WRT - Scary? Unappealing?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

WRT - Scary? Unappealing?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was thinking (no ladders involved) and it struck me that entries for the WRT have pretty much remained static for the last 4 years or so. Given the seemingly big increase in interest, I thought it was a little odd perhaps?

There's a very good chance that I'm way too close to see things, so thought I'd ask - why? The best reasons I can come up with are: The WRT is seen as a difficult thing to do? The requirement to plan a route and (hopefuly) navigate is off-putting? Perhaps it's viewed as a 'boners' only event? People find the unstructured 'concept' confusing. Maybe it's just crap?

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not that arsed about numbers increasing - as long as everyone has a good time and some cash gets raised for the Air Ambulance, I'm a happy bunny ... it just struck me as odd but maybe it isn't? Perhaps an increase in interest doesn't directly equate to an increase in those actively participating?
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Re: WRT - Scary? Unappealing?

Post by middleagedmadness »

When I started getting kit together ,I'd mentioned to my riding buddies all in their 40s so of the same generation of sharing a can of pop amongst 10 and drinking out of hose pipes , that I was getting bored with 2-4 hrs riding and fancied this idea ,they were all up for it ,now as usual I have jumped in both feet first but they are not even teetering on the edge of trying it , I'd mentioned the WRT make it as long as you want ,stop in as many pubs as we can find but when they actually looked into it ,digging holes to crap in and the possiblity of being wet through for 3 days did not appeal plus for alot of people they don't like the idea of getting lost as they feel like failures ,me the more I get lost the more new places I get to know .showing interest in something for some people makes them feel part of whatever it is but with out any misery or effort and with out the rewards.too many people are afraid of what will happen if things don't go exactly to plan instead of acting the the 13 year olds we all are ,getting lost and covered in sh@te but making it home in time for tea,
Naffa

Post by Naffa »

For me I find it hard to be away from home and family responsibilities for more than 1 night. I've been hoping to ride the Trans Cambrian for the last 2 years but its not important enough for me to make the time for, if that makes sense.
The odd night here and there is better for me tbh.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

It might be the opposite Stu in that not enough is "laid on a plate" for the modern punter. ie. route choice done for you, food half way round, creche, etc..

Or maybe you need to rebrand as the Welsh Micr0@dventure Weekend?
Last edited by Dave Barter on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You need to move the date to avoid the Spain C2C :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Before I actually did it, I found the prospect extremely scary... so I can see why people would think it is.

I almost wonder if you need a couple of friendly camp sites people could bivvy at, for those who are worried about the wild camping aspect.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I think the format sounds great and I've fancied it since I watched some YouTube vids from it years back. I just live so bloody far away that I'd really need to combine it with more stuff to justify travel cost and time.

I'm not a fan of organised events generally, but the freedom to plan and kinda do your own thing whilst having like minded people about would be the appeal to me. I'm a kinda independent loner who is happy not to be aloner at times :lol:

I doubt I'd even consider turning up if it was essentially an offroad sportive with all that seems to go along with sportives.
Last edited by Moder-dye on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It might be the opposite Stu in that not enough is "laid on a plate" for the modern punter. ie. route choice done for you, food half way round, creche, etc..
and
almost wonder if you need a couple of friendly camp sites people could bivvy at, for those who are worried about the wild camping aspect.
Both of these points could well be true. Trouble is - if people do need their hands holding, then I'd rather they didn't enter. I appreciate that may be taken by some as sounding elitest but it's made more from a practical standpoint than a tw@tish one.
or me I find it hard to be away from home and family responsibilities for more than 1 night.
That's why we added the 'Lite' a few years ago but obviously any extended travelling, can then make a single night appear not to be worthwhile.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

We have a regular yearly commitment that weekend. I’d love to be there otherwise.

But I’d say it’s perfect as it is. Its bikepacking, you’re not trying to sell it are you? If people don’t like it ‘as is’ then they don’t actually like bikepacking - maybe just like the idea of it. Which I seem to remember you for-told sometime back :ugeek:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Maybe some Light In Some Other Location Things* in the same way that there's multiple/regional winter bivy events? Gets around the "It's f***ing miles to Mid Wales" complaints.

It would be interesting to know how many of those who attended the Alpkit Adventure camp or whatever it was called along with their big shakeouts have gone on to do bivy trips on their own?

