Condensation? Or not...?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pickers

Condensation? Or not...?

Post by Pickers »

The weekend's BAM was spent in my tent this time - a Terra Nova Laser that's now 8 or 9 years old.
Come the morning there was a fair amount of damp on the tent floor under the sleep mat - rest of the floor was dry, as was the inner shell. The outer had quite a bit of condensation inside. The base of the mat had picked up moisture as well but not the upper side. The vents at each end of the tent were open. Everything else inside the tent was dry.
My first thought was that the floor was weeping slightly with the pressure of my lying on it.
The other lads thought it could still be condensation. I'm familiar with interstitial condensation but I've not encountered this before.
So, do I need a footprint? Or more ventilation?
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Ray Young

Re: Condensation? Or not...?

Post by Ray Young »

I had a small tent of a similar age and it started doing exactly that. I put it down to water seeping through the ground sheet due to the pressure from lying down.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Condensation below an insulated mat is pretty common.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Forget the tent and just use a bivvy bag Rich ... that way, you'll know it's condensation for certain :-bd

I wouldn't rule out condensation but the only way you'll likely know for sure, is to put something you know to be waterproof under the groundsheet.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Noticed my MSR Hubba Hubba has started doing this, I've put it down to it being old and the groundsheet not being as waterproof. Excuse to buy a new tent I think! :lol:
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I made a footprint for my similarly aged Laser. It was def struggling on wet ground. Still impressed at how such a light tent has coped and lasted.
Sarah
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

It was a very condensation prone night, my inner was very wet. Where I was set up it was dripping off the trees.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just to be contrary :wink:, my tarp was reasonably dry in the same circumstances, certainly not dripping. Sleeping bag bone dry. Just a small damp patch on the Winterlite mat ( personal problem, best not go into it (*) ). Just follow The Way Of The Tarp :-bd.

(*) Nooooo! Joking.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster