From Panniers to Soft Bags

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

From Panniers to Soft Bags

Post by whitestone »

An interesting article on bikepacking.com - http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/bikepac ... king-bags/. Surprised at the difference in weight between just the racks/ panniers combination and soft bags/harnesses.

Nonetheless, I'm always surprised at what Americans (and to be fair it nearly always is Americans) regard as essentials, the electronics/photography list by itself is longer than what I own! Then again they are going around the world.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Re: From Panniers to Soft Bags

Post by voodoo_simon »

whitestone wrote:Nonetheless, I'm always surprised at what Americans (and to be fair it nearly always is Americans) regard as essentials, the electronics/photography list by itself is longer than what I own! Then again they are going around the world.
I think it depends on what you want from the ride, I'm more than happy with 'good memory' pictures, so will always rely on my iPhone, whereas others want images that they may publish or they have a keener eye than myself. I was a bit taken aback though with laptop suggestions but if you're on the road for months, then why not (although saying that, I guess this article was aimed at beginners (?), so bit odd in that respect!)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While it's good that they're trying to 'drop some weight' I'm not really sure what the article is trying to say beyond "bags are lighter than panniers and racks" ... who knew?

In some peoples minds, the fitting of soft luggage defines them as a 'bikepacker' ... it doesn't. It requires a shift in mindset, otherwise, you're simply touring with soft luggage. However, in this case, it looks like a change of ideas is taking place or maybe it was simply forced upon them by the reduction in carrying capacity? A 'bikepacking bike' should look streamline and purposeful, it shouldn't look like it was packed by the world Buckaroo champion.

May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Although it seems a bit obvious to hardened bikepackers it’s a longer journey if you adapting from a touring background

My first setup
https://flic.kr/p/RF2xhC

Now
https://flic.kr/p/23tCfgc

Since the winter event I’ve added a porcelain rocket seatpack, last overnighter I lost the frame bag as well and went out the door at 36lb all in.
Fair play to anyone who makes the transition in one go, it’s been a near two year process for me.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

For that kit list on the post you need a 4x4 to carry all that lot not a bike with panniers
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

To be fair, the author of the article is German and she and her partner are running a blog and instagram feed of their travels, thus the electronics and camera gear being "essential". I suspect for a lot of us, the camera on their phone or a small mirrorless model would be all we'd need.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

BigdummySteve wrote:Although it seems a bit obvious to hardened bikepackers it’s a longer journey if you adapting from a touring background

My first setup
https://flic.kr/p/RF2xhC

Now
https://flic.kr/p/23tCfgc

Since the winter event I’ve added a porcelain rocket seatpack, last overnighter I lost the frame bag as well and went out the door at 36lb all in.
Fair play to anyone who makes the transition in one go, it’s been a near two year process for me.
Your "now" picture is a great setup for a night or two when you can look at the weather forecast before leaving home and pack accordingly. Imagine packing for a tour of several months where you'll be riding in mountains and deserts. You'll need to carry clothing to cope with sub zero to 35 degrees, rain, snow and sun. In arid places water resources might be days apart. I think your setup for that might look a bit like your first setup with a full frame bag to carry more water.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:While it's good that they're trying to 'drop some weight' I'm not really sure what the article is trying to say beyond "bags are lighter than panniers and racks" ... who knew?

In some peoples minds, the fitting of soft luggage defines them as a 'bikepacker' ... it doesn't. It requires a shift in mindset, otherwise, you're simply touring with soft luggage. However, in this case, it looks like a change of ideas is taking place or maybe it was simply forced upon them by the reduction in carrying capacity? A 'bikepacking bike' should look streamline and purposeful, it shouldn't look like it was packed by the world Buckaroo champion.
Or dipped in glue and rolled around Millets.

Tbh - I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between 'bikepacking' and 'going for a ride with a tent and some other stuff'

It seems that there's a BB interpretation which might otherwise be Ultra-Bikepacking in that there's a strong focus on ultra-lightweight, but that's not all there is to bikepacking.
Some here are happy to use proper saddlebags and assorted stuff strapped to a front rack, and that's ok too. To me the difference between touring and bikepacking is more about where the luggage is carried rather than how much and that is driven by the desire to streamline the bike, not for speed but for convenience during any HaB. That and riding singletrack with a higher gnar factor than you could with panniers.

The only reasons the author of this article is downsizing and taking less stuff is because their bags are smaller, and it maybe that as a result they end up with their mindset altering.

If you rode your purposeful and streamlined looking bike on an extended expedition in Outer-Uristanland you might want to take a bit more stuff. How would you carry it? Would you consider yourself touring or would you be bikepacking? Or something else? Is there a halfway house? Some ante-room for those lost between mindsets?

For me there's a bit of a disconnect in the vogue for bikepacking as performed in some parts of the empire - strip it down to as little as possible, then find there isn't enough space to take what you need, and end up with an ungainly monstrosity in the desire not to use pre-revelation luggage. I think part of the problem in the 'Mercan shires is the need to be constantly updating sponsors slash adoring followers on twatter with the latest drone footage.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tbh - I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between 'bikepacking' and 'going for a ride with a tent and some other stuff'
Not sure there is one. People have being 'cycle camping' since the invention of the bicycle but 'need' giving way to 'want' is a fairly recent departure in the grand scheme.
To me the difference between touring and bikepacking is more about where the luggage is carried rather than how much and that is driven by the desire to streamline the bike, not for speed but for convenience during any HaB. That and riding singletrack with a higher gnar factor than you could with panniers.
Is there a knock-on effect by changing how / where stuff's carried that also leads to a reduction in what's taken ... simply due to less capacity?
If you rode your purposeful and streamlined looking bike on an extended expedition in Outer-Uristanland you might want to take a bit more stuff. How would you carry it?
I reckon this could be our homework project ... a nice thread about what you'd pack if you were planning to ride round the world. In by next Tuesday please :-bd
For me there's a bit of a disconnect in the vogue for bikepacking as performed in some parts of the empire - strip it down to as little as possible, then find there isn't enough space to take what you need, and end up with an ungainly monstrosity in the desire not to use pre-revelation luggage. I think part of the problem in the 'Mercan shires is the need to be constantly updating sponsors slash adoring followers on twatter with the latest drone footage.
#KeepBikepackingCrap :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The article does mention a drop in available volume from 102 litres to 43 litres so unless you'd packed the panniers extremely loosely then by necessity there's going to be a reduction in "stuff". Looking at those volumes - imagine them as rucksacks :shock:

I liked this comment:
"A few fellow ‘bike tourists’ who skeptically studied our new setups, did not only consider us as spartan but also silently were giving us those pity looks as if we had to suffer under our minimalist approach to bike travel."
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think that comment probably sums things up nicely Bob :wink: Personally, once I've stopped riding / pushing / carrying any suffering stops. I aim to be as comfortable as I can be but I don't need loads of crap to achieve it.
It seems that there's a BB interpretation which might otherwise be Ultra-Bikepacking in that there's a strong focus on ultra-lightweight
I think for some (myself included) packing light is a kind of personal challenge and perhaps its own reward?