Wildlife

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: Wildlife

Post by ledburner »

Landslide wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:58 pm A good bivvy trip last night,.... , :-bd bats doing loop-the-loops,..
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTHt8prM1EQ/
Match box racer bats, well I never
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

https://www.essexwt.org.uk/wildlife/webcams/badger

Two hours before dusk is best apparently.

3 fox and two badgers on at the moment.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Was up on Ann Clifford's Highway yesterday evening and about to take a shot of Cath riding along when a rabbit ran across the track about 20m in front of her closely followed by a stoat (the rabbit, not Cath), they chased back and forth and along the track and were still in pursuit/being chased about a minute later when we passed them. Obviously the stoat was fancying rabbit for tea. Got a couple of shots.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Some wildlife advice:

When you come across a windfall tree trunk that spans your route, don't just try and move it without checking, you might get on the wrong side of these buggers. Ouch x 3

Furthermore, don't then go back to take a photo of them. Ouch x 2.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I was bivied on a section of the Further East route the weekend before last, went out to see what Cambridgeshire had to offer. Some lovely landscapes and a mid-east France feel as it turned out. As I was settling down in the bivi bag looking at the horizon with my headtorch still on a hare came towards me. It stopped and then came forwards again. I didn't move and it stopped about 3ft from the foot of my bivi bag. It stayed there for maybe 5, 8 seconds then ambled off into an open field. Incredible experience as I've never seen one so close. In August one wandered past me without a care in the Brecons, about 6-10ft away at dusk. This time it almost spooked me at first in the way it came straight towards me, they're quite big and it was oddly confident - guess it couldn't see anything because of my headtorch beam. Beautiful animals. Wondered if they don't have very good eyesight? They pick up on movement but seems they aren't bothered by me if I'm still.
Boab

Post by Boab »

jameso wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:08 pm I was bivied on a section of the Further East route the weekend before last, went out to see what Cambridgeshire had to offer. Some lovely landscapes and a mid-east France feel as it turned out. As I was settling down in the bivi bag looking at the horizon with my headtorch still on a hare came towards me. It stopped and then came forwards again. I didn't move and it stopped about 3ft from the foot of my bivi bag. It stayed there for maybe 5, 8 seconds then ambled off into an open field. Incredible experience as I've never seen one so close. In August one wandered past me without a care in the Brecons, about 6-10ft away at dusk. This time it almost spooked me at first in the way it came straight towards me, they're quite big and it was oddly confident - guess it couldn't see anything because of my headtorch beam. Beautiful animals. Wondered if they don't have very good eyesight? They pick up on movement but seems they aren't bothered by me if I'm still.
Just looked up what Further East was, wish I'd know about that before! The start is only eight miles from my house, I wouldn't even have had to bivvy the night before...
Might send them a message and see if I can get an idea of where the route went, bet I cycle on some of it regularly.

As for the hares, loads of them round these parts.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hares are indeed lovely creatures. Don't have too many here except the mountain hares higher up.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:45 pm Hares are indeed lovely creatures. Don't have too many here except the mountain hares higher up.
Suppose Ruby would be quite "fond" of any that did venture anywhere near your place :shock: ?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Suppose Ruby would be quite "fond" of any that did venture anywhere near your place :shock: ?
Probably but I've got her to the point where I can call her off a chase now. I'm just dreading the day she sees a deer. The first one Roo ever saw was through a car window and I've never seen a dog quite so excited by anything. I think her life made absolute sense to her from that moment on :wink:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:46 pm
Probably but I've got her to the point where I can call her off a chase now. I'm just dreading the day she sees a deer. The first one Roo ever saw was through a car window and I've never seen a dog quite so excited by anything. I think her life made absolute sense to her from that moment on :wink:
Bit like when our Bruce saw his first German shepherd you mean :wink: :lol: ?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:52 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:46 pm
Bit like when our Bruce saw his first German shepherd you mean :wink: :lol: ?
... like we saw the new Jimmy Bond flim. I knew it was definately what I didn't want to do...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Verena

Post by Verena »

Saw an otter this morning while on my little (5.6 degrees) swim in the river, always very exciting even if just a fleeting glimpse....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Saw an otter this morning while on my little (5.6 degrees) swim in the river, always very exciting even if just a fleeting glimpse....
Sure it was a really big rat? :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

jameso wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:08 pm I was bivied on a section of the Further East route the weekend before last, went out to see what Cambridgeshire had to offer. Some lovely landscapes and a mid-east France feel as it turned out. As I was settling down in the bivi bag looking at the horizon with my headtorch still on a hare came towards me. It stopped and then came forwards again. I didn't move and it stopped about 3ft from the foot of my bivi bag. It stayed there for maybe 5, 8 seconds then ambled off into an open field. Incredible experience as I've never seen one so close. In August one wandered past me without a care in the Brecons, about 6-10ft away at dusk. This time it almost spooked me at first in the way it came straight towards me, they're quite big and it was oddly confident - guess it couldn't see anything because of my headtorch beam. Beautiful animals. Wondered if they don't have very good eyesight? They pick up on movement but seems they aren't bothered by me if I'm still.
Definitely think it's movement that spooks them. There's a lot around us, regularly in the garden or lolloping down the lane. If you see them before they see you and you stay still then they just carry on with their natural behaviour.

