffect crankset on my fat bike with a direct mount single ring.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Aye, standard thread, just wish Shimano did a chainset with a 100mm axle. I was looking at the RaceFace cranks, any extra tools needed for the AEffect one?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

JoseMcTavish wrote:Aye, standard thread, just wish Shimano did a chainset with a 100mm axle. I was looking at the RaceFace cranks, any extra tools needed for the AEffect one?
Crank puller - can't remember now if it's ISIS or the other type, my puller handles both. Annoyingly the RF manual shows how to fit them but not take them off! There might be a tool to tighten/loosen the direct mount as well but it could use something standard like the Hollowtech BB removal tool, can't remember :oops:
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Thanks Bob, sounds like I've got what I'd need then - probably!
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

JoseMcTavish wrote:Thanks, most places seem to be out of stock for that headset! So, how many people have took the plunge with the Commando frameset here then? I couldn't resist:

Have hubs and rims on the way to build up some 29er wheels to start with. Also need to decide on cranks - I'm lost when Shimano isn't an option!
That does look lovely and I'm a bit of a Ritchey fan but when I started adding up the build cost of a cheap frame it did not look so cheap
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Can be done relatively cheaply. Apart from Cranks and wheels its all std MTB stuff

Cranks can be found pretty cheap. Think my Race Face Ride cranks were £80 from Tweeks (104bcd double or triple). Or there is the Aeffect that Whitestone mentions. Raceface BBs are pretty rubbish though so replace with 24mm Hollowtech2 BB of choice when needed. Or Planet X were doing Sram X5 for c.£50?

Wheels / tyres are always the spendy part on a Fat bike. When I built mine 4-5 years ago the only rims were Surly, Surly or Surly at £150 each at the time. Eventually found some rims at Robbson in Germany which were £25 each but a pain to tubeless. Im now using DT Swiss Br710 which I really rate.
Hubs, I use Hope Fatsno which have been faultless but if need cheap have a look around for Novatec. https://www.ridewill.it sometimes carry cheap stock of hubs and rims. Can use a rear MTB hub in the front at a push.
Tyres; hunt around for bargains. Planet X again

UK Fatbike Selling face book page is pretty good for 2nd hand bargains or response to a wanted ad.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I'm aiming to keep the spending down since it will make the frame seem like less of a bargain if I go overboard with the parts. I've gone with some 32H Novatech hubs as Hope were a bit too much and some Stan's Flow Mk3 rims which were a decent price at Winstanley's. If I get it built up in time to do a few miles on it, it might even end up on the HT550 instead of my antiquated 26er!
techno

Post by techno »

I noticed on the JRA website today that they've their own rang of hubs, including fatties. Prices look reasonable:
http://www.justridingalong.com/wheel-parts/hubs.html
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Keep an eye on ebay for aefect cranks (mind and get the 100 / 170 version) I got a pair of normal ones for £90 inc BB and ring, brand new. Fat bike ones a bit dearer but still good value. Superstar rings are a good option down to 26t and much cheaper than the RF stuff (which can also be picked up on fleabay) - don't get the boost version however. Works components also do good rings but only down to 28T and a 26 to a 42 is a good granny gear for a fat bike.
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Been really tempted to get one for myself as currently don't have a fat bike but got 4 bikes already and a frame needing to be built.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Was tipped off earlier that Planet X have SRAM Gx fat cranks (170mm, 28t) on offer at £40 so picked up a set. On inspection the cheapest place to get a 100mm gx bb is Tredz
Alec

Post by Alec »

Everything for mine is coming off my dune which is just far to small, then I'm going to rebuild the dunes wheels with some novatec hubs ive found for 130 euros for a pair, just need to source the headset and it should be built in time for the wrt.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Some good info here! I went for the SRAM cranks, as £40 was too good a deal to miss out on - we'll see how long a GXP BB lasts...

My hubs also came to 132 euros which was nicely below the other options, provided Novatech.eu is a genuine site! Now just need to squeeze in some wheel building time.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve got some of the JRA Snow Pig hubs. They’re actually rebranded Bitex hubs and I’m very impressed with them.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I’m considering a pair of Alpkit’s Love Mud fat wheels - seem great value at £279.00
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Good price, but aren't they the wrong axle size?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

All this talke of Aeffect cranks (which I've just whipped off my trek to replace with another set), and the stupid price this is - I am sooo tempted! Just need some wheels an I reckon most of the other stuff I could cobble together easily-ish...
Good job I'm I have no money right now really :lol:
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Ah, you’re right Jose. Looks like wheels will be the most expensive part of the build.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Thought I'd post a progress update on mine and see how others are getting on! After a few weeks of the usual bargain hunting, I managed to pull together enough bits to start building the bike:

Wheels got built during the week and taped up. Went for Novatech hubs with Stan's Flow rims and ACI spokes to keep costs down:

I spent ages deliberating over tyres, but couldn't find exactly what I wanted in a plus sized tyre, so ended up with Bontrager XR2 29x2.35, which apparently size up big, so I'll give them a shot since they weren't too dear! Fitted the headset, forks and tyres and wheeled it out for a quick picture on my way out this morning:

Need to get it finished up quick, so I can see if I'm tempted to take it on the Highland Trail next month!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks nice that Craig. I've a Bonty XR2 2.35 up front and they are pretty spot on with sizing, to within a mm or so anyway on Hope rims with 19.5mm ID.

What are the bars?
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Cheers Bob, the bike is much better looking than the frame on its own would suggest, weirdly! The Flows are 29mm internal, so hoping to get a bit more size from that. Main worry would be doing serious miles without suspension and the overall fatigue that might add. Opposite ends of the scale really - I'll either be on a 26 inch full suspension or a rigid 29er! The bars are On-One OG bars, same as I use on the full sus - plenty of sweep without going too far. Might try Jones one day, if I can bring myself to splash the cash!