Which Apidura Packs?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

grmtylr

Which Apidura Packs?

Post by grmtylr »

I'm planning on getting some Apidura packs but currently undecided between the Expedition or Backcountry ranges.

Is there much difference between the two ranges apart from the Expedition packs being waterproof?
Rasta

Re: Which Apidura Packs?

Post by Rasta »

I have a non-waterproof Apidura frame bag. It has a water proof zip and material. A couple of years ago they were advertised as almost waterproof but 'recommended to use a waterproof bag in extreme wet weather'.
Due to the top of the bag, under the frame, being flat, it leaks like a sieve in just a light sprinkle.

A very handy bag but a complete rip-off for what it is and what it costs to make. The extra money they charge for seam sealing is a joke. But they are very popular so I will probably get shot down.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Mine is 2 years old. The velcro staps are very good but the buckled straps are rubbish. They don't tighten up properly and stick out.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

In the UK climate, Ortlieb ones.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

A set of Ortlieb bike packing bags weigh more than the Ortlieb 'light' panniers and a lightweight tubus rack. And costs silly £s.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Apidura Expedition 14l seat pack €142, Ortlieb €119
Apidura Expedition 14l bar bag €117.50 Ortlieb €99
Re panniers and rack weight, not really a comparison as this is a different system. Bar roll and saddle bag are also heavier than a bin bag slung over your shoulder but rather more stable off road.
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

I think like a lot of folk I saw Apidura bags being used on some of the bikepacking films I watched. 'if it's good enough for them....' thinking.

Good marketing I suppose.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Yeh, they've got more "ambassadors" than the United Nations. IMHO they're the R@pha of bags, more style than substance.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Those prices are nuts! Why are people paying that? @confused.com

A few years ago, someone was hand stitching made-to-measure bags in Colorado or California. A 3 month wait. Justifies the price.

Apidura and the rest are made in China for less than €5 a bag. Taking the pee pee.
Last edited by Rasta on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ballibeg wrote:I think like a lot of folk I saw Apidura bags being used on some of the bikepacking films I watched. 'if it's good enough for them....' thinking.

Good marketing I suppose.

I believe they do have some paying customers now. Their initial launch/free give-aways certainly helped with their market exposure/penetration.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

A few years ago, someone was hand stitching made-to-measure bags in Colorado or California
Or Brecon.
Best pieces of luggage I have are Wildcat frame bag and seat harness but if you want an all in one bar roll with easily attached accessory bag, then IMO, the Ortlieb is worth the weight penalty for durability and legendary waterproofness.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Picture removed.
Last edited by Rasta on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Removed. Alcoholic content.
Last edited by Rasta on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

then IMO, the Ortlieb is worth the weight penalty for durability and legendary waterproofness.
I'll say that I generally dislike them. I haven't tried the latest smaller versions but the first incarnation is simply way too big ... perhaps a case of a company who make panniers misunderstanding and simply making a pannier in a different shape :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I have the full set of the 'normal' Apidura bags. Although I bought early, before the price increase. I also have bags from various other brands. Bashing Apidura for not being waterproof is poor form - most similar bags are similarly not waterproof.

I would recommend, based on what the various I own and have used:
- Lomo saddle pack. Super cheap and totally waterproof. Really rather good! (but only just switched from Apidura, which I was happy with the lack of tail wag but not waterproof)
- Alpkit frame bag, the grey waterproof type, not the normal one. Cheapish, not super cheap, and waterproof. The normal Alpkit and Apidura ones trended to wet out
- Apidura bar bag. I like the straps, which don't slip. (And required to go with my fav - a waterproof Apidura bar bag accessory pocket. Waterproof; super handy for storing your bits that you need to grab on the hoof. Alarmingly expensive tho)
- Alpkit bar bag, the smaller grey waterproof type with the yellow front straps. Good for when you want a smaller bag; cheap; waterproof. But the straps tend to slip
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bashing Apidura for not being waterproof is poor form - most similar bags are similarly not waterproof.
Very true, It's not unusual (although not often here) to hear people moaning about bag x not being waterproof but they haven't realised that a non waterproof bag isn't unusual ... just peoples expectations / assumptions I suppose.

EDIT: I will just say, I'm yet to find any luggage that I'd consider 'bad'. There are variations and certain aspects of some may not suit the individual but in 95% of cases, it's all fit for purpose.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I am new on this forum.
If negative reviews or opinions, based on a lot of personal experience is not appreciated on here, then please tell me.

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If negative reviews or opinions, based on a lot of personal experience is not appreciated on here, then please tell me.
Not at all. Any particular thread can be full of contrary opinon, what makes it good, is that the overwhelming majority is based on actual experience* ... please carry on as you were.

*quite different from many places on the net.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I think this would be a poorer place if people felt unable to offer an honest opinion when asked. If, despite claims that Apidura still make that their products are made from waterproof materials and use waterproof zips, you find a puddle in the bottom of yours after a wet ride, there's obviously something amiss. As for having the expectation/assumption that a bag advertised as using
Dimension-Polyant VX21 is the main body fabric of all of our packs. This 4-layer laminated fabric offers a combination of superior waterproofness, light-weight, ultra-high abrasion and tear resistance, and low stretch.
Then I think I'd be a bit miffed if it leaked in.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I've used the Backcountry range of their bags for a couple of nights. Yeah they do what bags do but can't comment on what there're like in poor weather though...
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Pistonbroke. Well put.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I'm a bit confused ,isn't vx21 what alpkit use and they advise using a dry bag inside the pack as it's weather proof but not fully waterproof,pistonbroke I agree with the ortlieb my handlebar pack has never once leaked and it feels lighter than my alpkit possum( maybe wrong on the weight not using any scales just guesstimate)
EDIT to be fair the non podsac seat pack Offa planet X has never leaked through all my winter commutes but it does weigh as much as a small planet
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Removed.

Like I said, I am new here.
Last edited by Rasta on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

BBnorm

The reason I asked is because

"Bashing Apidura for not being waterproof is poor form"

This is not a disagreement of my opinion. "poor form" is a knock at my personality. A low blow for not liking someone's view.
I'm fairly sure what Jamiep said wasn't a dig at you personally ... it's not like he called you a tw@t or anything :wink:
And for Admin BBnorm to repeat it, agree, then add "(although not often here) to hear people moaning"

Well, that is really "poor form" and a good way to shut me up. You are admin aren't you?
Sorry, I was making a broader comment about some peoples surprise when they discover some / many items of luggage aren't waterproof. It certainly wasn't directed towards you but merely a follow on from Jamiep's post and a general observation. When I said, "although not often here" that wasn't a snide remark meant to indicate, "expect for Rasta" it was simply the truth and written without any thought towards your post. Sorry for any offence, none meant ... and yes I am.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm none the wiser about luggage but this thread has certainly warned me off buying €3 bottles of plonk. :lol: