Gloves

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TimBB

Gloves

Post by TimBB »

What gloves to you wear to keep fingers warm and toasty?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Gloves

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I always find warm and toasty fairly easy but dry, warm and toasty is very different. I've found pogies are the best solution in most instances when it's cold and wet.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Pogies
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I vary the gloves I'm wearing according to the forecast/conditions but still end up with cold hands sometimes.

My normal winter gloves are these

http://www.ride100percent.com/news/the- ... -the-year/

They wont keep my hands dry but they are warm down to about 5 deg. If it's really wet and windy I still get cold hands in these so I'll wear some Extremities Tough Bags over the top for long rides (4 hours +) but for shorter rides I'll just put up with the colder hands. The Tough Bags are also mitts so I don't tend to wear them on technical rides. I also have some Sealskins waterproof gloves which are a bit warmer than the 100% and do keep my hands pretty dry but they are a bit sweaty if it's warmer or I'm working hard on the ride.

With the recent snow I dug out my winter hillwalking gloves ready to wear in the really cold but dry conditions. Unfortunately these were in the loft and by the time I remembered where they were the snow was melting and it was cold and damp again.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Sealskinz Highlanders are brilliant especially when combined with Gore Extremities but it is a pricey combo.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sealskinz Highlanders are brilliant
Dave, do they have the - never get your hand back in if damp issue, I've experienced with other Sealskin gloves?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

I've got a pair of these Gore Goretex ones - https://www.evanscycles.com/gore-bike-w ... s-00121280 that I've had for years, keep we warm and dry in the winter.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Sealskinz Highlanders are brilliant
Dave, do they have the - never get your hand back in if damp issue, I've experienced with other Sealskin gloves?
No, I bought them on the back of a STW review and asked the very same question. So far they have been excellent.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
techno

Post by techno »

sean_iow wrote:I vary the gloves I'm wearing according to the forecast/conditions but still end up with cold hands sometimes.

My normal winter gloves are these

http://www.ride100percent.com/news/the- ... -the-year/

They wont keep my hands dry but they are warm down to about 5 deg. If it's really wet and windy I still get cold hands in these so I'll wear some Extremities Tough Bags over the top for long rides (4 hours +) but for shorter rides I'll just put up with the colder hands. The Tough Bags are also mitts so I don't tend to wear them on technical rides.
2nd vote for the 100% brisker. Was tipped off by my brother who has used them quite a bit. I've found them to be warm enough at a similar temp to Sean.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Pogies for me too. I have the basic HotPogs and I've never needed to wear anything other than my summer gloves (even while snow biking on my fat bike). They really are very good if you can get past the weird looks.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

A big thing that never seems to be mentioned - a backpack will give you cold hands.
You probably don't notice or think about it. But the shoulder starps will reduce the blood flow to the arms.
If you ride in extreme cold you will notice it straight away. Even a light 8 litre daybag. Also a heavy pack.

Since I realized this, I now try to keep my shoulder straps looser. Now my hands are too warm and I have to stuff snow into my gloves.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I seem to feel the cold in my hands a lot more than I used to and cold wet hands when riding is something that makes me really grumpy, so I'm a bit of a glove collector these days. 100% brisker is a cracking glove but it's not one I find enough for 'proper' cold.

I'd not considered them for years because of the price but I picked up a couple of pairs of Gore winter gloves cheap a few years ago and they are absolutely fantastic. One for cold and wet, the other for cold and dry.

The cold and wet ones are the same as or very similar to the ones above. Goretex liner in there somewhere. Nice example- I had a day's riding round the Afan trails with some friends last winter on a properly type 2 weather day and my hands were just about the last bit of me to eventually wet out (thanks to water soaking down the sleeves of my base layer, I was acutely aware of the progress of the water).

The cold and dry ones were very similar to these- https://www.evanscycles.com/gore-bike-w ... s-EV246598
The models have changed a bit but I would guess the heavier windstopper ones would be equivalent. Warm and breathable, they don't get the soaked with sweat feeling that a lot of winter gloves get after some effort. Not good in the rain though as they we out and hold cold water against your hands. I'll take this trade off for how breathable they are though. Only real complaint is the annoying gore gel pads but they seem to be minimising those on the new ones.

