recommendations for side entry water bottle cages

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

recommendations for side entry water bottle cages

Post by Asposium »

following on the from the water bottle and half bag thread.....

does anyone have any recommendations for a side entry water bottle cage?
PaulB2

Re: recommendations for side entry water bottle cages

Post by PaulB2 »

I don't have one to recommend but I can't recommend the Bontrager one. It consists of two plastic pieces, a base and a reversible cage. After half a dozen trips the cage now falls off at the merest provocation because the screws have eaten away at the holes meaning the cage just shakes loose.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I have similar problems with my tangle bag, I use a Specialized Zee cage (older version)
Not lost a bottle but have had one break as I clumsily put my bike down and a rock knocked it
Last edited by Mart on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2924 miles per Gallon
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Get the specialized older version. The one thats either left ir right sided entry depending on wgere you place it (down tube or seat tube).

The latest version is a flipflop design which can be used for both right or left. I haven't used this one so cannot comment.

Anothrr one I tried and didnt get on with was a version by Lezyne. I found that it squished my bottle a bit more than than i liked and was hard to get in and out of. All tested on road bike/some on gravel and a little section or 2 of singletrack (got there by mistake) with a Revelate Design ftame bag attached...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

redefined_cycles wrote:Get the specialized older version. The one thats either left ir right sided entry depending on wgere you place it (down tube or seat tube).

The latest version is a flipflop design which can be used for both right or left. I haven't used this one so cannot comment.

Anothrr one I tried and didnt get on with was a version by Lezyne. I found that it squished my bottle a bit more than than i liked and was hard to get in and out of. All tested on road bike/some on gravel and a little section or 2 of singletrack (got there by mistake) with a Revelate Design ftame bag attached...

I’ve used both of these types without too many issues. One thing I notice though - there’s no standard in bottles and cages. There’s significant differences in which ones fit well and play nicely together.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The left/right sided Zee cages work for me.
I’ve used both of these types without too many issues. One thing I notice though - there’s no standard in bottles and cages. There’s significant differences in which ones fit well and play nicely together
Yep. You'd have thought there was some sort of standard but it appears there's much variation - particularly in the heightand shape of the indentation in the bottle. I gave in and bought two Specialized bottles just to make sure.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

I've got two of these in white which work great but look *terrible* on a black bike, so if you wanted them I'd sell them cheap! https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Flow-Bo ... _64266.htm

I've got the Elite Cannibal on the bike now, which aren't side entry but work almost the same and allow me to use a frame bag.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Had mixed results, which could have been as much the fault of the bottle as the cage.

Serfas CC-450 carbon cage (bought in Colorado - never seen them in the UK) worked well with a Camelbak 750ml bottle.

Arundel was less successful (can't remember what bottle - it was ejected on the Dirty Riever bumpy descent), which is disappointing as their centre pull Mandible cage grips very tightly.

Just ordered the Mt Zoom side entry for a new bike; never used that product, but liked their other components.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Cyclorise currently has a sale on, only £6 each: https://www.cyclorise.com/store/p93/Lez ... ottle-Cage.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Just ordered 2 cages from cycloride. Good spot! Thanks... :-bd
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...