CRC have stolen Stu's motto

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

CRC have stolen Stu's motto

Post by sean_iow »

I had an email from CRC and this was the banner across the top

It's the first time I've noticed it on an email from them. Has bikepacking now gone that mainstream? I'm going to guess from the goggles/helmet that the 'eat' and 'sleep' parts are not intended to be under a hedge :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Re: CRC have stolen Stu's motto

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not for the first time Sean.

I tend to view such things as flattery rather than lack of imagination - although, CRC have likely never heard of BB. Even those members of the 'industry' that have, seem to regard us a subsection of a sub-group of a hightly niche, sub-division of cycling ... or they think we're the Moonie's.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:subsection of a sub-group of a hightly niche, sub-division of cycling ...
I forget that this is not the normal way of things in cycling where I'm so embedded in it. It did occur to me recently whist riding that as my bike is fully rigid, singlespeed and has Jones loops that the chances of me meeting another rider locally with any of those 3 is zero.... on here it's pretty common :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I just mentioned this to Dee who said ... "really, CRC are using f*ck 'em in their advertising?"
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

:grin: :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I think we're too niche for the Moonies Stu.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I just mentioned this to Dee who said ... "really, CRC are using f*ck 'em in their advertising?"
That's not the CRC motto but I think it might be the customer service motto of another supplier :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Did that originate from BB / WRT then? Good work if so.. A quick google says it's well in use now.

I think I saw it first related to the TDR or on a t-shirt, not sure when that was now.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did that originate from BB / WRT then? Good work if so.. A quick google says it's well in use now.
Very hard to know with these things James but it's featured on the back of BB jerseys for quite a few years. I've seen it used a few times by different people since.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Very hard to know with these things James but it's featured on the back of BB jerseys for quite a few years. I've seen it used a few times by different people since.
A big part of getting a B.B. jersey was tha back print.
Just need another order. :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Didn't Fatboy slim use something similar once? Dance, sleep, eat, repeat.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have to say, I really like the motto/wording/phrase. It's one of the big selling points of the jerseys

This website says the phrase was around in 2011 - https://www.anthonyoram.com/products/ri ... repeat--16

"I first saw a sketch by Dirt Rag writer Karl in March 2011 and knew I had to design it, it was too cool an idea. So I did. You can see it here: "
jameso

Post by jameso »

Didn't Fatboy slim use something similar once? Dance, sleep, eat, repeat.
I don't think many of that crowd slept much :shock: :grin:

http://tourdivide.org/2009_letters_of_intent -
Jacob P Johnsrud
I am in. I am not computer savvy, more of a historical relic born in a time far past the years I was meant to exist. I bike, I eat, I sleep, I repeat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat,_Sleep,_Repeat - album, 2006

Not with any intent to devalue the BB use of this, just an interest in IP and slogan use, advertising and stuff like that. It's a phrase that's been around a while in motorbike circles but not sure where it started. Fair to say it's a BB motto though, has been as long as i remember bikepacking in the UK, which isn't as long as those attending early WRTs.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not with any intent to devalue the BB use of this, just an interest in IP and slogan use, advertising and stuff like that. It's a phrase that's been around a while in motorbike circles but not sure where it started. Fair to say it's a BB motto though, has been as long as i remember bikepacking in the UK, which isn't as long as those attending early WRTs.
No, not at all James. I never believed it was 'mine' or 'ours', simply something that expresses bikepacking in a quick and easy way.

However, I am happy to see 'TLS' starting to become part of bikepacking 'language' :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I guess what makes it special for 'us' is that the 'eat' and 'sleep' parts are a key ingredient of the whole, not just a means to repeat the first bit?

But I have seen it used with all sorts of activities in the past. The CRC banner just happened to catch my attention.

The slogan on the back of my BB jersey was one of the few photos I saw that made it to the FB page of the local hospice after a charity ride last year, it does get peoples attention. I didn't even known they'd taken the picture. There is also a picture of my front on the page which the nice lady photographer asked if she could take, at the time I assumed it was my boyish good looks that attracted her but on reflection it was probably the BB jersey :lol:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
No, not at all James. I never believed it was 'mine' or 'ours', simply something that expresses bikepacking in a quick and easy way.

However, I am happy to see 'TLS' starting to become part of bikepacking 'language' :wink:
Better quickly put a copyright on it then :wink:
Make sure to include stuff, sub standard and gear (TLG) to get most out of it.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

:wink: they've kinda messed up the order https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-ladies%27- ... 9203315601
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Alpinum wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:

Better quickly put a copyright on it then :wink:
Make sure to include stuff, sub standard and gear (TLG) to get most out of it.
Been around in various forms for yonks, Eat Sleep Rave Repeat was on a t-shirt I had ealr 90's, Eat Sleep Game Repeat also common.
And yeah, there was not lot of sleeping going on, I think it's why I like night rides so much ;) )
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.