Neither of them suffer from turning inside out. The windstopper ones are finally starting to wear out after a lot of use- I am happy enough with them that if I can't get them on sale I'm prepared to pay full (exorbitant) price!
TimBB

Post by TimBB »

That's great. Many thanks for your replies.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Rasta wrote:... I have to stuff snow into my gloves.
Wouldn't it be easier to carry the snow in your backpack?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Crikey, how much einter gloves when its between 2 and 7 degrees. Summer gloves above that.

When its been the recent minus spells I've used the Crikey, how much Deep winter (not same as above) and I've been cosy. Also used thr Crikey, how much Deeps on a 500km ride during the coldest days towards the end of last year (when there was ice and snow all over and temps were arpund 0 again). Hands stayed nice and there was no over heating/sweating issues.

On the 2016 final ride (500km) of the year when I went through the Peaks. I used my North Face gauntlets. They kept my fingers cosy in temps that were touching 0 but the prob was when I took them off. Fully waterproof meant they didnt breath well. What a stonk they made after 2 days of riding 10 hours per day!!!

Before that I tried a few different sets of SealsSkinz: all rubbish. Before/around that time I also had some Madison winter gloves with Porelle liner and they were pretty decent but I probably only used to around 3 or 4 degrees...

If you're on a tight budget then just go for some ski gloves (or Pogies if you must as everyone seems to rave about them) that have some element of breathability...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a variety of Black Diamond ice/winter climbing gloves that were on sale in one of the outdoor shops a few years ago. They are a bit looser fit than cycling gloves so you don't get the same awkward pushing damp fingers past the liner struggle to the same extent that you get with gloves like SealSkinz.

For me the worst conditions are cool and damp rather than cold and dry. The above winter gloves are then too warm and standard cycling gloves, even the "winter" ones, are too cold.

Cold hands can be a symptom of other problems - the rucksack restricting blood flow being an example - so extra layers on the arms, etc.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
haydenw

Post by haydenw »

For me a pair of liner gloves does the trick in all but the coldest of weather. Paired up with my fingerless mits they do a good job of keeping my hands warm and when wet are quick to dry.

When really cold, those under a pair of full finger "spring / autumn" gloves i find as good as my full on winter gloves plus they're not too bulky (for changing gears etc).

When out for a night or two i'll take two pairs so i'll have a dry pair off the bike (and will also use them as a "oven mit" when cooking).

Mine are an older pair of these - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-liner-g ... 81306.html
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Aldi winter cycling gloves work for me. 5 finger ones down to about -2, lobster ones if it's colder than that or a few degrees warmer and wet. If it's really cold, I'll put a pair of thin liners inside, and if it's ridiculously wet I'll put some disposable garage gloves underneath....
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I have been trying to find the perfect glove combinations for ages. Layering seems to be the answer

I start with a pair of lightweight work gloves ( Honeywell workeasy ) they are light ( 26g), thin, breathable, and @ £1.50 a pair it doesn't matter if they get trashed mending the bike.

On top i use a pair of hertzl finger jackets. Just a thin lobster style overglove.

If its propper cold / wet i put extremities tuffbags on top.

If its mild but wet the tuffbags just go on top of the work

Can i echo the comment about any glove with a loose liner. Don't buy any, full stop ! Useless when your hands are wet and cold. You might get them off but you will never get them on again.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I think I must have the worlds warmest hands!

I never wear gloves if not absolutely necessary and can usually get away without down to about zero degrees.

Between that and -5°c I wear a pair of Sealskinz XC skiing gloves.

Between -5 and -20°c I wear a pair of Sealskinz winter MTB gloves.

Interestingly, I did an über cold ride with some 45nrth 'Cobrafist' pogies last week and managed without any gloves down to around -20°c.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Ive been using mountain equipment guide gloves bought them a few hrs back for belaying during winter climbs , hands are toasty warm ,they are not to thick so you have dexterity ,but they are only weather proof they will take a down poor for about a HR before you can slight wetness
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Years ago I got back into motorcycling because it was taking one and a half hours to get to work, and same coming home...
I bought a Triumph Bonneville 750, which came to be known as the self destruct engine because of its orrendous vibration... and that led to white fingers (Reynaud’s disease)... nearly everything vibrated and fell apart, including the cylinder head gaskets (it let me down once on a day’s climbing trip to the Lakes - I slept under a hedge... in the rain (mate got another mate to motorcycle up and take him home...)

Bear with me, I’ve had no wine yet...

So on the bike (Sealskinz gloves...they’re alright) when it’s very cold like last week, I just ride relaxing and gripping the handlebars... and after about an hour my hands start coming to life... :lol: