Forclaz ultralight trekking tent

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blue Wheeler

Forclaz ultralight trekking tent

Post by Blue Wheeler »

Anyone heard of Forclaz tents? At 1.6 kg and a small pack size they seem like a good deal?
Decathlon supply them for £95 https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-1-perso ... 92462.html
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Forclaz ultralight trekking tent

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

At 1.6 kg
and
ultralight
for the second time in as many days, I'm failing to understand :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I think that’s one of their own ‘brands’. Not used that tent but generally their stuff is good value for money, never the very-best-available but good enough.

They are very good at warranties too. They will replace anything within a year (or longer for some products)

That said you’ll probably find the same tent on aliexpress for less than half the cost.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll try and be of more practical help this time ... for an additional £40 you could buy a Force 10 Helium. A superb tent that weighs just over a kilo but can be tweaked to weigh just under, which in my mind puts it into the realm of real ultralight tents.

https://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/tents/tent ... green-.htm
May the bridges you burn light your way
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I'd highly recommend the Helium. I have the 2 man version and its great, though too small for 2.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not a comment on the Forclaz or the Helium but in smaller tents in general.

We've a Terra Nova Lasercomp, yep the classic 1.5 man tent. In practice you can get two close friends (or partners) inside but only if you use CCF mats like a Karrimat or a Thermarest RidgeRest. The side wall leans in so if you use something like the Exped Synmat or Downmat, the Alpkit Nemo, or the Thermarest NeoAirs then you will struggle to get one person in there.

Not sure if there's an accepted definition of ultralight but I think 1kg is probably the upper limit (including pegs and poles)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Chew

Post by Chew »

Theres also the buy once rather than twice rule.

If you bought the Helium and decided to sell at in the future you could get 50-70% of your cash back.
Something like the Forclaz you may struggle to sell on.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Thinking about it I’m sure I have a similar tent sat at home.

I’ll need to look for it but you can have it for £25 plus postage if you want
Blue Wheeler

Post by Blue Wheeler »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'll try and be of more practical help this time ... for an additional £40 you could buy a Force 10 Helium. A superb tent that weighs just over a kilo but can be tweaked to weigh just under, which in my mind puts it into the realm of real ultralight tents.

That's a nice looking tent though a lot more than £40 extra? That said seems a reasonable price given the weight saving. :cool:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Blue Wheeler wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'll try and be of more practical help this time ... for an additional £40 you could buy a Force 10 Helium. A superb tent that weighs just over a kilo but can be tweaked to weigh just under, which in my mind puts it into the realm of real ultralight tents.

That's a nice looking tent though a lot more than £40 extra? That said seems a reasonable price given the weight saving. :cool:
When Stu posted the link, it was ~£135
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

eve and i have used the 2 man vershion of this on WRT and it fits in my bar hearness fine and isnt too heavy for me anywya
, they are verry well made tents i have a couple of the quetchua tents and have hammered them in scotland for a few years even in winter skiing etc.
Blue Wheeler

Post by Blue Wheeler »

Thanks for the tip regarding the Vango F10 Helium Go Outdoors are doing 15% discount for everything using code Easter18 so I snapped one up for £152 delivered :-bd
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

hope ur vango is better than my vango ostro mountain tent, would rather have my quetcua ones any day , snapped a pole on the second outing..... where as the decathlon tents are still going strong after years of heavy use