BB 200 Kit List

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

BB 200 Kit List

Post by Ian »

I'm putting together an uber-light selection of gear for the BB200.

Aiming for <3kg for all gear, incl tools + frame bags etc, but excl. food and water. More details to follow as I've not managed to get everything onto the scales yet, but it's looking pretty good on paper with stock mfr weights.

What's everyone else's approach to gear for this event?
valleydaddy

Re: BB 200 Kit List

Post by valleydaddy »

Unfortunately due to injury I won't be able to do this event :cry: I am hoping to be able to assist Stuart and Dee in some sort of marshal role to make sure you all have a good time, so I maybe kipping in a bivvy but car assisted rather than bikepacked :(

I will look on in interest as always at the mission to get the lightest kit possible and the products purchased to make that possible.
paul78

Post by paul78 »

Gonna go for same method I used at Arrowhead ... pack only enough kit to satisfy minimum requirements knowing I wont be cooking or sleeping..

.. also hoping to have a bike then and my fractured knee cap to have healed :)
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Totally minimal, it's one night. I think the more pressing question is what waterproofs! ;)
BuzzardBoy

Post by BuzzardBoy »

Any chance of seeing this kit list you allude to above Ian? you should have it sorted by now?
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'll try and post something up tonight, but yes, it is sorted now :)
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Yes I agree what waterproofs, also what shoes, a gore tex lined pair wih seal skins socks or a regular pair of five tens & s.s socks
I'm also working on trying to do away with sum suff sacks & dry bags since the bivi is waterproof it should be able to double up as dry bag I hope! and I was planning on using the tarp as dry sack too kinda like a Yukon pack but Attached to bike. Doing it this way and removing my rack I would have dropped a kilo before I started kit selection ... :?
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

Just remember wet/damp kit is horrible and demoralising, so for the sake of the weight of a drybag I'd pack it all in one and be assured that you have done all you can to keep it dry
BuzzardBoy

Post by BuzzardBoy »

Thanks Ian

I'm new to bikepacking (have done a fair bit of multiday hiking and the KIMM) and any help is appreciated. Below is the start of my kitlist (I am planning on sleeping) and any advice anyone has would be helpful. My main questions right now are
1 Tent/Tarp? Cant really afford a tent (which would be my first choice even with the weight), but the world of tarps looks daunting (plus I'm scared of the bear).
2 Water - will their be water on the ground or do we need to filter (I would think the former).
3 Shoes - Ive only got my carbon soled race shoes. Should I go for flats and Inov8 and leave the clipless at home. How much hike a bike can we expect?

BB200 Kit List – 2011
Bike – Salsa Dos Niner
Bags – Camelbak Octane, Wildcat farme bags and sling, Exped 5ltr drybag

Sleep System (Weather)
ME Helium 400 (780gr) or Lafuma AR bag (500gram)
Alpkit Hunka
Thermarest regular
Tent/Tarp?????

Warm Camp clothes
Finisterre Gilet/Finisterre jacket/Berghaus Micro Fleece/Icrebreaker 150 merino long
Polypro leggings
Merino socks

Weather Clothes
CapeStorm Full Jacket/Montane featherlite/Gore Gilet
Waterproof trousers (only if the weather is awful)

Cycling Clothes
Cycle Shorts
Icebreaker Merino 150 short
Torm merino cycle jersey
Fleece leggings or Fleec kneewarmers
Merino socks or sealskinz socks
Spesh MTB race shoes/Inov8

Food
Usual mix of trail food and sandwiches
Infinit
Water - Streams/some tablets for emergency

Personal
White Gold/Ibuprofen/gum/wetwipes/phone/creditcard/cash

Maintenenance Kit
My usual mini kit incl chaintool

MedicalKit
My basic kit from the KIMM
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If the weather looks like it'll be fine then I'd consider not taking a tarp at all, I'd rely on the bivvy bag to supply shelter.

There should be plenty of water around. As long as you're sensible about where you take it from then it shouldn't be an issue.

Expect a certain amount of hike-a -bike, there's at least 2 sections that spring to mind. There's a very good chance that your feet are going to get wet no matter what you have on them ... comfort would be my main concern.