* That's the best backronym I could come up with :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

maybe more people don't know about the event?

how about offering the ability to camp at BBTowers on the sat and sunday nights?
this would then enable someone to do a small loop.

having a campsite to aim for is a problem if someone has a problem, or underestimates the time required.
for most of us we'd just stop and set up camp
racing to make a campsite might stress out someone new.

the group rides seem a good idea.
and makes the event a bit more sociable

tea, more cake, and bacon rolls.
Last edited by Asposium on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Just to be clear I'm not complaining about location; its a great location. My own choice of location makes everywhere miles away from me :lol:
paramart

Post by paramart »

their loss our gain, more cake and tea :lol: as dave's video shown it,s not all sunshine and smiles but maybe being realistic, is off putting to the general masses, you never saw or see holiday ads showing it peeing down, windy, etc it's all brainwashed bullshit, maybe a good miniadventure video might persuade people :lol:
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

[quote="Richard G"]Before I actually did it, I found the prospect extremely scary... so I can see why people would think it is.

I agree with Richard, I turned up for the first time alone and it felt daunting.
Soon made to feel welcome, I had no route plannned a group was happy for me to tag along.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

The same as Moder-Dye above I think the concept sounds vaguely exciting but the time and cost of travel from Scotland makes it prohibitive for me. If I were to make the journey down to BB towers for an event it would be the wrt
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Jurassic pusher wrote: I agree with Richard, I turned up for the first time alone and it felt daunting.
Soon made to feel welcome, I had no route plannned a group was happy for me to tag along.
exactly the same for me
last year was billy no mates on "the wrong bike", and still fairly new to bike packing (still learning mind)
had a group with whom to ride and fun was had by all.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

how about offering the ability to camp at BBTowers on the sat and sunday nights?
You've got me all confused now. I want people to explore and find the unexpected and besides, I'm much more of a 'death or glory' than 'halfway house' type. :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

You need an instagram page Stu, full of sunny pictures and people in cool Ralpha gear. #fromwhereiride #outsideisfree and all that will get loads of likes.

...then you'd get emails asking where to camp and what clothes to pack and you'll be glad it is what it is :grin:

TBH I'm not sure bikepacking is growing, roadpackinglite aka touring gets some interest but MTB bikepacking seems like it's levelling off? Got no numbers to support that though. People do like stuff planned for them too - time is short. Too much time on instagram ... and not on mapping sites :ugeek:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
You've got me all confused now. I want people to explore and find the unexpected and besides, I'm much more of a 'death or glory' than 'halfway house' type. :wink:
just about options
not everyone has the desire(*) -or stupidity- to jump straight in

(*) polite edited version
gairym

Post by gairym »

I agree with Jameso,

Not sure there actually are many more bikepackers than a few years ago (way back before it was on trend).

I think that an imaginary thing that doesn't actually exist is momentarily bigger than ever and that the WRT isn't particularly compatible with the marketing hype surrounding Bikepacking™.

No bad thing.

I think the bigger, more exotic 'events' are receiving many totally unprepared and ultimately disinterested participants who very quickly realise that they are not genuinely interested in the grim reality of bikepacking as it really is.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Asposium wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
just about options
not everyone has the desire(*) -or stupidity- to jump straight in

(*) polite edited version
But then you'd end up with a weekend of piss ups in the garden with a bit of riding thrown in if you're lucky. :roll:

This non-attender (so have no say) says keep it as is, unless you want to be wiping peoples metaphorical arse for a weekend. I once ran a music camp, super low key and stupidly cheap (£10 ) with the idea people mucked in to make it work, performed, kept it clean, but each year people just wanted more and more while doing less and less the more I tried to accommodate them. I'm rambling now...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

After reading answers and while having my tea (salmon), I feel I've had a moment of clarity. I now see that the WRT is in no way 'failing' but is in fact, performing its role perfectly. Watering it down in an effort to encourage more people is never going to happen but encouraging people to embrace the reality does I believe happen. However, doing so requires effort and maybe even a pinch of balls - two things which can't be given or bought? As for options, maybe the WRT presents people with too many options already? Could be bewildering for people not entirely at ease with free-rein and the responsibility that's attached to personal decision making?

Anyway, thank you all very much. I feel somehow lighter now, which we all know, is the most important thing.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You still need to move the date though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You still need to move the date though.
I don't ... as the longest running 'bikepacking' event outside of the US, I feel it's other peoples duty to be respectful of their heritage :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

There definitely needs to be an ironic smilie.
I feel somehow lighter now
A good poo normally solves most of life's dilemmas :oops: