Raceking woes again...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

Raceking woes again...

Post by rufus748 »

After the failure of the bead on my raceking during the Spain CTC when it unraveled I was sent a replacement by the store.
In the last couple of weeks the new one has started losing air. Further examination this morning showed the bead on this one is also coming unraveled..... :roll:
I can't find any similar issues on the internet, I've checked the rim and it's fine.
So, anyone else had a problem with them? And what's a good fast alternative.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Raceking woes again...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've had Conti's split right on the edge where the sidewall joins the bead. This was on older Speed Kings.

Maxxis Icon maybe or Geax AKA?
May the bridges you burn light your way
HUX

Post by HUX »

Had this with 2 x-kings. Replaced by crc. I think the inside edge of the stans arch mk3 rim is square rather than rounded and run at lower pressures and add a bit of grit just cuts its way through the bead. And conti beads dont look very substantial to start with!
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Interesting Hux, it is indeed an Arch mk 3 !

What did you replace it with and has it been any better?
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

I had a couple of Knards go the same way. Suspect the pressure was to low, causing the tyre to creep relative to the rim. Going tubeless sorted the problem.
HUX

Post by HUX »

I've stuck with the x kings on the back for now till they have worn out and running them a little bit harder. I had the rim replaced too, the inside edge of the last arch felt like a used junior hacksaw blade!
Mike

Post by Mike »

As Hux says, i had this exact problem. I think its when u run them lower pressures grit gets in there and wears em away. I now run them harder too. I have got a Maxxis Ardent now on my new wider rim and this is so good. Its very grippy but not super draggy on the tarmac, think id move to these once all my x kings have gone! Oh and iv just got a wtb ranger for the rear but its only a 2.2 which i reckon will be fast for stuff like the BB200 :-bd
Shame about the xkings coz i really like them but no good if you have to use a cable tie to get ya home.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Cheers guys, found a racing Ralph in the tyre pile in the garage so that's gone on for now.
I'll strip it after tomorrow's ride and see if the bead is damaged and double check the rim.