Wildlife

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: Wildlife

Post by Bearlegged »

Which camera do I want (budget, less than £100 but needs to be small enough for the framebag :smile: )
I suspect this is probably moon-on-a-stick territory. Ideally, you want fast start up from switched off (£££), excellent optical zoom (£££, and tends to involve a larger lens assembly), high resolution (bigger sensor, £££).
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

psling wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:30 pm That'll be a lesser spotted wotsit Shaf [Latin name: d'youthinkesaurus] :cool:
:grin:
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:42 pm
Which camera do I want (budget, less than £100 but needs to be small enough for the framebag :smile: )
I suspect this is probably moon-on-a-stick territory. Ideally, you want fast start up from switched off (£££), excellent optical zoom (£££, and tends to involve a larger lens assembly), high resolution (bigger sensor, £££).
Yeah... you're probably right. Shall have to stick to the Smasung phone and try and get better at tip toeing and being discreet...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A lovely day here in northern England, even ont' darker side o t'Pennines. So I went for a nice steady road ride and had one wildlife incident: a cock pheasant (stupid creatures, the only things on the planet with lower intelligence are their predators) that took off in front of me on a descent and proceeded to sit (fly?) about a metre in front of my face for a few seconds!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just watched the first swallows of the year return ... always a good day :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Over the last 3 days... a Buzzard (i think) that rode across the road... What must've been a finch with zebra looking colours, but I bet its called summat else. Then last night on the drive back after work, somewhere along the south-west, what looked to be an owl swooping across the main road in the dead of night.

Didn't picture any of them but I did see lots of still trees :-bd ... They're always happy to pose for a pic.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Last night we witnessed a Basking shark breaking surface 5 metres from us in Brixham harbour
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:06 am Last night we witnessed a Basking shark breaking surface 5 metres from us in Brixham harbour
That is very cool :-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Picked up a fresh pheasant roadkill for dinner. Had a few double-takes riding through town with it dangling off the bars.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:52 am I've just watched the first swallows of the year return ... always a good day :-bd
Snap! Ours arrived Tuesday evening. Hope they brought coats with them, it was minus 3 here this morning.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Verena

Post by Verena »

benp1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:27 am
Dave Barter wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:06 am Last night we witnessed a Basking shark breaking surface 5 metres from us in Brixham harbour
That is very cool :-bd
Very cool. Have never seen one.
Verena

Post by Verena »

I have lots of tadpoles in my mini garden pond. Seems a bit insignificant to mention, compared to a basking shark.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

First curlew of the year up on the moors today.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:40 pm Picked up a fresh pheasant roadkill for dinner. Had a few double-takes riding through town with it dangling off the bars.
I'm not sure that counts as wildlife.
slarge

Post by slarge »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:03 am Over the last 3 days... a Buzzard (i think) that rode across the road...
Be interested in the pics of that Shaf - a bird on a bicycle!

(How did no one else pick that one up?)
redefined_cycles

slarge wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:09 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:03 am Over the last 3 days... a Buzzard (i think) that rode across the road...
Be interested in the pics of that Shaf - a bird on a bicycle!

(How did no one else pick that one up?)
Lol... Yeah, come to think of it, it flew across the path and must've been eyeing summat in the yard across the road :smile:
HUX

Post by HUX »

I haven't seen it yet but I've got a Tawny owl in my owl box. I can hear it every now and again during the day. :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Glad it's in a box Hux and not down the chimney like the one I had last year :wink:
Dean

Post by Dean »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:10 pm Glad it's in a box Hux and not down the chimney like the one I had last year :wink:
Was it still alive or was it dead like the mallard I had to fetch out with a hazmat suit and a clothes peg on my nose?
redefined_cycles

HUX wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:17 pm I haven't seen it yet but I've got a Tawny owl in my owl box. I can hear it every now and again during the day. :grin:
Hux... how long did you wait for that? How'd I put one up and any specific orientation I need to have it facing pls :smile:
redefined_cycles

Today I rode through the woods and placed myself in a banking that Rambo 1st Blood would have been proud of. Was determined to get a pic of some nice wildlife. The birds were tweetTwooing all over the place but none wanted to come out for a pose. So i took a pic of Egen and moved on after having sat patiently for some time.

In the end and after/before having taken some epic pics of the mountains I settled for this humble bumblebee... hornet or was it wasp. Maybe a honeybee... I dunno.. At least it didn't get shy and run off...

Here's the hills that didn't keep moving and I managed to spot em from various angles. Shirley there's loadsa wildlife in there them hills... Even spotted some days old lambs too earlier.

After finishing the ride and being told my car wasn't ready I rode home. Enroute near to mine I saw these beauties...
Nicely camo'd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Quite a good haul today.

Three buzzards while I was walling over at my brother's. Not sure why three, maybe one's a juvenile from last year and still hanging around.

On the way home I saw a couple of hares, one was just a small leverette. Then a barn owl flew up by the road.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I see groups of between 3 and 5 buzzards round here regularly, have never found out if it’s last years with parents.

Envious of your hares, a rarity round here these days. And your barn owl.

Highlight here is gold crest visiting feeders last few days. Saw first swallows (Shropshire) 10 days ago, just the three and just seen them the once. Earlier than usual. Always a special day.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Was it still alive or was it dead
She was very much alive. It's not unusual to hear them calling here but this one seemed very loud (when I was sat indoors). Climbed on the roof the following morning to find her happily sat on a ledge down the chimney. Thought I'd give her a few hours (they often find their own way out) before offering her a helping hand with a brush. By evening she'd gone, so I briskly fitted a cowl :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll just leave this here for a while.