I think this is going to be very interesting, peoples attitudes are going to vary massively and in turn the amount of discomfort they're willing to except in pursuit of a fast time. *If I were taking part then I wouldn't expect to be changing clothes for the duration, although I would add and remove items as required.

*But I am somewhat of a tramp.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

The items you've listed all look fine - they need tailoring to the conditions, but as a general observation I would say you have a lot of clothes. You can limit redundancy a bit in this area, for example:

Lafuma AR bag (500gram) + Finisterre Gilet + Icebreaker 150 merino long will give you warmth while at the overnight stop and boost your bag's rating if the temp drops lower than it is principally designed for.

For short/ one night trips, I'll take things like leg warmers but not wear them for the first day - this makes them available as "evening wear" and subsequently on day two as the start will be earlier and probably cooler. I don't bother with waterproof trousers, but do wear soem dhb eVent shorts over the top of my normal shorts. This does prolong the comfort quite in the wet, particularly over two days.

Tent/tarp - more of a dilemma and down to personal preference. I'll be taking my tarp as it is quick, fairly easy and very light. If you have neither, then they are are lot less cost to get a good one. Worth a practice to pitch it, either to a pole or around your bike.

Shoes - you'll be fine in normal shoes I reckon. For the time of year, I would go with normal merino's and expect wet feet in the knowledge that the conditions won't be that cold. I'm not a fan of sealskins as I find the retention of water more uncomfortable than a pair of feet that are just generally wet.

HTH.

Ian
Slowmo

Post by Slowmo »

I'm new to this, although cycle tour a lot (on road).
I haven't slept in a bivvy or tarp since army days some years ago, usually use an ultralight tent.

I am slightly intimidated by some of the kit being listed on various sites/forums etc. This is just 24hrs in the hills right? :D

Won't be making any decisions until a few days before because of the weather. But I only really planned to crash out in my bivvy for a few hours. I want to just pootle for as many hours as I can.
So, bag + bivvy. Clothes I stand up in plus an extra long sleeve base or something, gortex jacket and a warm hat. ;)
My stove plus super noodles or something, and some coffee.

(the usual bits and bobs notwithstanding)

I don't care much for being light, as long as it is reasonable (draw the line at canvass teepees) :D
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

been trying to cut my packed weight down considerably for this.

first step was to buy a balloon bed from valley daddy (cheers) saved 400g.

I was going to make a new tarp but the CC bill turned up and i have been bad. so no more spending :(

I have a diet coke can (diet coke is lighter ;)) stove that i made, tested and put away. have got that out for a second test as it is a massive weight saving over a pocket rocket. if it looks to be dry warm i might forego a stove completely.

other than that i will be leaving things at home rather than getting light stuff. going to limit my carrying space to limit weight.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Right it's one night and as I am (more fat than usual) fat at the moment so won't be quick therefore my plan is to go longer. Sleep as little as possible therefore comfort doesn't matter.

I will be taking

Sleep (not planning on much unless I'm knackered / emergency / lost / can't go on)
Hunka XL
Xero 250 Bag
Patagonia Down Sweater
Merino Vest

Stuff
Light & 3 x Batteries
Tube
Multitool
Spot & Phone
Mini 1st aid
Emergency blanket
Bara, Sarnies, Gels, Chocolate, Custard Creams
3l Water in Camelbak

Normal riding gear & a Montane featherlite smock

What I won't be taking
No stove, no pots, no cooking, no tarp, no bulky waterproof, no sleeping mat, no pillow.

Basically same as a big day ride plus

Lights
Bivi
Sleeping Bag
BuzzardBoy

Post by BuzzardBoy »

All very interesting comments. Will definitely tailor my clothes for the weather, but from experience I sleep cold - so always nervous about that. Have no idea what to do about a tarp/tent - I have no experience with a tarp and not sure how I will get one sorted before this. Might try beg/borrow/steal something prior or just try survive with the Hunka alone. Might drop the sleep mat, but again that comes down to comfort and a decent sleep.

Still undecided about shoes - might bring both options and make a last minute decision on the day.

I'm definitely planning on leaving the stove at home - unless the weather is truly shocking (in which case a warm meal will be worth carrying it) If so then the trusty rocket will come out.

