Real world winter sub0 shoes reviews (or whatever!)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Real world winter sub0 shoes reviews (or whatever!)

Post by redefined_cycles »

As per title really. Probably time that we got a long term wonter shoes thing going. My summer Scott shoes witg Endura MT500 overshoes (both which i bough off here for cheap) and hardcore (darn tough)managed a sub5 for 1 hour the other day. But now have decided I need to upgrade and update and hence...
ScotRoutes

Re: Real world winter sub0 shoes reviews (or whatever!)

Post by ScotRoutes »

I bought some Bontrager OMWs a couple of years ago. Rarely wore them though as they were too warm. However they've seen a lot if use this winter and I've been glad of them.

The bootie is ideal for bivvying. Just keep them on in your bag and slip the outer on if you have to go for a piss.

There is a gaiter hook above the toe box. I've been doubling up protection with a pair of Gore Running ankle gaiters but the cuff on the boot can be cinched up quite tight anyway.

Size up.

Ideally, the liner would have a robust outer sole for those short overnight excursions.

I've been using them mostly with flat pedals (Nukeproof Electrons) and grip has been fine. I did, however, manage to break one of the SPD cover plates. It's quite a brittle plastic. I found a different plate off a pair if Northwave Gran Canions and fitted that in it's place.

I definitely recommend them.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

2x Bontrager OMW

Original pair were good, the light holder failed so got it warrantied and the new version have a slighter thick sole. Great boots to echo the above.

Have used them from 5c to -27c and have been great :-bd

As above, size up and don’t do the straps tight either, as this will help with bloood circulation.

Have been soaked in mine but the removable liner means they dry quicker than something that is fixed
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Same sort of review as the other 2.
I'd happily buy another pair.
I think I went 2 euro sizes up iirc.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Bought a pair of OMW's last week to try and put the cold toes thing to bed once and for all.
Used them in snow, rain and sub zero (-5) in the last week.
Very pleased with them, still get sight cold toes but I'm convinced that's a physical thing not weather related now.
The week before I bought a pair of fizik artica x5's.... Didn't rate them anywhere near as highly. Although they looked really nice they just didn't keep my feet anywhere near as warm as the OMW's.
I went up a size in the omw's, not sure I needed too, I can easily wear a pair of woolie boolies and probably a thin pair as well.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

For cold and snow I use ex-UK army Altberg boots, two sizes too big. With plastic flat pedals. Inefficient but warm.
If there is a big snow fall overnight, then I may have to hike out dragging the bike.
Otherwise neoprene over-shoes which are very warm but leave the feet sweaty.
ton

Post by ton »

i bought some of these northwave winter boots.
i didnt want a full mtb boot, more a winter touring boot. i have a fused right ankle and my foot dont bend and dont create any warmth in the cold. when i tried em for the first time i thought i had made a mistake. they have now stretched a bit, and are now fine. very warm. with a large toe box to allow for a thicker sock. they are ideal for me now.

https://www.bike-treks.co.uk/1170768/pr ... boots.aspx