Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Hi all, sometime lurker, first time poster, thought I should say hi.

I'm Western Lake District based and soon to start bikepacking. Done a few tours and overnighters in B&Bs etc. Planning some short over-nighters from home to test gear etc.

I'm currently riding a 2012 Boardman Team MTB 26er and a Rose ProDX cross and have a random assortment of backpacking gear I'll attempt to attach to either bike with various straps.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a short over-nighter as a first pass in the Western/Northern/Southern Lakes? I don't mind driving to a start if need be.

Also, what's a cheap food solution as I don't have any cooking equipment at the moment. Was planning on getting a Brukit or kraku and pots, any recommendations?

Cheers,

Andy
whitestone

Re: Newbie

Post by whitestone »

Can't help with the bivy locations even though I grew up in the South Lakes, have a ride around one day and see if you spot any locally. You shouldn't be able to see any houses from the ideal location = there's no-one to see you :-bd

Cooking: do a search for pop/beer/soda can stoves and make your own, not too difficult and you only need a Stanley knife or similar. You'll need to make a windshield as well. Nip down to your local hardware store and buy some meths for fuel. Unless it's really cold a meths stove is fine even if it is a little slower than gas or petrol. Get a cheap pan or metal mug and you can boil water. Best not to think about cooking in the same way as at home, if you can boil water then boil in the bag type foods are fine and you don't need to do any washing up!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

When it comes to food, you can eat whatever you want to. If you don't mind cold food then you won't need a stove. It's easy to get too focused on 'outdoor' food but as long as it's got the calories to make up for what you're burning and you can keep it down then anything will do. On a short overnighter the weight/bulk isn't such an issue. If i'm not taking a stove then savoury it's sausage rolls/steak slice/pork pies and the like. Sweet is biscuits/bars/chocolate/pastry, whatever is in the house when packing. One of the great things about riding a loaded bike over hilly terrain is you can eat whatever you like and not worry. If you can pass a cafe for breakfast in the morning that's a hot meal sorted without carrying it :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Hi Andy

Have a look at last year's JennRide (https://www.facebook.com/events/1778400 ... _tab=about) and take it from there. Parkamoor above Grizedale seems a popular bivi spot. Plenty of other spots if you're sensible. If you can find a route over Honister there's a roomy bothy at Dubs. Likewise Lingy Hut near Caldbeck.

Chris
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Thanks all, I'll have a crack at making a can stove and I've spied out a couple of spots for short overnighters. I'll let you know how it goes.