Do we have a vague idea of expected time? The start times etc suggest 24hrs is the expected TOTAL finish time - is that for mere mortals or for Aidan et al? Will give us an idea of the severity of the terrain.

Forgot lights in my list too (exposure enduro on the bars (plus extra battery) and joystick on the helmet).
Matt

Post by Matt »

120 miles off road is a long way

even longer with hike a bike.

I'm thinking 15-20 hours in the saddle :shock: 10kph is an average
BuzzardBoy

Post by BuzzardBoy »

Agreed - its a long way

I was working on a 20hr ride time (incl stops). Maybe a 5hr bivi and look to finish for breakfast and tea and a nap before the drive home. Sounds so simple when said like that
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

BuzzardBoy, if you'd like to borrow a tarp I've plenty ... I won't weigh you down with anything too 'robust'.

I reckon a 10kph average wouldn't be far off the mark taking everything into account ... I honestly have been trying to limit the never ending 'death marches' where possible and maximise everyones ability to ride rather than push/carry ... see, I can be nice sometimes!
alfachippy

Post by alfachippy »

Gents, as a appears to be the trend here, I plan on taking only items that I would normally take out on a day long ride, along with the must have sleeping bag, bivvy and lights.

On the last WRT I took no change of clothes as in reality I found that putting fresh, dry clothes only makes a difference during the 1st 5 mins of riding, by which time your kit will be soaked through again ;)

Slowmo, don't be intimidated by all the high tech kit being discussed on here. It is a major attraction to bivvybiking and I am always searching, saving and buying kit but if your kit weighs a few hundred grams heavier i'd challenge anyone to really notice the difference when riding the bike.

Regards to how long it takes, without knowing the route I was hoping to complete it in around 22 hours, 20 of which was on the bike ie:10kph
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Oweer it's a race is it, better have a serious re-think then otherwise all the food will be gone on Sunday :(
The old git in the yellow socks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oweer it's a race is it
It's an independent time trial ... the word 'race' has never been mentioned ;)
Chew

Post by Chew »

I'm with alfachippy. Normal riding gear, plus minimum kit. If the weathers not so favourable then maybe a bit more. Nothing worse than putting on wet socks in the morning, but after 5 minutes you dont notice, and dry socks have soaked up any wetness from your shoes anyway.

Quite looking forward to riding into dusk and darkness. Doubt i'll be able to ride through the night, but it would be good to be riding again when dawn breaks.

I need my sleep so was planning on 20 (riding) plus 6 hours (sleeping/resting), so back for 4 on sunday. May have to rethink that :?
alfachippy

Post by alfachippy »

Chew, don't forget that the start time has now moved to 10:00, which means that 26 hours later will be 12:00 on Sunday.........lunchtime :D
Ian

Post by Ian »

Well for me, I'm inclined to take one or two things more than the minimum in order to get some good sleep. I know it's only one night, its an ITT and all that, but if the start is at 10am, by 10pm I'll be ready to stop and put my head down (not as fit as I used to be...). Maybe I'll be so tired I'll fall alsleep on/in anything, but I'd like to be prepared for something comfortable. My kit list looks like this - normal cycling clothes plus:

Gil eVent jacket
Fleece hat
L/S merino top
Loo roll
Emergency mobile phone
Spot tracker
Thermarest Neoair
PHD Minim Ultra sleeping bag
Z-packs tarp
Terra Nova Moonlight bivvy
Tools + spares
Pump
Spare tube
Wildcat Mtn Lion
Wildcat Clouded Leopard
2x Waterbottles & cages
2923g/ 6.44lb

Food extra, obviously.

You could argue that the tarp is a bit extravagant, but that combo with the moonlight bivvy weighs 20g less than my Hunka on its own. I could just take the moonlight and pick my spot very carefully, especially if the forecast is good and save 177g The Spot is also 208g of "fun" technology for me which isn't necessarily essential, though in the event of dire emergency I'd be glad of it. With those to removed, weight is down to 2538g. Horses for courses - I think I want to enjoy myself more than post some spectacular time.
alfachippy

Post by alfachippy »

Ian, kit list is looking good.

Agreed, just like the WRT, different people will want to achieve different things from this event and so the variety of essentials that will be carried will vary accordingly.