bikes on planes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

bikes on planes

Post by windjammer »

need to book a flight to venice in june, ryanair want £61 each way to take a bike is this a fair price,what other airlines offer a cheaper bike carriage
Richard G

Re: bikes on planes

Post by Richard G »

It's inclusive with your ticket price with BA, assuming you have the baggage allowance to cover it. You'd only get one bag by default as a standard passenger in Europe, so you'd need to take whatever else you needed as hand luggage.

Other airlines here: https://www.skyscanner.net/news/airline ... ke-onboard
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Richard G wrote: Other airlines here: https://www.skyscanner.net/news/airline ... ke-onboard
What a surprise!
Ryanair charged more than the others for extras!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That's pretty much their business model though.

You're fine with them if all you want to do is take a bit of hand luggage to some podunk airport in Europe... but I wouldn't use them for much else.

Once you start stacking up the extras you can often find that other airlines are similar prices.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Ryanair etc are fine if you understand what you are getting (a seat on a plane) and play by their rules. anything extra you pay for.

BA etc are also fine if you understand you are paying for a whole load of stuff you probably won't use.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The last few times that I've taken a bike on a plane I've paid around £60 regardless of carrier.

Worth noting on that link is that some of the prices are in Euros and some in Pounds.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've just booked with easyjet to Munich. I think they were £42 each way, but the flights were slightly more expensive the Ryanair, so again it pretty much balances out.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

I commute to work with KLM and its 48 EURO to book the bike on...however beware of the phone number have to ring to book (same with most airlines) as it costs around 13p a minute to call.

I just google the KLM booking number for a free number (instead of their default number) and use that. OK its only £5 saving but it all ads up :-)