ITT Training in the South East

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

ITT Training in the South East

Post by dlovett »

One of the biggest problems of ITT's is that they tend to be miles away from the South East, so actually training on them is very difficult. I've put together a couple of training routes for anybody who is in the South East and is interested in trying one. These are local, have most of the terrain that you can expect in the majority of ITT's and are of a reasonable distance and climbing height.

The first link is a 96km route from Bike-U-Like Bike shop in Southsea to Quest Adventure in Worthing. It goes via the Shipwright's way which is a combo of roadway, lanes, cycle path and off road. It joins the South Downs Way at Queen Elizabeth country Park where you can enjoy the mountain bike trails if you want to give your legs some extra miles. It then follows the SDW to The Quest Adventure Bike Shop in Worthing. It can also be ridden backwards, Quest to Bike-U-Like. Depending upon the time of year, expect it to take between 5-9hours.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/20822371

It's big brother version will give you pretty much a 200km ITT experience without leaving the South East. This one is a 173km route from Bike-U-Like Bike shop in Southsea to Quest Adventure in Worthing. it goes via the Shipwright's way which is a combo of roadway, lanes, cycle path and off road. It joins the South Downs Way at Queen Elizabeth country Park where you can enjoy the mountain bike trails. It then follows the SDW to Winchester and back along the SDW to the Quest Adventure Bike shop in Worthing. It can also be ridden backwards, Quest to Bike-U-Like. Depending upon the time of year, expect it to take between 12-20hours.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/20822315
DickieH

Re: ITT Training in the South East

Post by DickieH »

I like that (living on one end of the SDW). Handy for the IoW ferry too.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Good stuff, interested in those. It's a bit further north but I'd add the Ridgeway as a valid ITT training route also. It's not that hilly or hard but combined with more specific climbing or strength work it's worked OK for me. Nice route in summer, hard going in winter. Probably not HT550 prep, but for southerners there's Wales for that.
Dardoux

Post by Dardoux »

Hi,
What is ITT training?
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

ITT? Independent Time Trial.

Looks like a good job, thanks for posting those. I've been working on one that follows much of the greensand way, the fun bits anyway.
Also another Salisbury to New Forest with an upland loop of Cranford Chase. I'll post them here when done.
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

jameso of course, the Ridgeway (Double) is an ITT in its own right.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dardoux wrote:Hi,
What is ITT training?
As has been said, training for Independent Time Trials, some info on ITTs here

http://selfsupporteduk.net/

Some have a group start and others are just a fixed route you can do anytime, as of course you can the ones with the group starts. Lot's of them are in 'the north' so finding suitable routes for training rides if you live in the south can be a challenge.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger