Wrapping Bars

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Wrapping Bars

Post by Mariner »

Was going to re wrap my Loops today but stupid cold in the garage and would have needed to wear thick gloves.
Anyway thinking about wrapping bars and it occurred to me that I could double wrap to save stripping the old stuff off.
Anyone double wrapped Jones Loops and does it look silly?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ianfitz

Re: Wrapping Bars

Post by ianfitz »

Yes and no (in my opinion)

It’s feels more comfy too. Which means IDGAF, as bikes is for riding not looking at. :-bd

See also mudguards etc.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mine are double wrapped, it's about the same thickness as the grips.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mariner wrote:....does it look silly?
I've only had my Jones on the bike for 2 weeks. From the looks and comments I get from my (uninformed) friends, if you're worried about looking silly Jones are not for you :lol: Although even after only a few rides I no longer see them as different, they look right to me, and I can't imagine having normal bars on the bike again. I even got 2 PB's on last nights ride on downhill segments :o in the mud and slippery ground and I'm not a downhill kind of rider, I put this down to the added confidence I suddenly have in the bike with the bars and the position moving my weight back?

Back to the question, I did think about double wrapping the straight parts of mine and if I was doing it again I would, but I only had enough tape for a single wrap and didn't have the patience to wait and get some more. A thicker area on the front straight section would be nicer to hold in my opinion.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Is the current level of bar tape insufficient in any way or are you just trying to avoid taking the old tape off?

I've only double wrapped one set of (drop) bars, definitely makes a difference but the original tape was only 1.5mm so not much cushioning. I'd be wary about double wrapping on anything much thicker as you could get movement between the two layers. Also consider the size of your hands, double wrapped bars can be quite bulky and whereas grips like the ESI Chunky squash down a bit when you hold them you don't get this to the same extent with double wrapped tape.

On area of the Jones Loops that could benefit from double wrapping is either side of the stem clamp if you are dropping into an aero tuck, like at roughly 60 seconds into this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUxIflfeqLc, it would give a bit of extra cushioning to your lower arm.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

whitestone wrote:On area of the Jones Loops that could benefit from double wrapping is either side of the stem clamp if you are dropping into an aero tuck, like at roughly 60 seconds into this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUxIflfeqLc, it would give a bit of extra cushioning to your lower arm.
I've put gel pads under the tape on my Jones bars either side of the stem clamp (nearer part of the loop) - not double wrapped but definitely comfier for the above and riding with hands close to the stem - used the ones with a curve so the gel goes to the loop welds where the heel of my hands often are too.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I have wrapped mine in a single layer of cinelli chubby and works fine. It is just around the brake levers and shifters where it gets tricky, as you can't really over wrap them like a set of drops, a double layer could work, but would look and feel bulky.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

[quote........or are you just trying to avoid taking the old tape off?[/quote]

Guilty. :oops:
I had a play about just lifted the finishing tape and found the bar tape was just lifting the surface leaving the other bit stuck to the bars.
I doubt its actually stuck as there is only the adhesive strip there.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Mine are double-wrapped. Looks pretty normal - I use one old layer as a base and a new layer on top. I'm cheap / it looks smoother anyway.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

A word about grips on the Jones. The ESI ones are nice but expensive and almost impossible if to remove in one piece if you need to get them off. I spent 3 months riding in the US\Canada last year using a pair of £4.99 Clarks grips (that's the price for four). They were pretty knackered at the end though.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clar ... -prod71543

I've got a long trip planned for this year and will probably go with my other favourites, ODI Longneck XL at £10.99.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/odi- ... -prod74835
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I took the ESI grips off my Jones bars last week. I was expecting a right old tussle given how hard they'd been to get on even using the technique (lack of) demonstrated by ESI's boss. Turned out to be pretty easy, one came off without any damage, the other has a very small hole. Quite possibly beginners luck.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use the Clarks foam "tubes" too. I prefer them (especially on the wider bars) as I can use the extra length to set the controls inwards and/or put a bit of foam on each side of the controls (so, fill the gap between controls and weld). I've had them on the fatbike for years and on the Pact all last year. No problems with wear. I've never bothered glueing them on.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I got some Ritchey ones that CRC were selling off as a temporary set until the ESI ones were back in stock.
That was three years ago pretty tatty looking but I like them as they are double ended lock on.