Too soon for a WRT set up thread?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Too soon for a WRT set up thread?

Post by TheBrownDog »

Surely not. Not for me anyway. Sam (he of the field) and I are on a mission this Friday to test our WRT set ups with about 20 miles of Chilterns muck and bumps, including a visit to a local jump site to hit a few doubles (not really)

I've been messing with my set up to get my water off my sweaty back and aching neck once and for all. In doing so, the last vestige of aesthetic value has been stripped from my bike. The water has gone into a 2lt plastic bottle in the repurposed Ocelot on the top tube, meaning my shelter is now in one of the commando rigged gorilla cages on the fork legs. The other one has lots of food in it. Even carefully colour coordinated, they are ugly. So. Ugly. Still, two gorilla cages is more volume than the Ocelot, so I can carry more of the things I really don't need, like three pairs of socks, extra nicks, waterproof trousers, a down jacket and trousers and a very large flask of something drunkiddy in my seat pack. TLS? Nope.

I'm just going outside ...
BigdummySteve

Re: Too soon for a WRT set up thread?

Post by BigdummySteve »

2ltr of water? There’s no shortage of water in wales, small bottle and a MSR trailshot filter will save you 1.5Kg
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Oh crap! Forgot about this :oops:

Bike? Check
Luggage? Check

Phew!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

BigdummySteve wrote:2ltr of water? There’s no shortage of water in wales, small bottle and a MSR trailshot filter will save you 1.5Kg
Steve mate, I'm really thirsty. I go through 500ml every half an hour. If I dont, I get cramps and headaches and worse. Riding in a group, Im not going to be constantly moaning about needing a water source, so i carry a fair bit of it.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I drink a lot of water too but honestly in that part of wales avoiding water sources is hard :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Nice set up, but I doubt it’s gonna win you the pork pie on Taylor’s Scales of Truth!
At least you’ll be comfy and well hydrated.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I thought the WRT was a weekend? I had less kit on the bike for a three month tour.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It *is* a long weekend :grin:

On a serious note, TLS is all well and good but it doesn't help shrink the size of the kit that you do take. I dream of a sleeping bag the size of a grape fruit, a tarp & bivvy the size of a small pack towel and a mat no bigger than the sleeping bag but the reality is that my sleep 'system' fills most of my bar bag and (small) seat bag and it's going to be a slow process to shrink it.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Surely not indeed TBD. I've been doing a but of stove building for fun in advance, need to try it you with new diy caldera cone yet though.

Cat can copy at the back worked most efficiently, but it was just running out when i took picture though :roll:
Never knowingly under biked...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Brown Dog, I like the idea of trailling a Dyson along behind to erase any of those nasty tyre prints. Has the added advantage of not letting your competitors sus out where you've been. Oops, forgot it's non competitive.
Not sure about the ethics of having an electric skateboard up front though.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

PaulB2 wrote:It *is* a long weekend :grin:

On a serious note, TLS is all well and good but it doesn't help shrink the size of the kit that you do take. I dream of a sleeping bag the size of a grape fruit, a tarp & bivvy the size of a small pack towel and a mat no bigger than the sleeping bag but the reality is that my sleep 'system' fills most of my bar bag and (small) seat bag and it's going to be a slow process to shrink it.
Unfortunately that tends to cost :oops:

Edit: I've not even decided which bike to take yet (first world problem). That will only get decided once we've seen the grid refs and figured out a route (and bail out options) that we like. Kit taken will really depend upon the weather and most likely only be packed in time for the weigh-in, whatever's left will stay in the car.
Last edited by whitestone on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

whitestone wrote:
PaulB2 wrote:It *is* a long weekend :grin:

Unfortunately that tends to cost :oops:
Which is why it's going to be such a slow process :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

On the other side of the coin - you bring what the hell you like Tim mate, and enjoy your weekend in whatever way you wish (*) :wink:. There Are No Rules (apart from the cake one obviously). Oh, if anyone literally wants to take The Kitchen Sink, you can borrow mine - it's a 40g S2S one. Nicely doubles up as a bidet as well. Or a swimming pool for your pet mouse travelling companion.

'R'

(*) even if that means visiting Golden Sands chipshop, there's no shame in a bit of honest masochism.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Just save bag space for bacon rolls. Saturday dinner sorted???
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

TheBrownDog.
Where is the water on that bike set up?
I can't see it.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Anyone else at The Star Inn on the Friday night?

No rush to get to the start line in the morning as well :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

JohnClimber wrote:TheBrownDog.
I can't see it.
Camelbak bladder???
Blue hose across front of bike
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Asposium wrote:
JohnClimber wrote:TheBrownDog.
I can't see it.
Camelbak bladder???
Blue hose across front of bike
Oh yeh, spotted it.
Ta
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone else at The Star Inn on the Friday night?
Well done John, you've just reminded me .... Gareth is just out of hospital after being run over by his own low-loader. Made a very nasty mess of his leg as you can imagine. I don't yet know how or if his accident will impact the pub but I shall try and keep everyone posted.
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

On the other side of the coin - you bring what the hell you like Tim mate, and enjoy your weekend in whatever way you wish (*) :wink:
Cheers Reg. I most certainly will. I don't take things personally and do like a bit of banter. Never ceases to amaze me how different everyone's approach to bikepacking is. I will happily admit to always over-packing - you should have seen what I took to Italy last weekend !!!
RIP

Post by RIP »

"do like a bit of banter" - amen :smile:.

"Anyone else at the Star" - yes indeedy. Judging by the list of contenders so far it'll turn out to be just as sordid as usual :-bd. Train tickets all booked now, and I shall partake of my traditional relaxed ride from Caersws station on Friday afternoon, arriving conveniently as the sun is over the yardarm...

"Gareth....leg". Blimey. Poor Gareth :sad:. Not sure what to say. A lovely guy he is. Sending a card or something might be a bit presumptious/overfamiliar, or?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Gareth....leg". Blimey. Poor Gareth :sad:. Not sure what to say. A lovely guy he is. Sending a card or something might be a bit presumptious/overfamiliar, or?
While a smashed up leg doesn't sound lucky - when you consider that the truck fell into the ravine / quarry below the pub, a smashed up leg does seem quite lucky. I'll pass on best wishes from the 'Boners' Reg.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah.

"best wishes" - Thanks Stuart.

scott of the woods

Post by scott of the woods »

(*) even if that means visiting Golden Sands chipshop, there's no shame in a bit of honest masochism.[/quote]

Oh how I miss my place of birth