Pipedream sleeping bag anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

Pipedream sleeping bag anyone?

Post by Sarah »

Hi

My partner is looking for a lightweight down bag for spring to autumn use.

I have Rab bags of some vintage which very happy with, but we are interested in Alpkit Pipedream 400. It is about the same on weight and insulation and over 100 quid cheaper than the Rab equivalent.

Anyone used their bags? Any feedback?

Thanks in advance.

Sarah
Sarah
Mart

Re: Pipedream sleeping bag anyone?

Post by Mart »

I had an early version, not sure if they have tweaked it since - Used it a lot from spring to autumn. Liked it
However
Have purchased a cumulus quilt and its lighter and smaller pack size for the same performance
Given that AK have increased the price of their bags since I bought mine then it made it made the quilt seem even better value
2924 miles per Gallon
Loki

Post by Loki »

I have both the Pipedream 200 and 600, for winter and summer use, good pack size, keeps me nice and warm, I layer up with a liner if needed. Love mine.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
TimBB

Post by TimBB »

I have the PD 200 and 400

I would recommend it. It's good.

The 2 is definitely a summer bag. 400 much warmer and does me in most (non summer) situations.
Last used at Dryfehead bothy last month and lots last year during bivvi a month ( have done 26 months now)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just gone into the alpkit sale
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Saw that, looks like we are taking a trip this weekend....
Sarah
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Used my 400 for the first time last night. Landlord at the pub I stopped at before my bivvy reckoned the temperature was 1°C and it stayed clear all night. I didn't die of hypothermia. YMMV.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Loki wrote:I have both the Pipedream 200 and 600, for winter and summer use, good pack size, keeps me nice and warm, I layer up with a liner if needed. Love mine.
I've been procrastinating about which bag to buy for a couple of weeks now, and am strangely drawn to the pipedream 200 - mainly because of the pack size and cost.
Now I know about the "cheap,light, good - pick any two" rule, but given that I'm definitely not going on any bivi trips in the winter, what are people's thoughts about this for use at the beginning of May, mid-summer, and mid-september?
The alpkit range is a bit perplexing, in that there doesn't really seem to be anything mid-way between the PD200 (7 degrees) and bags rated at below zero degrees (other than the Mountain Ghost 200, which is significantly larger and heavier)
Just how feasible is the PD200, for my needs - assuming that I supplement it with base layers, a bag liner and/or a fleece, if necessary?
Not really looking to spend much more than that, but open to suggestions.

For reference, I've just put together my bikepacking kit, and despite everything squeezing in nicely, most of my bar bag is taken up by a pretty crappy supermarket sleeping bag that has no temperature ratings on it (but has 200g m2 of synthetic fill) that I'd like to replace with something smaller, to allow for more dry clothes etc.

Kit list

Sleeping mat - snugpak
Tarp - DD Hammock 3*3
BiviBag - Alpkit Hunka XL

Moon on a stick, or just overthinking it?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Whether a 200 is suitable will depend on a few factors other than the bag, such as, are you a warm / cold sleeper, outside temp, wind, over night spot, etc, etc.

Obviously, the above is of no use at all in helping you decide,

When looking at packsize, it's worth remembering that down will compress far better than you imagine, so a bag with 400g of insulation won't pack much bigger than a bag with 200g.

The ME Helium 250 looks a decent option - here for £180 https://www.gaynors.co.uk/equipment-c15 ... -bag-p2571

I've just noticed the pd is stitch through - which puts me off a little but maybe that's a personal thing.

EDIT: If you really want to save some weight / bulk then how about a quilt? A Cumulus 150 is £150 from Andy at Backcountry and mine's kept me toasty in the conditions you describe. You'll be amazed by how small it packs and the weight.

https://backcountry.scot/product/cumulus-quilt-150/
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've noted on other threads that down kit seems to have gone up in price quite significantly in the last couple of years, way more than inflation even allowing for a bit of leeway. The less extreme end of Alpkit's range like the Pipedreams seem to have taken a bigger hit than others. This has pushed them closer to the likes of PHD (not near but closer).

Alpkit aren't alone in having "gaps" in their range, PHD jump from +5C to -5C (with one exception at 0C).

As Stu notes, the Cumulus 150 is a very light and compact quilt for the same sort of money. I use mine for the same time frame you wish to use a bag for. I do sleep warm though, if you are a cool sleeper then the 250 might be better (all sleeping bag ratings assume you are wearing a thin base layer BTW). Not everyone gets on with quilts especially if you are a restless sleeper so you need to take that into consideration and if you are much taller than 6' then you'd need a custom bag - I'm 180cm (5'11") and I reckon I'm the maximum height for the Cumulus quilts. Apart from that, bang for buck there's not much to match them.

Further to Stu's "other factors" is the lag in ground temperatures when compared to air temperatures through the year: the ground in May is still quite cool whereas it's quite warm well into October.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
haydenw

Post by haydenw »

If you can find them instore, the Aldi down sleeping bag is now reduced to £20 (they are in the one in Radford - Nottingham) - not picked one up myself but for £20 could be a consideration.

Paired with a jacket it could be a Autumn / Spring bag.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Stu - you are right about the variables involved. I sleep quite warm, but do like to 'cocoon' and am a bit sensitive to draughts, which is why I've shied away from quilts.
I'm also a bit wary of the shock cords and toggles on the Cumulus 150 being annoying to lie on - and I'm 6ft, so it could be a bit short.
(You have piqued my interest, slightly, though.)

Whilst looking at the Back Country Scot website, however, I saw the Ultralight Series, which seem to fall within that temperature gap that I mentioned earlier. In true internet fashion, however, these (and the quilts) are not in stock.

The helium 250 is quite interesting, although I'm not sure what distinguishes a women's sleeping bag from a man's.

Whitestone - point noted about the temperature lag. I've experienced this, when I used to Scuba dive, as the sea behaves in a similar fashion, and we quite often dived comfortably, in October (in the English Channel)

More investigations required, methinks.

Thanks for you input - greatly appreciated.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I just removed the cords from my quilt - just too much faff!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

I've got the PIpedream 400 (the older version, not the new one with hydrophobic down), I sleep cold and it's been really good. I've only really been cold doing the BB winter events, but I wore a down jacket too and that helped, a bit!
------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.Sussex-MTB.com
Riding bikes, dreaming about riding bikes.
My head is on the Tour Divide
------------------------------------------------------------
Rollodes

Post by Rollodes »

Hi. I have the latest version of the pipedream 400. It's really good. It packs down very small, and it's nice and warm. I've been out Jan, Feb and March with it in an alpkit Bivvy bag and it's been very comfortable. I'm 6ft 1" and got the XL one, but the standard sized one would have been fine I think.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

I've got the PD 200 and it's very thin. Like others have said it's really a summer bag only. I pair it with one of their 200 fill weight Cloud Cover quilts when it's colder. I imagine that gives me about the same warmth as the 400 weight bag, but that the two are bulkier to carry.

If I were buying again I think I'd go for the 400 bag. Agree with those saying it's a shame there isn't a 300 in the range.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

There used to be a pipedream 300. I have one.

Good bag but I don’t much like the central zip.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

There’s a 400 for sale on the fb bike and bivy group...

Edit. And the same one in the classifieds here too
Mike

Post by Mike »

for the price id be buying arties cumulus 350 quilt and that u can always open it up