A big sea otter
Dolphins

Not a bad tally for two days
That's good going :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Re: Wildlife

Post by fatbikephil »

fatbikerbill wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:10 am Mike, Where's that. I'd love to see a see eagle.

We're up near gleneagles at the moment (not for golf) . Loads of swuftyswallows and dippers on the river. Never seen so many dippers.

Saw a red squirrel yesterday, ran out right in front of the dog. She was as excited as me.

A few midges but fortunately not seen too many.
I've seen a golden and white tailed (see) eagle flying above upper Glen devon res, just off Glen eagles. Along above Newburgh is where the sea eagles were getting released from. Most of them high tailed it to Mull but a few hang around as the Glen Devon reservoirs are all stocked fisheries so it's easy pickings.
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:01 am
Who won ?
Not sure. Seemed to be a number of small skirmishes rather than an all out assault ... at one point I was expecting a second squirrel to appear giving it 'leave it Frank, he's not worth it' etc. :wink:
Unfortunately I don't see anywhere near as many swallows, swifts and martins these days as I used to
Number of Swallows in residence here is certainly far lower over the last 2-3 years than it ever was Peter.
When my pet rats fought they just used to flail pathetically at each other with their forepaws whilst squeaking alot :grin:

Didn't see much on my travels at the weekend but I did see three Herons flying in formation. I often see one and sometimes two flying together but never three.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

riderdown wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:44 pm Viewed from the back window, two roe stags chasing each other after a fight, both blooded around the mouth, one with a leg hanging off.
:shock:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

The night before last, hardly anything stirred. A balmy evening, so my passenger had their window down as we passed under a railway bridge at dusk. Suddenly an owl took flight from the verge on the left. it flew along side the passenger window. ( it wasn't the only other thing in a flap!- they were sure I was gonna fly in :lol: ), then passed in front of the car without a sound :-bd . I was only doing a steady 20mph.it was a barn owl.
sorry no pictures. rubbish dash cam by (Garmin).
a moment to treasure.. :-bd
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The West Cumbria Rivers Trust has been doing lots of restoration work local to us and this week, I’ve seen kingfishers twice along one beck. First time in the 17 or so years we’ve lived here. 😀
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

boxelder wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:46 pm The West Cumbria Rivers Trust has been doing lots of restoration work local to us and this week, I’ve seen kingfishers twice along one beck. First time in the 17 or so years we’ve lived here. 😀
I've seen them on the Upper Derwent when I've been out in my canoe.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I forgot to mention that I saw some kind of mustelid crossing the road while I was on Camino in Asturias last month. I think that it was a polecat, but at the larger end of the scale and an unusual blonde colour. It walked down a path over the road from me, stopped and checked for traffic and then crossed and darted down the track that I was about to take. I got a good view of it, but unfortunately it didn't hang around long enough for me get my phone out and take a pic.
Bilbo Baggins.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Tarantulas aplenty on the road to Antelope Wells...... and then small turtles on the way back to Hachita.
Plus lots of white tailed eagles and other Eagle type things. Needless to say I didn't lie down just in case I got mistaken for carrion.

Plus elk, moose (and tiny calf), deer, skunk, marmot, chipmunks and a load of other animals I didn't recognise.

No lynx, cougar or bears though, which is maybe a good thing
Boab

Post by Boab »

slarge wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:01 pm Tarantulas aplenty on the road to Antelope Wells......
Guess I'm never doing the Tour Divide! 😱
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

slarge wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:01 pm Plus lots of white tailed eagles and other Eagle type things. Needless to say I didn't lie down just in case I got mistaken for carrion.
Thanks Mr Large. You've just helped me decide where to makw my next big mountain bike bivy adventure... Is the bit about lying down just a joke though as I'm assuming they couldn't be that silly to go for a human*

Anyway (sorry for the little BBC outburst) so it seems the east coast near Norwich might have some resident and apparently there's about 150 pairs in the UK and possible (very tiny possibilty I suppose) to be spotted anywhere. According to the ESPB anyway. Tarantulas :o you can keep them to yourself mate (maybe I've been afflicted by the Attenborough-effect).

*Though if we introduce the telly to em and get em to binge on BBC news then they'd know I was one of them 'muslims' and they'd know to steer clear of my sort :grin: - thanks you BBC bar stewards...
redefined_cycles

The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I've been working near Reading this year, and I've never seen as many Red Kites as I have around here. It's a little disconcerting when you stop for a rest and they start circling overhead, and I've heard from a few locals that they soon start to gather when people are sunbathing in their back gardens.
Bilbo Baggins.
redefined_cycles

The Cumbrian wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:00 pm

I've been working near Reading this year, and I've never seen as many Red Kites as I have around here. It's a little disconcerting when you stop for a rest and they start circling overhead, and I've heard from a few locals that they soon start to gather when people are sunbathing in their back gardens.
Aha. Yes. Never knew that Cumbrian sir. In which case I'll not hang about too much if they're overhead :smile:
slarge

Post by slarge »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:46 am
slarge wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:01 pm Plus lots of white tailed eagles and other Eagle type things. Needless to say I didn't lie down just in case I got mistaken for carrion.
Thanks Mr Large. You've just helped me decide where to makw my next big mountain bike bivy adventure... Is the bit about lying down just a joke though as I'm assuming they couldn't be that silly to go for a human*

Anyway (sorry for the little BBC outburst) so it seems the east coast near Norwich might have some resident and apparently there's about 150 pairs in the UK and possible (very tiny possibilty I suppose) to be spotted anywhere. According to the ESPB anyway. Tarantulas :o you can keep them to yourself mate (maybe I've been afflicted by the Attenborough-effect).

*Though if we introduce the telly to em and get em to binge on BBC news then they'd know I was one of them 'muslims' and they'd know to steer clear of my sort :grin: - thanks you BBC bar stewards...
Yes Shaf, almost a joke. You might know that I'm not that tall, and not exactly overweight - I might be mistaken by a big bird of prey for food. The last thing I want is to wake up to find something trying to rip an arm off.....
Nor sure if eagles recognise different religions - they might see your beard as nesting material though 😉
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In which case I'll not hang about too much if they're overhead
I wouldn't worry too much Shaf.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Biggest Horse Fly I've ever seen sat on the van this morning.

jobro

Post by jobro »

I think thats Tabanus sudeticus . The Giant Dark Horsefly. Bet that bugger would hurt!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bet that bugger would hurt!!
I kept my fingers well out of the way :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I saw a Snipe on my weekend ride, that was nice.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Lesser Spotted Woodies have begun to make an appearance on the all you can eat nut buffet - usually get plenty of Greater Spotted but the Lesser is a previously rare sighting in these parts. :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Evening walk last night, swifts, house martins, great tits but a bit too early for owls. Still, lovely evening to be out
Attachments
D79E64CB-B710-47EB-B4F3-A988B939FD3D.jpeg
D79E64CB-B710-47EB-B4F3-A988B939FD3D.jpeg (152.77 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
redefined_cycles

Saw these ground nesting beauties (grouse). Stoppage time 'zero'.

Pretty certain I witnessed at least one or two take their first flight. Looked chuffed with herself did one of em too.

Then it happened whilst I was trying to not get lost and keep following the trail that ended up with a wire fence that looked electric!

Lots of predator birds (I forgrt the name) up ahead. This time they didn't run off and didn't look like (what I thought was) the buzzards I'm used to seeing. At least 3 or 5 all making lots of noise. Either at me or themselves complaining about 'the human'.

Looked it up in the Gian App and got told thwy were common buzzards. Looked grey to me personally...

Most definitely wasn't the picture contained on the app and didn't look that big either. Seemed serious though at my invasion... Maybe kites but though the colour matched, they weren't as wide or elegant...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Last night's bivvy ride with Trep was great for wildlife.
A tawny owl sat in the branches right above the trail, a buzzard, a peregrine, hares, a stoat, an urban kingfisher, and probably the highlight, a nightjar, swooping through the dusk.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well that was entertaining.

Mrs Perrin out. I was in the parlour doing something. Heard some odd noises near the back door, which was open for ventilation reasons. Went out into the hall to get to the back door and was confronted with a robin sitting pleased as punch on the stairs. As I gently approached he flew up onto the next flight of stairs towards the bathroom. I went and grabbed some seeds to coax him down then went back up the stairs to look for him. By this time he'd disappeared further up towards the bedrooms. Ah. Could be anywhere. Eventually found him in my daughter's old room. He was hopping around quite happily and flying to various perches, sitting on chair backs etc. Not interested in the seeds. Tried several times to fly through the window pane. I managed to open the window top-light and put a blanket over the main part of it. He continued to explore the room without rushing, then finally flew onto the window frame, then outside.

Sadly forgot to take any photos. Mrs Perrin returns and with pursed lips points to the numerous purple splodges everywhere which are blackberry-stained robin poo. Oh dear.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I was about to go out and thought, our cat in the neighbour front garden, Had got something. On closer inspection a it appear to be a sparrow hawk taking high tea on the lawn., Pidgeon pie
Pictures not very good. I didn't want get too close to disturb it. It was also being heckled by magpies.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..