See them quite a lot when I'm out walling - they just wander around and basically ignore you.

I think I've related the tale before on this thread when I came across one that had come into the house! It just sat there, a metre or so in from the door, for a few minutes then turned round and wandered off.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:47 am
Sure it was a really big rat? :wink:
Guess we'll know once the Weil's disease properly takes hold 🥴
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

IMG_20211209_141117~2.jpg
IMG_20211209_141117~2.jpg (140.77 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Wildlife experience's are a wonderful thing.
My commutes are made pleasurable when encountering wildlife ,I nearly always stop and watch them for a few minutes or until they are spooked or just wander off.
If one is lucky to interact with the wildlife it's an amazing experience.
My most recent one was during lunchtime in one of the parks eating my lunch.
I feed the birds occasionally with my bread crumbs or stale food.
There are a few rooks that always appear but they never come closer to feed than a couple of metres away. Progressively,one has got closer and closer. Then a few weeks ago it sat on the bench beside me.
It then got closer and sat on the back rest.
Amazingly,after holding food out to it ,it will take it directly from my hand!
A man walking his dog saw this and was astonished ( so was I! )
See photo , I am only at arms length away!
These moments we experience with wildlife are priceless and should be savoured.
Insanity over vanity
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
I really like Corvids, they can be real characters. There's a few round here and its fun looking out the window (when I should be working) and watching their antics. A few years ago I was skiing near Loch Tay and one came and sat beside me when I was having lunch. Obviously on the scrounge but it didn't hassle me, it just sat there looking hopeful and shuffling closer and closer until I eventually gave it a bit of sandwich.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Absolutely FBP!
You can understand they joy of interaction with the wildlife.

They really are character's.
The various parks I visit for lunch all have groups of rooks and some jackdaws. Each one has different mannerisms.
Some like to perform acrobatics while flying and gliding into the wind.
It's interesting to watch them prising out food out of containers and wrappings.
I admit I like to test them.
It's amazing how they can work out a technique to extract food !
If one spends enough time observing wildlife ,it's a pleasure to learn how they interact with each other.

There is a viaduct in Arnos park that I stop to make a coffee and watch a group of rats scratching around for food and interacting with each other. The foot path is a couple of metres away and the commuters walk past constantly and not one notices them!
Surprisingly,the dogs fail to take any notice of them also.

The corvids however,are the most interesting. :cool:
Insanity over vanity
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The curlews are back :-bd

Definitely a sign of spring. I thought I saw a couple the other morning at the far end of the field next to the house but couldn't be certain.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

whitestone wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:40 am The curlews are back :-bd

Definitely a sign of spring. I thought I saw a couple the other morning at the far end of the field next to the house but couldn't be certain.
Loads of Curlews and Lapwings an the moors above Kettlewell last weekend. Always a joy to behold!
Verena

Post by Verena »

whitestone wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:40 am The curlews are back :-bd

O nice!!

Hmm, that might just make me reconsider my BAM location, to a place where I'm pretty sure they hang out....
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I went out after dark last night to get the work week out of my head. I was just doing my irregular 1hr-10mile route and about halfway round a bloody great barn owl decided to fly along beside my for nearly 50m. I am not quick. It was about 3 seconds which felt like forever. Simply lovely.
I'm just going outside ...
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:35 pm I went out after dark last night to get the work week out of my head. I was just doing my irregular 1hr-10mile route and about halfway round a bloody great barn owl decided to fly along beside my for nearly 50m. I am not quick. It was about 3 seconds which felt like forever. Simply lovely.
That's pretty special. Moments like that, no matter how fleeting can leave such a vivid impression on the memory.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Chifchafs arrived here in Shropshire this weekend, always good to hear them back
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:35 pm I went out after dark last night to get the work week out of my head. I was just doing my irregular 1hr-10mile route and about halfway round a bloody great barn owl decided to fly along beside my for nearly 50m. I am not quick. It was about 3 seconds which felt like forever. Simply lovely.
I had this, on one of my occasional commutes (25 miles is a bit much to do regularly)
It happened about 10 miles in, and I was still grinning when I got to the office