Bugger off?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

Re: Bugger off?

Post by Sarah »

Nice to read as stuck in bed last few days with another chest infection. Now, I would head south, searching for some sun and warmth. This summer I am planning Oban and island hopping. Got 6 weeks.....
Sarah
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Go with the Jones from my door, carry a bit more stuff for the luxuries of easy living over 4 weeks but aim to dump kit in places for day rides or overnighters. I'd then wander round Scotland bagging various trails I've been meaning to and drinking nice beer. Plenty of ferries and Island hopping too as its a great way to break up trips and Calmac full Scottish Breakfasts / Steak pie and chips are things of great beauty to be contemplated at leisure, whilst ambling across the various bits of sea between the mainland and the various islands
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

by Laurensdad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:34 pm

Short roll to Portsmouth, ferry to Bilbao - ride south towards Barcelona, or north to Caen and a ferry back to pompey.
Barcelona is East of Bilbao :???:
Sounds like you want to ride the route of the Spanish C2C. My preference is Barcelona to Bilbao as the weather is better on the med side so you're likely not to set off wet. Still possible to get the ferry home which avoids finding bike packaging at the airport.
slarge

Post by slarge »

The coast of Britain, clockwise.

Or over to France for a wartime cemetery and battlefield tour.

I would need to meet up with the OH occassionally and see the dogs....so maybe a coastal tour would be best.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Straight up to Scotland and ferry to Iceland via Shetland and Faroes.
Quick loop around the ring road back on the ferry to Denmark-Germany-Belgium-home.
That's probably more than a few weeks though
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Can't do that anymore... no more Lerwick to Torshavn ferry. Shame
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Go home. Explore Ireland. Plenty I haven't seen. Do it in the summer. Link up a few food festivals. Visit friends and family.
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

Superb thread.

Just yesterday I was pondering getting a train down to Lands End, then riding a largely off road route to John O'Groats. And riding it in a leisurely manner, visiting places you wanted to go on the way.

So I'd include a few days in rhe Lake District.

By the time I got to Scotland I'd be zig zagging all over the shop. There are plenty of NCN routes up there that I've wanted to do for a while (the northern section Sustrans route 7 would definitely feature). But I'd keep it flexible and plan the route as I went. I'd probably carry on riding for a while once I got to the top – there's so much up there that I want to explore.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

What about canals?
Pick up the nearest canal with a tow path heading east(?) and ride until it connects to another see how far the network will take you.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

HT 550 I reckon followed by Rob Roy Way and then explore the Cairngorms.
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Interesting how many people heading to the area I live.... I'm currently have coffee in Oban.

I'll jump a train south, continue on Eurostar the cycle south, France, Spain, Morocco, Africa. No biggie!!!
Matt

Post by Matt »

Well there’s always a welcome, a bed and shower at ours if you make it this deep into civilisation.

As for me I’d be house > South Downs > Dover > Then South through France to Italy or Spain

Or

House > Harwich > North through NL > Over the Afsluitdijk > The follow some of the big euro rivers south and into Germany and maybe down the Moselle and back up through France

If staying in the UK though I’d love to tick off Jogle
Last edited by Matt on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

Within the UK? I'd probably head west from the front door, straight into the Black Mountains, then maybe carry onto the Pembrokeshire coast, then back North to the Cambrians.
I think given the time of year and recent weather, its not surprising so many would choose to head south for a ferry or similar. I'd do the same if I had weeks to play with.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ballibeg wrote:Interesting how many people heading to the area I live.... I'm currently have coffee in Oban.
It's the logistics. I can reach anywhere on the mainland in a matter of a few hours but a decent island trip takes (and deserves) time. I'm hoping the revised work rota I've come up with this year will afford me the opportunity. Given the relatively meagre cycling distances on the islands, and the number of beaches, I reckon the fatbike might be in play throughout the year rather than being relegated to a back corner of the garage until next winter.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I am usually off for a few weeks in the summer, so....
I'd ride up to the west coast of Scotland and do some island hoping, I do love it on the west coast. However my time will probably be over by time I'd get to Oban if I was on the fat bike :lol:

In the ideal world I'd love to catch a ferry from the east coast to Norway and cycle up that way but theres no bloody ferry from the UK to Norway, so there's nor way of that happening :roll:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm sure I've seen a guy at the moment riding around the coast of the UK somewhere, I saw a pic.of his gpx so far just can't remember where. Looked like great idea.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Before the Scottish midges come out
Liverpool, ferry to Isle of Man.
Loop the Island
Ferry to Belfast
A loop around the city
Ferry to Scotland
Head north through the Galloway forests
Island hop up the West coast to the outer Hebridies for miles of Fat Bike beach riding
South through Skye
Overland to Fort William
South to Glasgow on the West Highland way
Train home
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

I’ve got 4days off after Easter, and no plans, but don’t want to waste them, so thinking of heading up to Scotland.
Really fancy the middle bit of the HT550, starting at Ft Augustus.

My heads in a bad place at the minute, so a few days out in the wilds will either kill it, or cure it. :oops:

Hmm, just seen the Cairngorm route too...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You know where to find me Nick.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I had really meant if you confined yourself to the UK (or other home country) but interesting answers all the same.
i would cycle from my door step towards the lake district via the yorkshire dales,visit friends and various bike shops along the way,take interesting pictures,pass the time of day with folk and put a smile on peoples faces :wink: