WRT - Scary? Unappealing?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alh14

Re: WRT - Scary? Unappealing?

Post by Alh14 »

Is the WRT always held on the first May bank holiday ?

Couldnt get the time off this year but would love to give it a crack next year.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I’d say keep the format, although for newbies, the idea of navigating AND finding somewhere to sleep may be too much for some (but intriguing for others!)
Maybe that's an old school / new school thing? I, like many here am old enough to remember when mountain biking involved navigation, it was an integral part of the process - there was no other way unless you simply stuck to those places you already knew.

I do appreciate that the 'finding somewhere to sleep' bit might be daunting but again, I'm thinking - integral part of the bikepacking experience, without which, it's just a ride. :wink:

Is the WRT always held on the first May bank holiday ?
It is.
May the bridges you burn light your way
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Several reasons for me, some specific to the date, others the format or location:

Firstly, that weekend is the Cairngorms Loop mass start. That ride is a classic, a great mix of trails and grit, and perfect length for a single weekend.
Secondly, I live in Scotland, and WRT is in Wales. I’d really only travel that far for something I knew could match the quality of riding in Scotland.
Finally, I do enjoy a tough route, but generally I see a hike a bike as being a means to an end, and a connector between two good bits of riding. I’m slightly put off riding in a new area if it’s going to be guesswork whether any or all of it is rideable.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

My comments about being none the wiser after reading the blurb were somewhat tongue in cheek.

For me taking a step into the unknown is part of the appeal, the fact it causes me a little anxiety and promises to challenge me is a reason to do it rather than a reason not to.

That said, I've suggested it to some friends and they seem somewhat daunted by the lack of structure.

This is fine by me, I get to mooch around mid Wales with people that have taken up the challenge, that do embrace this kind of event. I like hanging out with these people, I like that we all tend to be capable of independence so the coming together is random rather than necessary.

This event is unusual.... keep it that way.

The number of events offering a diluted version of 'bikepack' is on the increase and will become popular over the next few years. There will be no shortage of events like the Yorkshire 100 (I think I have that right, can't be arsed to go and check) that was recently posted up here. I'm certainly not dissing them, I really like the look of that event, the kind of thing to take my son and mates on.

I guess the thing is Stu, if you want to go main stream and try to make some money, structured rides with comfort camping is a market that is about to explode.

But the odd balls and social rejects will still need their fix, will still want the likes of the WRT.

Plus it just doesn't seem socially responsible to unleash the Panda on normal folk.
barney

Post by barney »

my "problem" is that I'm way too slow/unfit and don't fancy spending three days on my own nor do I fancy three days constantly slowing down the LHC and have a group of people waiting for me at the top of every hill.

if I can build up a bit of fitness by then I'll enter, fingers crossed
Wait for me...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

barney wrote:my "problem" is that I'm way too slow/unfit and don't fancy spending three days on my own nor do I fancy three days constantly slowing down the LHC and have a group of people waiting for me at the top of every hill.

if I can build up a bit of fitness by then I'll enter, fingers crossed
This is why I entered the WRT ,I too am slow and the format suits me , I'm also entered in the Jenn ride the week after and because it's a set route over a set time I feel there's more pressure on me to get quicker on the bike
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Only reason I haven't entered was because I did the Winter Event already, will hopefully be doing a summer outing of some kind and have a young family which like to see me (at times!). The lack of planned routes doesn't put me off at all but not knowing the local countryside very well does provide a bit of apprehension. When plotting a route in the comfort of my home it is easy to think "it's only a mile or two" when looking at a potentially boggy section but that takes on a different complexion if it is pissing down, your tired, the preceeding miles were a push through tussocks and the subsequent miles look like they maybe also. I was quite glad Stu put the warning for the winter event about a particular bridleway being unridable - my original route went straight down it.

The last thing that I want would be to be provided a route but my weekends away are limited and I don't want waste them with sub standard riding. I wonder if the answer would be a collaborative barebones bridleway map with the local suitable rights of way rideability graded as red, orange, yellow (for me this would mean perfectly rideable but dull e.g. fireroad), green, blue. This would let people who didn't know the area have some confidence in their route while not spoonfeeding anyone anything. I have no idea how such a thing could be set up by the way!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

For me part of the fun of any ride or hiking trip is the planning of it. Maps, blogs, strava heat maps, google aerials, geograph, advice on here. Great for slack times at work too :???:

Before the www I spent hours as a kid with maps(and sadly even borrowing them for a very long time from the library :oops: ) and peaces of string measuring routes and using Naismith's rule. Am I just a weirdo nerd?? :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Moder-dye wrote:For me part of the fun of any ride or hiking trip is the planning of it. Maps, blogs, strava heat maps, google aerials, geograph, advice on here. Great for slack times at work too :???:

Before the www I spent hours as a kid with maps(and sadly even borrowing them for a very long time from the library :oops: ) and peaces of string measuring routes and using Naismith's rule. Am I just a weirdo nerd?? :lol:
Nope :-bd or maybe :???:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Perhaps the LHC should be emphasised more as an option for the uninitiated. Someone else has set a route and you wil have a mix of abilities and advice to help you if you lack confidence in your routeplanning or bivvying.
I went on the LHC the past two years and it was great to test my new found skills in an environment where if it went horribly wrong, there would be support around me.
If I can wangle the time off this year, I will do the WRT alone or maybe with one or two others and leave the LHC to newcomers.

One of the WRTs greatest strengths is flexibility. So your route isn't what you thought it would be? Well change it on the hoof and see if a deviation works better. After all, if there's one thing the WRT attracts, it's deviants. :wink:
Chew

Post by Chew »

macinblack wrote:Perhaps the LHC should be emphasised more as an option for the uninitiated. Someone else has set a route and you wil have a mix of abilities and advice to help you if you lack confidence in your routeplanning or bivvying.
That’s what my original vision was.
More of you have very little experience and want a bit of support to get out and enjoy the experience which can seen a bit daunting.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The WRT is way out of my comfort zone but after reading last years reports I booked the bank holiday weekend off with the missus. To answer the titular question, yes, it’s mildly scary but that’s not a bad thing.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve never done a WRT but only because May is the best time for a trip to Scotland, so that’s where I am.

Sorry Wales, I love you too.
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

The number of entries might not be going up, but are you getting new people entering, or is it the same faces? From reading this thread sounds like there are people signing up for the first time.

I've done the WRT a couple of times, always enjoyed it, but the challenge is I only really have a limited number of weekends away each year, the desire to ride new places, coupled with the fact that BB200 and Winter Event seem at more convinient times of the year family wise (Non-bank holiday weekends in damp and dark months), mean I've not signed up for the past few years, but I'm sure I will again in the future.

Like many others, I've got a group of riding mates, only 1 of which is interested in this bivvying out, everyone else is keen for full days out in the hills, but would rather come back to a B&B/YHA.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

AlasdairMc wrote: Finally, I do enjoy a tough route, but generally I see a hike a bike as being a means to an end, and a connector between two good bits of riding. I’m slightly put off riding in a new area if it’s going to be guesswork whether any or all of it is rideable.
This^
I've zero interest in HaB as type 2 fun. I don't think that providing a route, rather than have riders having to spend ages looking over maps to decide a suitable route through an area they don't know, doesn't 'dilute' anything and is certainly no where near the 'provide a campsite' end of the spectrum
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, as Chew says - his original idea for starting the LHC was to provide some margin for error or safety net for those not entirely happy. After a taste of WRT life, they'd hopefully have enough confidence to attend the following year under their own steam.

Part of the trouble with the LHC is that, someone has to 'run' it and that person can only cope with quite small numbers. If places are 'taken up' by those who really ought to be riding on their own / in another group, then ..........

Maybe time for a number of LHC?
The number of entries might not be going up, but are you getting new people entering, or is it the same faces?
Both Paul. Certainly plenty of new faces amongst the old tired ones. :wink:
I've zero interest in HaB as type 2 fun. I don't think that providing a route, rather than have riders having to spend ages looking over maps to decide a suitable route through an area they don't know, doesn't 'dilute' anything and is certainly no where near the 'provide a campsite' end of the spectrum
I think once you provide a route, you run the risk of turning it into a procession - then (in peoples minds) a form of race. Some people will always try and ride a given route as quickly as possible - it's simply in their nature. HaB is nowhere near as prevalent on the WRT as some people imagine. The GR tend to form a 'natural order'. If you decide to join the dots by way of green dashes over high ground, then yes, you'll be pushing but it's uncommon that there isn't alternative ways between. You've much more change of HaB section on the BB200 with its supplied route, than you have on the WRT.

Always happy to check routes if people are unsure of something and plenty of advice here about should I / shouldn't I use this track. Oh and just remembered Craigs comment about the need to buy maps - not convinced by the argument. Pull a face at £20 on some maps but happily spent £200+ on a gps?
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Maybe time for a number of LHCs?" - as the current LHC 'ringleader' I'm getting interest shown already, and whilst last year's group of 12 or so was great fun and OK, it's a bit 'unwieldy' as Stu says. I'll post more about the LHC in a couple of weeks. But for now, a gentle plea please: if you could help out with running potential LHC-B, LHC-C etc groups, please PM me - thanks!

"HaB is nowhere near as prevalent on the WRT as some people imagine." - yes, I was also wondering where that 'rumour' started. It's called Welsh Ride Thing not Welsh HaB Thing :smile:.

'Reg'
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

RIP wrote:"Maybe time for a number of LHCs?" - as the current LHC 'ringleader' I'm getting interest shown already, and whilst last year's group of 12 or so was great fun and OK, it's a bit 'unwieldy' as Stu says. I'll post more about the LHC in a couple of weeks. But for now, a gentle plea please: if you could help out with running potential LHC-B, LHC-C etc groups, please PM me - thanks!

"HaB is nowhere near as prevalent on the WRT as some people imagine." - yes, I was also wondering where that 'rumour' started. It's called Welsh Ride Thing not Welsh HaB Thing :smile:.

'Reg'
12 indeed is an unwieldy number, 6 would be much better. I would offer my services but as i've said I can't justify the cost of travelling down unfortunately.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Continuing to think about your original question...

I think it may just boil down to a case of new people sign up and participate. They enjoy it or they don't. If they enjoy it, they tell like minded friends and acquaintances. They sign up again next year and maybe some of the people they told about it do too. You have a small increase in new entries. If they don't enjoy it, they are unlikely to enter again (This theory doesn't apply to the BB200), so then you have a slight drop in returning entries.

Couple this with a base group of people who have been coming for years (regulars who don't want to miss the WRT) and I think you arrive at the "numbers don't really change" situation.

As you say, you are not bothered about it getting bigger or more structured to cater for new BP converts.

So in conclusion I think it is fine as it is. In UK Bikepacking circles, I would suggest the WRT is near lengendary anyway. What you have created is brilliant and you should feel very satisfied and chuffed.

Just my (possibly not very articulate) two penneth worth.

Si
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Always happy to check routes if people are unsure of something and plenty of advice here about should I / shouldn't I use this track. Oh and just remembered Craigs comment about the need to buy maps - not convinced by the argument. Pull a face at £20 on some maps but happily spent £200+ on a gps?
Some people just want to follow a GPX rather than work things out for themselves. The idea of looking at a map would appear to mortify them. Even simple directions like "From car park turn right then take the first left onto the track through the large stone arch and follow this for 20km to the next junction" gets the response "What if I get lost?". Presumably they also follow their sat-nav to get to and from the local shops at the end of the street :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Been thinking about this Q for longer than it was posted as I have a similar dilemma with a 200 mile, unsupported, 24H challenge which climbs 13000ft and no drafting is allowed. For charity off course and I normally try to get riders from our local (national) club...

The idea was based loosely around the Crikey, how much Manchester to London ride byt without yhe support and each man to themselves (10 riders max is what we aim for with a given set of rules)...

In a nutshell - this year we have only 7 riders - I would say its very appealing but scary so in the first instance lots (I mean more than 7) of people want to join but then you get Qs like: Whats the logistics of getting to start, and leaving end point (to which they are told, well you get to start point (this year Dewsbury) and after eating leave from end point)); seriously unsupported and no skin suits/lycra on show/no drafting... Then you get the inevitable and people leave...

So my answer is

Appealing but out of comfort zone so, Scary!!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

All very interesting and I think we can safely conclude that - people are all different. The aspects that some find truly appealing will be the very things that others find unappealing and put them off.

I expect about 150 riders by the time entries close which as I've already said, is about the same as the last 3 years and is probably quite enough to cope with. Perhaps, it also makes you realise that the thought of bikepacking is actually way more appealing than actually doing it - BTW I'm not thinking about the people who frequent this place when I say that. Perhaps the perceived increase in bikepacking's popularity doesn't exist beyond reading and thinking about it?

In my mind, the WRT is an 'easy' event for the would-be bikepacker and a nice introduction - as it's very much a personal journey with no pressure to 'perform'. I think the ability to get yourself from A to B and back again should really be something that everyone heading beyond the confines of their garden should be able to do - whether that be with paper or gps. After all, we live on an island - so just how lost can you get? :wink:
Chew

Post by Chew »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:After all, we live on an island - so just how lost can you get?
Depends if you put another GR in the sea :wink:

(although I know its traditional)
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

The only reason I haven't enter this year or the Winter event, is a lack of time.
I'm only able to do three events this year and they will be the YD200/300/BB200.
Last edited by dlovett on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Depends if you put another GR in the sea
And that proves the point - it's there to let you know you've gone too far and it's time to turn round :wink: