Bugger off?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Bugger off?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not a request, more a question... if you were able to do the aforementioned for a few weeks, pack your bike and ride straight from your door, where would you go? Would you even bother to formulate any plan or simply set off and see where the wind took you?
May the bridges you burn light your way
AlasdairMc

Re: Bugger off?

Post by AlasdairMc »

If I had a few weeks and I had to ride from my door, I’d keep going South until I hit the Med. Probably gravel bike, take some semi-interesting trails, and I’d be in Dover within a week. Maybe two weeks through France, then tea and medals in Nice. If time permitted though, I’d jump on a ferry to Corsica as it’s lovely over there.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

What time of year?
Spring go south France Spain?
Late spring summer north huge loop round Scotland.
Not in spec but if you can get as far south quickly (plane or train) you can follow spring back north.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In the UK it would be Scotland, outside the UK probably Scandinavia or Alaska. I appreciate that isn't "riding from your door" but maybe initial use of public transport is allowed :wink:

Probably no detailed plan but a general, start "here", try and get "there" maybe a few things to see/aim for but they wouldn't be "have to" more "nice to" destinations.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

From my house, assuming you don't mean right now in to a snow drift...

Be tempted to take the CX, NCN 1 to Newcastle, Ferry to Amsterdam, Euro Velo12 to Belgium, drink Belgian beer while deciding what to do
ton

Post by ton »

northern france, into Germany, then south into the alps and back via central massif, return via French coast.

proper pottering.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

It would certainly be from the door, but the first leg would be as far as a railway station, then south to a ferry port.
Probably down through France, Spain, maybe Portugal, Spain again then France again eastwards to Italy.
I'd need a few weeks to do this - is there any time limit? Or is it just travel until you've had enough?
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

If it was in the uk sleeper up to Scotland, I have unfinished business. I’d like to go back to Croatia with a bike for a few weeks. Or Spain..... so many places and so little time.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
chris n

Post by chris n »

I'd head west across the bridge to Wales, then meander about heading vaguely northwards until I'd run out of castles to look at. :-bd
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Wales for me, and Yes, straight from my door, rough plan but nothing set in stone :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cycle to Oban. Catch a ferry. Explore an island. Catch a ferry. Explore an island. Catch a ferry.......
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

AlasdairMc wrote:If I had a few weeks and I had to ride from my door, I’d keep going South until I hit the Med. Probably gravel bike, take some semi-interesting trails, and I’d be in Dover within a week. Maybe two weeks through France, then tea and medals in Nice. If time permitted though, I’d jump on a ferry to Corsica as it’s lovely over there.
Right now; this (perhaps utilizing a train to get past the cold/wet/dull parts!

If it was May or June, head north (probably on a train again...) and do this:
ScotRoutes wrote:Cycle to Oban. Catch a ferry. Explore an island. Catch a ferry. Explore an island. Catch a ferry.......
With more time, a back-road meander to Istanbul, southern route out, northern back, to stay in the Goldilocks weather.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'd go south, through the Mont Blanc tunnel, straight down through Italy to the coast, along the bottom of France, into Spain and then down through Portugal.

Gravel bike, traveling slow and soaking it all in.

Currently living the gastro bug dream so the idea of any riding, anywhere (or even getting up without an end erupting) is not only very appealing but also seems a long way off.....
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I have family at either end of the south downs way so I'd head down to the south coast on the NCN, do the SDW, drop down to Southampton and then get a ferry over to spain and do the Camino.
psling

Post by psling »

On the occasions I have ridden from the door it has only ever been for up to a week and I always seem to get drawn to the West, into the Black Mountains, Brecon Beacons and beyond. On only a couple of occasions have I ever ventured East via the Severn Bridge or Gloucester.
Given more time to play with I've always fancied circumnavigating Wales or, on a larger scale, circumnavigating Great Britain. One day.
Otherwise I would head down to the South Coast, hop on a ferry to France and keep going where the wind takes me (or, more likely, into the headwind!).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

From home I would probably head South West to Plymouth and then North over Dartmoor/Exmoor to the North Devon coast. Then over the bridge into Wales and have a nose about South to North.

It's a nice idea, but to be honest, I am not 100% convinced I would ever feel up to taking something so big on in one go. It's way more than I have ever taken on before.

The biggest cycling trip I have ever done to date was my first. Two weeks pottering around SW Iceland in 2010. WRT is the biggest thing I do most years.

Si
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Short roll to Portsmouth, ferry to Bilbao - ride south towards Barcelona, or north to Caen and a ferry back to pompey.

When we going? :-bd
@philg1971 Instagram
Loki

Post by Loki »

Hmmm, head across to Minehead, offroad down to Plymouth, then ferry to Roscoff and head down the coast to Santander than home again on the ferry, train or cycle back the last part depending on time/energy levels
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had really meant if you confined yourself to the UK (or other home country) but interesting answers all the same.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Loki

Post by Loki »

In that case, I would head off from base camp here in Somerset and make my way up to Bangor and back again, that or the North coast of Scotland
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Mine to Dover then:

The Eiger Sanction!

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/ML01/
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I’d be tempted to ride over to the east coast (as i don’t tend to ride out that way often) and then follow it up as far as Ifelt like it. I’ve never been up to the far NE of Scotland and quite like the idea of cycling up there from home.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

If I had a few weeks and I had to ride from my door, I’d keep going South until I hit the Med
That would take care of the first 40 minutes :grin:

I mentioned on the Via De La Plata thread, I've been looking at a grand loop of Spain which would entail following my C2C route as far as Burgos, so about 800km then pick up the Camino de Santiago or Camino del Norte west to Santiago de Compostella, turn south down the Via de la Plata to Seville, across to Valencia on the Ruta Don Quixote and back from Valencia on the Burrally route. You wouldn't get much change out of 4000km so similar distance to the Tour Divide but minus the gun toting,4x4 driving, washboard creating Yanks. God knows how much climbing this would entail.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'd probably do the GB coastline - pick it up at Formby or somewhere like that.. LOADS of fish & chips. :grin:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

But which way round?