Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Re: Wildlife

Post by PaulB2 »

Wrong thread...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:10 am Wrong thread...
No he spotted it near the Star
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Whilst driving to the vets yesterday afternoon, a Merlin came out of the trees and flew a few feet ahead for 50 yards or so before veering off back into the trees - lovely she was.

.... and yeah, that's a rare Welsh Panda. You can tell because it looks grumpy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

We have a couple of blackbird nests - 1 in the garage but that fell off the beam this morning and the eggs are smashed (I've put it back but I don't hold out much hope - will put some wire round it tomorrow so it stays put), and the other on the bonfire (which is really frustrating as I was going to burn it tomorrow). I've ordered a cheap wildlife camera to get some nesting bird pics.

Plus had a hedgehog in the wood the other night - the dog was going mad at the ball of sharp spines. Don't see these anywhere near as frequently as I used to.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:04 pm I have lots of tadpoles in my mini garden pond. Seems a bit insignificant to mention, compared to a basking shark.
IIRC(edit) basking shark eat planktin/shrill(?), Tadpoles eat their own.
Its frog eat frog in your pond!
Smaller and more deadly. :shock:

Edit typo corrected. why can I not see mistakes in preview, I never could proofread my own stuf.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
HUX

Post by HUX »

Hux... how long did you wait for that? How'd I put one up and any specific orientation I need to have it facing pls 
I had to wait about a year. It's about 20' up an Alder tree and It faces roughly north but not sure if that makes any difference. I just made it out of some scrap ply to some dimensions I found online.Here it is
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nYUcAD ... p=drivesdk

And my tame robin
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nGoPaW ... p=drivesdk
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

We have got a pair of Great Tits nesting in the bird box which has a camera and they have got two
eggs at the moment.
Also spotted a Giant Egret in the river, that bird has a huge wingspan !!
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Saw a large wild boar on last Sunday's ride. Also a Coypu and some Deer. Various birds of prey but I'm rubbish at identifying them.
Grubby little urchin.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

On the way and way back from tonight's group ride - couple of hares in the field, then spooked a big deer with my lights and loads of rabbits knocking about
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

HUX wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:25 pm
Hux... how long did you wait for that? How'd I put one up and any specific orientation I need to have it facing pls 
I had to wait about a year. It's about 20' up an Alder tree and It faces roughly north but not sure if that makes any difference. I just made it out of some scrap ply to some dimensions I found online.Here it is
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nYUcAD ... p=drivesdk

And my tame robin
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nGoPaW ... p=drivesdk
Wow... well done HUX
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Heard my first cookoo this year in Clumber Park.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Saw the Glendevon reservoir eagle on Sunday. I was riding alongside the res when I noticed three birds of prey bothering each other. This resolved itself into two buzzards mobbing something much bigger. It turned away from me and its enormous wingspan was revealed. I saw it last year and the year before but thought it was a golden eagle. This time I confirmed its a sea eagle as its bigger and has a white tail. The release site for these is about 15 miles away from here so little wonder really but still fab to see. My photo showed three indistinguishable dots.....
psling

Post by psling »

HUX wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:17 pm I haven't seen it yet but I've got a Tawny owl in my owl box. I can hear it every now and again during the day. :grin:
We've now got a Tawny owl taken up residence in one of our wood sheds, on a joint of beams in a top corner :cool:

Close by there are a pair of pine marten (introduced into the area a couple of years ago) settled in with the beavers (also introduced here about three years ago) - I have yet to actually see any of these! I did see another two pine marten about a year ago and reported the sighting to a local ranger who later confirmed my sighting; the martens were only introduced about two years ago and they were very interested that two had paired up. They are being tracked, some have perished on the roads but apparently there are now two lots that have paired up, the ones I saw and the ones in with the beavers :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Same the hares in the same field again last night. And lots of deer around here. More roe in the forest, spotted when walking the dog or out riding. Also a herd of 6 fallow deer, stopped and watched them for a bit
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Saw the first swift of the year (think it was a swift rather than a swallow) at the weekend when I happened to look up while I was working in the garden. Got to be a good sign whichever it was :smile:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Pretty certain I saw one of the ospreys of Bro Dyfi today. Looked almost like a bald eagle but chunkier, smaller and better looking (sorey bald eagle). Flew out over the road and immediately doibled back, super fast. Like it was on a pivot...

Other birds I saw were... Buzzard (I think) and another bird of prey with the tail spread out like the back end of a kite (plastic kite)... erm, come to think of it, I think I now realise what I saw.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lying in bed this morning there was a strange rattle from the cat flap. Cath got up to check as the cat was in the bedroom. It was a bird "trying to get in". Then it occurred to me that it probably wasn't trying to get in but was picking at the cat hairs on the cat flap door as lining for a nest. Adaptable thing wildlife :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'll probably get told off because 'remote' spottings don't count, but another shout for the Sheffield peregrinecam. New chicks! Check out the recent 15:15 feed. Could watch for ages. My daughter has it almost permanently on her screen when she should be getting on with some work, she can more or less see them outside her window anyway.

http://peregrine.group.shef.ac.uk/
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Unbelievable, some people some are just ar5eholes!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56955084
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

unbelievable what some people will do.
Was it Vandalism or deliberately targeted act? Someone has a misguided hatred of them.
To take a chainsaw up there is a premeditated act of gross cruelty.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm at a loss as to why someone would do that.

I was going to say how the Cuckoos were back but that seems somehow kind of petty now ... but they are back.
May the bridges you burn light your way
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Chainsaw isn't really the tool for casual vandalism, almost definitely targeted.

Conflict with angling industry?

http://www.llyn-brenig.co.uk/fishing

Osprey eggs also used to be highly valued by collectors (although cutting down with a chainsaw seems a unlikely way to get an undamaged egg down from a nest)
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

rudedog wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:30 pm Chainsaw isn't really the tool for casual vandalism,
except in Texas...?? :roll: :cry:
RIP

Post by RIP »

rudedog wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:30 pm Chainsaw isn't really the tool for casual vandalism, almost definitely targeted.
Jesus, Joseph, Mary, and the wee donkey; I'd be targetting a chainsaw at the soft parts of the perpetrator's anatomy. Obviously not a vandal. So a vested interest in an alternative 'sport'.... should be easy enough to work out.... looking forward to hearing about an early apprehension....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

whitestone wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:44 am Lying in bed this morning there was a strange rattle from the cat flap. Cath got up to check as the cat was in the bedroom. It was a bird "trying to get in". Then it occurred to me that it probably wasn't trying to get in but was picking at the cat hairs on the cat flap door as lining for a nest. Adaptable thing wildlife :grin:
Our dog was sitting on the back step the other day looking longingly into the dining room, then we watched a little sparrow come up to his tail and start picking fluff out of it for its best :o brave or what?! He was totally oblivious....